Forum: General / Success Stories

I'm a Pas de Deux Student Creating Pas de Deux Choreography on Dance dot net
By BalletdogPremium member
On Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:31 AM

Linh, what a great idea! Here’s my DDN success story. I’m a guy who really loves pas de deux, and I have over six years experience in a classroom setting. But I’ve never had a forum for expanding my knowledge of pas through writing about it, or creating pas de deux choreography. I now have these forums through Dance dot net.

Last summer I created a set of pas de deux scenes for Dance Net Ballet Theatre.

Since June I’ve had a really great virtual pas de deux partner on DDN. I write a pas de deux lesson every week and PM it to her. Each lesson is written as though it’s given by my real life pas teacher, actually talking us through the lesson using our names. My virtual partner “takes” the lesson in her head, going through all the pas steps, and then PMs me back on what went “well”, what was “hard”, what was the best part of the lesson, and so on. It’s Great Fun! I’m going to start creating pas de deux scenes – not just lessons – for us. I’m going to try my hand at creating pas de deux storylines involving love, intrigue, tragedy. Dance dot net gives me the forum for doing this.

I also spend time on the Pas De Deux forum under the Ballet board, answering “how do I do?” pas questions. I can’t tell you how much this has sharpened my knowledge, having to work out and verbally describe in detail what the guy does and what the girl does for many different pas steps.

Thanks Linh,

Balletdog/Rick

3 Replies to I'm a Pas de Deux Student Creating Pas de Deux Choreography on Dance dot net

re: I'm a Pas de Deux Student Creating Pas de Deux Choreography on Dance dot net
By moustachegai
On Mon Dec 19, 2005 06:58 AM
your story was an inspiration and fantastic to read. hope you get all the best because you sure deserve it!!
re: I'm a Pas de Deux Student Creating Pas de Deux Choreography on Dance dot net
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 26, 2005 09:07 AM
That is such a cool and clever idea on so many levels! I can imagine all the different parts of ones brain that is used when trying to mentally work through a pas de deux without actually dancing it. Wow! That really sounds like an excellent way to work out a piece of choreography. Have you actually been able to dance for real in person, any of the pieces yet [or planning to?] If you do, maybe someone could video tape it...some DDNers would probably enjoy seeing it too. :)
By BalletdogPremium member
On Mon Dec 26, 2005 02:44 PM
Smileywoman,

Thank you for such a nice response. I've read your success story and I think it's great!

Thanks for recognizing the mental work it takes to create pas choreography, especially without a partner standing next to me. It definitely sharpens my mind. I'm simply a ballet student who started as an adult, not a teacher/choreographer with students to create choreography for. The two wonderful DDN members alluded to in my post above (one through Dance Net Ballet Theatre, and now my virtual DDN partner) opened the doors for me to try my hand at creating pas de deux...and I found I have a talent for it.

I haven't yet danced any of my choreo, but it now has the attention of my teacher, and we're going to try some of it with my partners. As for putting video onto DDN...it's really sweet that you suggest it. I don't own a digital video camera - I use my vintage 1997 tape camcorder - but maybe someday if I like it enough :].

The wonderful thing about DDN being my forum, is that I create the choreo with the freedom to make it what I want. Since doing my post above, I've created a wonderful love scene, and a very cute scene between Walt Disney's famous ducks Donald and Daisy, both to my DDN partner. She - my DDN partner - is the greatest, most encouraging, audience for me. She loves and appreciates my choreo, and spurs me on to greater heights (and we've never met, we live 2000 miles apart).

Thank you for your interest,

Rick

ReplySendWatch