Forum: General / Hip Hop / Capoeira

Important Question
By x2dl
On Tue Nov 29, 2005 06:16 AM

Why is Capoeira under Hip-Hop?
It's not even stricktly dance it's a martial art masqued as a dance!
and not Hip-Hop under any circumstances!

XL

Peace

5 Replies to Important Question

re: Important Question
By Narahari2
On Thu Dec 01, 2005 05:08 PM
Why dance?
The Library of Congress files capoeira under dance most likely because it is done to music. If you have ever taken a capoeira class, you would know that many people come to capoeira from a dance background. This is a backgroud that gives very strong head start in capoeira. Of course, capoeira is a dance rooted in violence and danger, and many very fine dancers are unable to accept this.
Why hip hop?
If you have ever played with breakers, you would know that the way they move is closer to the way we move than anything else. Nothing give one a greater head start in capoeira than break dancing. So hip hop may not be completely the correct place to put capoeira, but it is better than anything else.
By alexa1
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:27 AM
because capoeira is a dance and a martial art besides i am sure that capoeira would not fit under the catagorey of ballet either.
By SpellieDev
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 06:27 PM
^it might as well be...from the way they classify stuff. LOL

breaking and capoeira are 2 WAY different schools of thought. a bboy will have to unlearn everything he knows about breaking while doing capoeira, or else he'll look retarded. it's not about poses and combos and footwork, it's about the game and interacting with the person you're playing with.

gymnists will find it easier to do capoeira because of the training and acro stuff, but they still gotta learn to add that flavor to the movements that'll let them use it in a game.

yo narahari, you don't happen to belong to beiçola's school, by chance?
By Narahari2
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:11 PM
Of course. My buddy used to post on the old planetcapoeira forum under the name Capoeira Narahari. When I started posting on this forum, I could not think of anything more original than Narahari2.

I have read, I do not know if it is true, that breaking had its origins from a Brooklyn fighting form called 52 Hand, Jailhouse Rock or Uprocking, and that current breaking comes from the Bronx style. Do you know anything about this.
By SpellieDev
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 07:12 PM
All I know is Mestre Acordeon mentioned in his book that he did a tour for this Capoeira troupe, and had a demonstration at Yale in the early 70's or something. I'm willing to bet that had something to do with it. Probably not from Acordeon himself, but maybe his students were at some party somewhere and busted it out for fun. I dunno, at this point it's all my speculation.

I know jailhouse rock has alot of elbow strikes and joint-breaking stuff because it could still be done even while handcuffed or shackled. That's all I know about it. I've always believed that bboy uprocking movements were taken from Maculele. Just take away the machetes and you've got uprocking pretty much.

btw I know Capoeira Narahari because I used to learn under Beiçola's former student, Entrada...the school used to be called Capoeira Batucada but now it's Capoeira Hawaii. If you see Beiçola again tell him Bujaõ from Hawaii says hello. He might not remember me, but he gave me my green-yellow cordaõ at a batizado here like 5 years ago.

ReplySendWatch