Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
charged negative spaces
By luminzstudios Comments: 23, member since Fri Jan 12, 2007
On Sat Jan 13, 2007 06:44 AM
Thanks for this simple reference to help jump start the process.
Here is a fun thing to try:
if you have three dancers start with movements for one, fit the next dancer into those movements and then the next. Take away the first dancer and see what happens in the negative spaces created by the remaining two.
re: Simple Guide To Choreography
By a_i_m_e_emember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 74, member since Fri Dec 29, 2006
On Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:42 AM
thanks for all the advice i need to make up a dance for a show soon and i will really help!
By fuego7_mariamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 377, member since Wed Feb 26, 2003
On Tue Feb 20, 2007 04:25 AM
great advice!
thanx!!
karma 4u!
By turtlepancakesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 397, member since Sun Dec 03, 2006
On Sat Mar 24, 2007 09:53 PM
this is awesome advice.
im bookmarking this thread.
and giving you karma :]
By Stareblueeyes22 Comments: 205, member since Mon May 24, 2004
On Mon Mar 26, 2007 09:38 PM
So I am not going to add to the list of choregraphical items already on here, but I would love to add that this is extremely exciting to see! I am tired of seeing competition dance after dance that's only point of interest in the entire dance is cannon. Let's get some of the modern/concert dance methods out to those areas and really see what happens to the dance world when we start out our young students with that kind of difficult and inventive choreogrphy!
By Juniebee23 Comments: 64, member since Fri Dec 08, 2006
On Sat May 05, 2007 02:10 PM
Thanks. This will be VERY helpful in upcoming classes. I'm in college too. =]
By pointe92member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 807, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 06:46 PM
thank you muffinhead I liked the five levels. Thanks again !!!
~pointe29~
By All4God Comments: 24, member since Mon Aug 20, 2007
On Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:33 AM
Wow! Thats wonderful! Thanks for the info! I'mnot doing any choreography classes at this point but I've saved a copy of it for future reference!
By Chapter17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 339, member since Fri Aug 24, 2007
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:17 AM
Yay, I was sorta freaking out because I was so lost. I have to do this dance for three other girls..and I had no ideas. Thanks!
By moderngoneballet Comments: 88, member since Thu Jan 25, 2007
On Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:13 PM
Mad props to all of you who added on. Mydance teacher always told me that I was great at improv but not so good at choreography. The tipes y'all included may help m to take what my body creates in the moment and translate it into good choreography.
By tammidans Comments: 46, member since Sat Aug 25, 2007
On Thu Sep 27, 2007 06:26 AM
Well for the umpteenth time,Thanks for reminding me of why I liked what I was doing.Dancing teaching dancing and inspiring others to enjoy and and express joy while dancing. The steps are learned (like letters of the alphabet)and then the dances come( like writing,speaking.
And like speaking there many, many,many different languages,each with it's own form of expression.
Just reading through,helped me think of more creative ways to teach ballet class!
Thanks for taking the time,all of you who put your versions or pointers,to put these ideas on paper.
By tammidans Comments: 46, member since Sat Aug 25, 2007
On Thu Sep 27, 2007 06:27 AM
Well for the umpteenth time,Thanks for reminding me of why I liked what I was doing.Dancing teaching dancing and inspiring others to enjoy and and express joy while dancing. The steps are learned (like letters of the alphabet)and then the dances come( like writing,speaking.
And like speaking there many, many,many different languages,each with it's own form of expression.
Just reading through,helped me think of more creative ways to teach ballet class!
Thanks for taking the time,all of you who put your versions or pointers,to put these ideas on paper.
By nycdancer4u Comments: 106, member since Wed Jan 16, 2008
On Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:11 PM
Thank you sooo much my choreography is lacking badly. I also saved this as a reference point. if you don't mind my asking was all this information given to you at college or is it an acculamation of h.s and college. I've taken composition classes currently at college and I've never received amazing information like this. Then again my school sucks!!!!!
By itsmedancing Comments: 39, member since Fri Dec 21, 2007
On Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:02 PM
girl, thanks for that. you are a life saver.
By cattaPILAR Comments: 2, member since Thu Feb 07, 2008
On Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 AM
Thank you so much for the guide. I'm a senior in High School and i'm working on an independent study. I am choreographing a dance for my final project, and because i have almost zero experience choreographing a full piece, i've been finding myself running out of ideas and innovation. This was a big help to me, so thank you very much.
By Jessica25 Comments: 7, member since Sat Jul 05, 2008
On Sat Jul 05, 2008 08:51 PM
Quite a thorough analysis!!! :)
MuffinHead wrote:

-- Monotony is fatal. Dynamics are important.

A friend of mine who is learning Bharatanatyam said that the modern dance choreographies are very primitive compared with Bharatanatyam.
What do you think of this video, and this one?

I want to learn those neck movements! :)
By my0nlyhope Comments: 21, member since Mon Jan 21, 2008
On Fri Jul 25, 2008 05:21 AM
Thanks for posting! It really helped. :)
By truworshiper Comments: 71, member since Fri Oct 19, 2007
On Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:20 PM
Very helpful! I am saving it !
By lyraleperformer Comments: 29, member since Thu Jun 05, 2008
On Sun Jan 11, 2009 03:46 PM
thanks! that is so helpful!
By dancefreak365 Comments: 39, member since Wed Oct 01, 2008
On Sat Feb 14, 2009 04:31 PM
this is an awesome guide to choreography...my teachers are always trying to expand our minds in "choreographic elements"...i would like to become a dance teacher and i would like to choreograph some dances keep posting awesome things!!! =]
By Hoodster777member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 673, member since Tue Apr 27, 2004
On Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 PM
This is incredibly helpful to me! I'm in Choreography 2, and I have to choreograph a piece for my college's spring recital. My problem is that I feel like all I've really learned is how to stage a dance, so this is very helpful to me- especially since my dance was very close to turning into "turn kick chassé leap".
By star331 Comments: 2, member since Tue Jun 30, 2009
On Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:02 AM
I'm actually choreographing my first piece now. I was so stuck and confused i used a lot of written but there was so much more i was knowledgeable of, but you made me think in a different manner.

Thanks so much.
By Olivia5Dances Comments: 14, member since Tue Aug 11, 2009
On Sun Aug 16, 2009 04:55 PM
This was absolutley fantastic! :) especially for those of us who get stuck sometimes with choreography. Lol I really liked the garbage bag piece, it works :) thanks a bunch
By luv2dance5678 Comments: 54, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:35 PM
This is awesome! This has really opened my eyes and my mind to some new ideas. This makes me want to get up and dance right now. I can't wait to try some of these outstanding ideas. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post this.
By Dazzling_Jade Comments: 13, member since Tue Sep 22, 2009
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:09 PM
I just meditate and feel the music before adding movements to them. this is a great tip for choreography
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch