Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Hey, having trouble with 1 foot spin
By etoile_et_lune
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:32 AM

Because I quit skating for a year, i'm not having difficulty doing the most simple things I used to take for granted. I used to be able to do an almost perfect 1 foot spin but now I hardly can at all! I think I'm just afraid of tripping over my toe picks and falling flat on my face. Any ideas on how to get them again? Any tips on how to stay upright. The other thing is, I jsut can't seem to bring my foot in and down my leg. It's like I'm spinning to fast to be able to get it in to my body! Please help! I have no idea what to do!!!

2 Replies to Hey, having trouble with 1 foot spin

re: Hey, having trouble with 1 foot spin
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 06:28 AM
Hey, just a couple of things.
If balance is a problem - try doing a two foot spin then picking up one foot into a one foot spin. Or you can try the pivot entry - i used to find it more stable than the crossovers entry into the spin.
Bringing in your leg - sometimes you feel this HUGE resistance when you try to bring in your free leg to cross it. This is usually because your leg is too far out to the side. (Too far to the side means you have to spend energy bringing your leg round to the front to the other leg, instead of straight in) Try to hold your free leg further in front (less than 45 degrees) and directly under your arm) and when you try to bring it in, bend your knee (so your free foot reaches your skating knee) then slowly lower it.

Hope this makes sense!
re: Hey, having trouble with 1 foot spin
By etoile_et_lune
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 04:47 PM
yeah, it does make sense. Thank you so much! I'll try it at training tomorrow :)

ReplySendWatch