Forum: Irish / Irish - Technique & Training

Page:
Page 3 of 3: 1 2 3
re: Ankle Injury Thread - including How Not to Sickle
By dramaqueen18
On Tue Feb 03, 2009 01:40 PM
WOW it really does hurt when you hurt your ankle cause I have hurt mine before thanks for sharing :)
By froofy
On Tue Aug 11, 2009 01:39 AM
Edited by froofy (215064) on 2009-08-11 01:40:47
Edited by froofy (215064) on 2009-08-11 01:41:51
Another example of sickling...putting the weight on the outside, on the pinky toe.

www.photeto.com . . .

I hope the image posts, I'm a noob here and don't see a link to upload an image :/
By abidancer
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:13 AM
Thanks for postging this. Very helpful. I sprained my ankle just before Christmas. Ouch, taking ages to heal
By calaca3
On Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:59 PM
Thanks for this timely information. My daughter rolled her ankle in class last week. She has been icing and wearing a brace, but it still hurts. I think she pronates. I'll have her try some of these exercises, since the dr. doesn't think she needs PT ... yet, anyhow!
By IDMom99
On Wed Apr 21, 2010 02:18 PM
Good information. My daughter rolled her ankles twice last week. I now know to have her do the exercises instead of blaming the floor. Thanks.
By laq
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 06:19 PM
THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH

seriously i have been searching for this every where for my daughter!

what is the best ankle bandz thing ? is there a difference?
By tgc
On Sat Sep 24, 2011 08:04 AM
Wow, those photos are very telling and informative. Thanks for the detail and exercises.
By d8ncr00
On Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:43 PM
My daughter constantly "rolls" over on her ankle. She has requested that we see a physician. We have not yet done so. Maybe some of the suggested exercises can help.
By inspiringID
On Sat Jun 09, 2012 06:49 AM
Thanks for all this information! Will help me when practicing and seeing if my feet are positioned correctly
By chirofeiser
On Sat Nov 03, 2012 02:56 PM
Great advice, and good excercises. If you have injured your ankle in the past, there is an excercise that can help prevent reinjury. Holding your lower leg straight and using only ankle movement, write the letters of the alphabet in the air. It gets the ankle moving and improves the brain's connection to the ankle and foot.
By Feisfille
On Thu Apr 18, 2013 07:07 AM
My 9yr old DD has just 'gone over' on her ankle whilst trying to master a new jump w/double kick on follow through in her hard shoe. The pain is in her ankle and extends down the outside of her foot. I suspect she has been trying to hold her turnout in the air so that she lands with it still turned out ( something her teacher is always pointing out - her back foot is too parallel). I have ordered a couple of Therabands and a wobble board and she is practicing her releves on the stairs. I notice that some advice is to do these with feet in parallel and others advise that the feet should be turned out. Which is best/safest? Also, her teacher claims to have corrected his pigeon-toes by concentrating on turning his feet out even when walkin. Is this ok? Thanks so much...great post.
By Anmmom
On Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:30 PM
This will be very useful for my dd. She needs to strengthen her ankles for better off heals.
By DeTamble
On Thu Jun 13, 2013 09:57 PM
My son has pronated ankles, he's just started ballet, and will start Highland later this year, and possibly Irish as well.

I've been quite worried about his ankles, so thank you to the original poster and every one else for chipping in. It's been very helpful!
By amatob4
On Thu Jul 11, 2013 01:03 PM
Thank you for the tips! My daughter is constantly doing that to her ankles.
By sonksonk
On Sat Oct 10, 2015 01:01 PM
Even after some years of regular exercises I have a weak ankles. well, they are better now - when I started irish dancing I could twist the ankle four or five time during a ONE dance. It's better now, but sometimes I twist the left one, so I always put on the ankle support to prevent a serious damage. It helps a lot.
SPECIAL OFFER for Dancer's Massage
By DanceIfYouCan
On Fri Jan 06, 2017 02:19 PM
Prepare like a Champion!

Are you practicing for competitions leading up to and including The World Irish Dance Championships in Dublin 2017?

Do you practice in Birmingham, UK?

Check out my new website @ fitandrunning.co.uk or call 07960657280 for offers on Dancer's massage.

I am Professionally trained and a former Irish dance champion myself, I know what every dancer needs to progress, stay flexible, stay injury free and to peak on form, to be firing on all cylinders for their BIG day on stage at the World's.

There is a SPECIAL Dancers massage put in place to help with those tight painful muscles, aid recover from injury, getting you back on the stage faster, sharper and fitter.

"The massage therapist is part of a dancer�s whole physiological team"

RECOVERY FROM PHYSICAL ACTIVITY

Instinctively the body heals itself it performs the recovery process through circulation of the blood flushing out waste products that build up in the muscles during intense physical activity. It provides nutrients and repairs any tissue damage however this process takes time and a rest period is necessary. Dancers� schedule often makes this required rest period very difficult to achieve. Massage is a safe and effective method of speeding up the recovery process.

OVERUSE INJURIES IN IRISH DANCE

Overuse injuries occur because muscles are worked hard during training, rehearsal or performance and are not rested fully. In the next class, rehearsal or performance the muscles are not fully recovered from the last session. It is as important to have a high quality recovery practice to maintain wellbeing and enhance your true potential. Overuse is the most common cause of muscular imbalances and injury in dance. If these are not noticed early on they can impair performance or worse can lead to chronic injures.

BENEFITS OF MASSAGE FOR IRISH DANCERS:

- Massage aids and speed up the body�s natural recovery process
- Massage helps prevent injury
- Massage enhances performance by releasing muscular tension
- Massage aid the healing process with minor soft tissue injuries

Anthony Casserly
BSc Hons Sports Therapy
Page:
Page 3 of 3: 1 2 3

ReplySendWatch Draw