Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

RNZBs production of The Nutcracker
By leezathebaleriza
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 04:01 AM

Anyone see this? I did, enjoyed it. The Royal New Zealand Ballet always put on a good show. Story was changed quite a lot- set in a hospital!? That was different to see. A more comical take on a traditional ballet. Still think I like the original better. I seemed to miss the tutu's!

What did you think?

11 Replies to RNZBs production of The Nutcracker

re: RNZBs production of The Nutcracker
By jenn_np
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:39 PM
it didnt come to new plymouth :(
the last RNZB we had was peter pan which was pretty bad in my opinion, but everyone i know who's seen The Nutcracker said it's awesome!
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:29 PM
I'm going on the 9th, I'm SO excited!!!

My friend's taking me because he really wants to see it, but he's a typical Kiwi male and can't be seen going to the Ballet alone lol.
By Angelmum
On Fri Nov 25, 2005 08:45 PM
We saw The Nutcracker as well...

I was disappointed in RNZB's version - it seemed to lack guts and the company artists (who are very good and competent dancers) didn't seem to 'flow' with their dances (the flowers and the latern dance). When I go to the ballet, I try to be open minded and fair about interpretations and such, but come on, The Nutcracker is not set in a hospital, it has a tradition that must be kept because it IS the Nutcracker!

I really enjoyed the three 'crutch' dancers.
By jenn_np
On Fri Nov 25, 2005 09:41 PM
mm I agree with the tradition thing, I mean, there's taking a new spin on something but you can easily take it too far..
sometimes I like going to "modern" versions of stuff, but I always like the Russian ballet for the traditional ballets.
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Sat Nov 26, 2005 02:18 PM
mm I'll reserve judgement until I see it. But really, the nutcracker is usually done SOOO often, it's good it has a change.

I don't usually like plain old classical ballets though, I prefer the characterisation, or modern spin put on things. Plus I like the RNZB as they usually have good acting skills and you can FEEL them getting into it, whereas the russians always seem to lack life and/or passion to me. Too wooden.

I saw the Trocks last weekend in Wellington though, somehow I don't think the RNZB is going to beat them! They were Soooo funny, and really good too.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 09:17 PM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2005-12-09 21:19:30
I went to it last night. My goodness, it was amazing.

Because, unlike most of you, I have not been tainted by having already seen the original Nutcracker, I really enjoyed it being set in a hospital. It made sense to me.

I was almost in tears during the pas de deux (with Clytie Campbell and Qi Huan). It was so, so, so good.

And, of course, my love for Michael Braun has only grown lol. I could even pick out which one he was lol. *sighs* Hottie!
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 02:29 AM
haha. Umm yeah. You want me to tell you the stories I heard about him?? Umm na, I'll let you live in dream land.

I personally thought there was a total LACK of nutcracker in the nutcracker.

Like they lost the whole story! But then again, the story was pretty weak in the first place, more of an excuse to set a whole lot of little dance to the beautiful score.

I forgot how much I loved the score until the overture started!

Anyways, glad you enjoyed it Dipsy, or whatever your name is now..

I didn't like it so much, but then I'm not big on family ballets anymore, I like contemporary pieces, and much more character driven (like Dracula was) ballets better I think. Odd to think my tastes are changing.
By jenn_np
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 02:21 PM
oo my brother was in the orchestra for Dracula, he's not even the biggest ballet fan but he said it was AMAZING.
By flying_elephant
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 03:30 PM
it was really courageous and magical.i didnt really like the sugar plum fairy dance but i love the variation so im pretty biased there.nevertheless it would be very difficult to live up to the origional nutcracker, but i think it was a good attempt.
By NZDanzer
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 07:32 PM
I loved the new version of the Nutcracker. Thought the different interpretation to the score was brilliant. I wish more choreographers would be so bold as to change things a bit. I am always amused by those who fiecely defend the original choreography and become almost offended if someone dares to mess with it! The old choreography will always be there ... it hasn't disappeared, just because a new one has been devised.

Thought the costumes were gorgeous. Tend to agree with others that it had even less relevance to the actual "nutcracker" than the original - but hey ... at the end of the day it was magical.
On Mon Dec 12, 2005 02:51 AM
^yeah i don't think i would have liked the nutcracker original much better... It's like when I went to Annie and although the cast were EXCELLENT, and the kids cute, I kind of remembered I don't like annie?

Same thing, they were good, the story was even more random than usual, but then again it never was majorly exciting. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of the actual nutcracker, LOVEd the music, and the dancing was ok I guess. I think I just remembered it never was the MOST exciting of ballets.

As for dracula, That was the best RNZBallet I have EVER been too. And I've been to all of their ballets (bar one or two) in the last 4 years. (ever since I discovered they have $20 tertiary student tickets)

ReplySendWatch