Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Pushy skating mums?
By etoile_et_lune
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 02:34 AM

Does anyone else find that mums of junior champions are usually really pushy? There was this mum at my rink who has this amazing skater daughter (who I might add is like a twig - rumor has it that she does have an ED and I wouldn't be suprised) and she got some bread and soup from the canteen at the rink and the mum snatched hte bread of her daughter and told her she couldn't eat carbs becuase she was too fat!!! And hte mum's really big and her daughter is too tiny! and there are other heaps pushy mums who lay into the coaches if they critisize their kids work!!! Is it just my rink or is it like a skating thing?

11 Replies to Pushy skating mums?

re: Pushy skating mums?
By twinkletoes84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 03:17 AM
well when i used to skate... there was plenty of pushy mums... even for novice skaters never mind junior champions.... its sooo hard to watch kids go through this.... they cant be enjoying themselves as much..... yes of course they need to practice hard etc but its harsh when pushy parents dont let their kids eat properly.. i mean where is she gonna get any energy from? and yell all the time.

have you nseen "Ice Princess".... the parents are really pushy with the 3 junior champions but even in that novice class... that mum shouts at that kid... "your toepick is there for a reason... use it or no friends over for a week"! eeeeeekkkk.

twinkletoes x
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:33 PM
In any sport, particularly a "judged" sport where appearance is important you'll find pushy stage moms. It's pretty sad, but something that I've come to expect. Hopefully the girl you're talking about will see past her mothers ignorance and do whats best for her and her career.
By etoile_et_lune
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 07:34 PM
yeah, I saw ice princess. I'm just really worried about the girl cos last night at training, someone said she passed out a little while ago from hunger and her mum still wouldn't let her eat! As someone with a distorted body image and food issues myself, I know that comments like that will do so much more harm than good. How else can I help her!!!
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 23, 2005 06:26 AM
Okay, there is a line between pushy-moms and dangerous-moms, and I think your friends mom has crossed the line. There are pushy-moms at my rink too 'don't get off the ice until I see you do 10 double flips!' and 'again! again! again!' types.
I think before you do or say anything, it's important to make sure that those rumours are actually true. If you see it happening yourself, or if you talk to the girl about it - like her passing out, or her mom really NOT letting her eat at all because she is 'fat', then it is important that the poor girl be given some help.
Another adult of authority - like a coach or doctor or something would be useful, because the problem seems to lie with the mom and not with the girl herself.
Lots of terrible things can come out of girls/boys/anyone with eating disorders especially those poor girls doing sports! Injuries can become so much more real.. I guess I don't have to go on, you probably already know most of the dangers.

It would be tough to talk to the mom yourself, maybe get some help? All the best, hope the girl is alright.
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:14 AM
There's one mom at our rink who, quite frankly, worries me.

a) She corrects her daughter's technique, even though she's never skated a day in her life.
b) The daughter's coach has her working on doubles, even though she has terrible floopy posture.
c) The girl skates three+ hours a day (she's homeschooled).
d) The girl (and her three siblings, who are at the rink at six-thirty with the mom and nothing to do) is not permitted to initiate conversation with anybody, on or off the ice.
e) The mom doesn't talk to the other moms at all anymore.

I've seen this little girl (henceforth known as LG) falling again and again on her axel. LG, crying, looks up to Mom. Mom says, "take a lap and do it again!" Coach agrees.

Oh, and did I mention that she's SIX?
By etoile_et_lune
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 01:28 AM
oh! The poor girl! I feel so sorry for her!!! This girl that I know has been skating for over 10 years now, following the same routine everyday for that time. Why do these mums do this?
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 09:40 AM
I'm not the only person in my rink who thinks this: Mom is convinced that LG is on the fast track to Olympic glory. The best way to approach skating is to want to push yourself to your OWN limits. As soon as you start hoping to get something out of it, it becomes an investment. And that's a ridiculous attitude (especially for such an expensive sport!). ONE girl will win the Olympics during the peak of any particular skater's career.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 07:22 PM
Oh no. These parents sound really scary. I've seen parents at my rink that try to correct their daughter's technique too, but the coach usually stays far away from agreeing. Rather dangerous, these skating moms. But I've never had it go so far as to have the parents not let their kids talk to other people at the rink. Ow.
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:27 PM
Hi we see it too in Disco freestyle parents who think they know better than teachers etc

Dancers come off the floor and get really shouted at by mothers saying they should have done this or that

All this is for a hobbie too as does not lead to olympics or anything

Love Mama DD's xxx
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 18, 2005 03:42 PM
there are parents that i know like that too... at my competition i knew this girl i was competiting against and the coach was holding her bakc like 3 levels so obiuvsly she was gonna do good, and she went out and landed up to double lutz double toe in sr.bronze and all her doubles and fell out of a double toe... she was like standing out even with that pull out, i was like oo i know who is gfonna get first and her mom started freaking out at her soo much from one jump.... she ended up being 1st, her mom is always at the rink yelling at her to work harder, get out there and practice... i thin is so mean becaue the kid is like 11 years old but now since her mom wants her to live her dream through the kids....
By Skate_Crazy
On Thu Jan 05, 2006 05:27 PM
That's so horrible! I feel so sorry for the kids who have to put up with that.

ReplySendWatch