Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
so, you think you can dance??
By leezathebaleriza
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 03:54 AM

hi, just wondering if anyone is going to participate in tv3's upcoming programme, "so you think you can dance??"

48 Replies to so, you think you can dance??

re: so, you think you can dance??
By port_de_brasmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 19, 2005 01:34 AM
Hey
Yea i filled out my application the other day. Its sounds so cool and i really want to do it. Are you entering?
Love Coutts
By leezathebaleriza
On Sat Nov 19, 2005 03:29 AM
o kool. yea it sounds quite cool, but i dont think i have the guts! i think ill jst watch it on tv! :D haha
By NZdancer
On Sat Nov 19, 2005 01:12 PM
Haha I dunno.. Might do it for fun.

My dancing friends and teacher wanna go mock the crap out of it. It's so ridiculous. What's the point? Real dancers don't need a show. What do you win?

Also, have you seen our Idol compared to international Idol shows? Whats our dance show going to be like compared to the other international shows? It's going to be awful. And what kind of judges are we going to have? There aren't many extablished choreographers in NZ.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:38 PM
Gee, dont have too much faith in New Zealand dancers, NZdancer (heh), you might build up someone's self esteem too much.

;)

I'd love to audition, but at the moment I dont think I'm good enough. If I participated in a show like that, I'd want to be of a really high calibre.

Good luck, port_de_bras, and anyone else who auditions.
By NZdancer
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 01:02 AM
Personally, I don't think there is a market for this show. I'm just really interested to know what the winner of this show will get. I mean, what kind of dancing work can you get in NZ? Not a lot I imagine. And if there isn't a lot of dancing work, then if you win a place in an agency, which agency? There is talent agencies but no dance agencies. I jsut think that there isn't really anything that can keep this going. It's not like music (Idol) You can produce albums and make money. As a dancer, you need to find work to get the money.

I dunno. Just My opinion. But I must confess, I filled out my aplication form the other day. Just think. Me on TV in a melon coloured g string leotard and black bike shorts with my jazz teacher in leg warmers, ballet gear and a hip belt!
By crystal_sky
On Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:33 AM
Haha omg leezathebaleriza, I came to this board to post the exact same question!! I filled out the application form... I applied for the chch one, but I live in Dunedin (5 hours drive away!!) so still dont no how im gonna get there!!

NZdancer, your comment made me laugh... melon g-string leotards are so in at the moment!! :D

Crystal x0x0
By leezathebaleriza
On Wed Nov 23, 2005 03:54 AM
o wow, nzdancer, so hot right now!

you know, melon is such a awesome colour!! and yea, i hear your opinion, good calls. good points, im looking forward to see ya on tv!! :D

really dont know if i want to do it.... ahhh cant decide. lol.
By flying_elephant
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 03:35 PM
yes i definatly agree with you all that it is a rather pathetic concept for new zealand...probably some money making scheme made up by people who have never danced in their lives...but i put my name down anyway haha
By NZdancer
On Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:36 PM
Has anyone heard back from the tv show yet? To comfirm or anything? Christchurch has had theirs. I'm still a bit phased. Some of my friends who have signed up for the Chch didn't get a email back and didn't know when their audition was and missed their chance for the show.

I filled in my application a while ago and stil havn't got a reply. I filled it out again and still nothing.
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 02:26 AM
NZdancer, not everyone who applied gets an audition. It's probably going to be like NZ Idol, just complete luck of the draw as to who gets an audition.

In answer to your question though, those I know who applied (from Auckland) haven't heard back yet.
By NZdancer
On Sat Jan 07, 2006 01:17 AM
Anyone heard back or auditioned for the show recently?
By flying_elephant
On Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:00 PM
yeah i did.i made it to the top 60.the experience brought a new light on reality tv shows for me, as they are not so 'reality'.you had to choose a song from a very limited list.im unsure of the judges names but one is a comtemporary dancer, one has danced with gwen stefani and geri halliwell and the other is a ballroom dancing instructor/judge.i was told where to go and where to stand and then do this and then go here and talk to this camera etc.i was encouraged to 'play' to the camera and was asked if i could cry for them when i didnt make it any futher.the judges comments towards some other people where slightly ridiculous and hurtful, which i believe was purely for the entertainment of the viewers.alot more goes on than what is shown on tv eg there are more selection processes.what i thought was unfair was a couple that danced a bit after me, their ballroom coach was one of the judges and they appear on the add for the show ??? but yes, a interesting experience.any futher questions feel free to ask...
By J_O_S_I_E
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 02:54 PM
I decided to watch the first show, see what its like, and then think about going for the second one...if it happens!! Michael Parmenter is one of the judges, as is a winner of the UK version of this show, and Malia Johnston is one of the choreographers on the show...but thats all i know....xx
By NZdancer
On Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:45 AM
Yeah one of the contemporary judges is Raewyn Hill. Pretty well known in New Zealand I think.

Liana Roberts is the dancer who has danced with Gwen and Geri. She was in I think the New Idea for amrrying her rugby husband. She is based in England.

I know 3 dancers who have gone for the week long process up in Auckland which is good.

Can I ask why they asked you to cry because you didn't get in? Gosh they dramatise everything. Where you disappointed so you could do it? Gosh. That's extreme.

Kinda glad I didn't end up doing it.
On Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:23 AM
One of the judges, who I think is named Chris, used to be my friend's teacher at uni. She got to audition for him, which was really cool.

Heh, about the reality aspect of it: They even had two days of auditions, and make the people who came back the second day pretend it was the same day!
By NZdancer
On Fri Jan 20, 2006 01:29 AM
Yeah I noticed that in the rules bit that if you got a call back to wear what you wore the day previous and guessed that they would try to make it look like the same day lol.

Tricks of the trade ay..?
By jenn_np
On Mon Jan 23, 2006 03:28 AM
ha
peter kemble was asked to do some if the tap choreography but decided against it as too many of his students were in it i think
By louie2003
On Thu Feb 09, 2006 01:08 AM
When does it go on tv?
By leezathebaleriza
On Thu Feb 09, 2006 01:38 AM
sunday at 730 on tv3... i think... yay, im quite excited, looking forward to seeing what dancers NZ has produced, and to see if i know anybody! hehe :D
By pointytoes
On Sat Feb 11, 2006 01:21 AM
Im really interested to see the show, I do highland dancing and the New Zealand champ tried out for the show I think she got into the top 60 or 30 not sure . She said pretty much the same thing as flying elephant.
By Angelmum
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 01:29 AM
I watched the show tonight.

I enjoyed it and it was better because I knew some of the dancers involved. It's hard to adopt a new type of dancing with only a short time to learn the choreography, but it can be done, as was proved by those dancers chosen to go to the next level.
One thing, I do feel that the judges do not seem to give specific comments as to how you could improve. Some comments just don't seem relevant. "You'll dance better in high heels?" Come on!
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 04:55 PM
I personally found the waltz really distinguished the formally trained dancers from the hip hop group!

I think those dancers who can do a good hip hop dance, but have been formally trained in other styles also are the most versatile dancers. A lot of the hip hop dancers don't seem to have any formal training in musicality and picking things up quickly.

I think those classically trained dancers which can do a more hip hop style, are excellent. Me, I feel so uncoordinated doing hip hop (ballet backgound), but waltzing? How is that hard? You only have to count up to 3! I was really surprised at the amount of hip hop dancers that couldn't even do that. I think it just showed a lack of years of training behind them.
By qteegurl
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 07:58 PM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2006-02-20 23:21:45 You must type out full words in English if you want people to understand what you wrote.
YEP, I auditioned for "so u think u can dance"

Its an awesum experience guyz! But that thought of rejection iz just so depressing! LOL, na but I reckon I done really well making it thru to the 2nd round n all. I dont know bout you guyz but I'v never seen thoz judges before in my life, oh well, they were str8 up! Actually doing the audition has helped me grow in confidence, so in the mean time I'll be looking to improve on different dance styles and getting out of my comfort zone, rather than doing hip hop all the time.....I watched myself on lastnites show...LOL
By leezathebaleriza
On Fri Mar 03, 2006 02:50 AM
o yay, a 90 minute special on this sunday, anyone else excited! haha. onli wish i could of been in the audience!!! im really enjoying the series eh, its so intresting, and the workshop looked really fun, broadening everybodys horizons, exposing them to different art forms! looked like fun anyway.

whos everybodys pic for the winner? lol.... im picking between daniel and sharnika.. (thats probably only because i know them! bias!) hehe. na, but seriously, theyre awesome!
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch