Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Beauty
all about ACNE (karma: 16)
By Fuboo Comments: 133, member since Fri Apr 23, 2004
On Fri Dec 02, 2005 02:16 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-12-05 00:37:47

All about acne.I apolagize if some of it is confusing but you should understand how it works.

What Causes Acne?

Acne is a result of an imbalance of two or more factors in skin physiology relating to the sebaceous gland and duct system. When our body physiology is working properly, small amounts of oil (called sebum) are produced in the sebaceous glands in the dermis or deeper part of the skin. These sebaceous glands share a duct or tubule that goes to the skin with a small hair. When either too much oil is produced or blockage of the tubule preventing the escape of oil occurs, the net result is acne. The most common causes of acne are an increased production of sebaceous material due to hormone imbalance or side effects of stress that cause an overproduction of sebaceous material.
However, almost always with the occurrence of acne, there is also a related phenomenon called retention keratosis. These two big words actually refer to the lining cells of the sebaceous duct not shedding properly and staying in place for a longer period of time. This builds up like rust in a pipe until the duct is closed or blocked. When this happens, it sets events occurring that proceed to inflammation or an irritation underneath the surface of the skin. If one imagines that the sebaceous duct were a small stream that got plugged up, it causes a backup of everything upstream from the direction of flow.
Another factor is the presence of several different types of skin bacteria that normally don’t cause problems. However, when trapped beneath the skin, the bacteria begin to react chemically with the sebaceous material causing it to break down into free fatty acids. Free fatty acids are quite irritating to the deeper structure of the skin and result in inflammation.

Does stress cause acne?

Stress does not cause acne per se. Stress does stimulate our body enzyme and immune systems to cause a stimulation of the oil glands. It has been proven that lowering stress levels certainly can help to decrease oil production, and thus decrease the symptoms of acne.

Do fried foods cause acne?

Fried foods in excess certainly can cause us to gain weight. However, fried foods have not been shown to be related to causing acne. In fact, there aren’t any specific foods that cause acne.
Of course, skin health is directly related to a well balanced diet, adequate rest and general personal cleanliness. Many people have told me that a good order of tasty french fries properly cooked seemed to lower their stress level.

Who gets acne?

From a medical standpoint, one who gets acne has a combination of factors working in concert. Two or more factors can cause a condition based on the anatomy and physiology of the skin itself to promote an inflammatory response that we call acne.

The factors include:

# Increased oil – either production by the sebaceous glands or added (in makeup etc.)
# Retention Keratosis - skin cells that are not shed properly and plug sebaceous ducts
# Trapped bacteria under the skin’s surface – normally present and harmless as they are on the surface.

By and large, genetics can play a part in acne in that our genetic blueprint does influence thickness of skin, oily tendencies of the skin and basic hormone responses. However, just because one’s parent or another family member has acne, does not necessarily mean that you or I will have acne.

Helpful acne sites:
holistichealthtools.com . . .
acne-care.com

The best advice I believe anyone can give you, if your acne is miniscule or highly noticeable, talk to and visit a dermatologist.

Hope this helps.

Fuboo

43 Replies to all about ACNE

re: all about ACNE
By cesaria Comments: 457, member since Thu Jan 09, 2003
On Sat Dec 03, 2005 05:13 AM
Don't forget about those fabulous hormones! Women in the second half of their cycle can break out more easily, and for women with PCOS (like myself), it's a constant struggle.

Great post - really informative!
re:all about ACNE
By dancegur12 Comments: 771, member since Fri Jul 01, 2005
On Sat Dec 03, 2005 06:45 AM
Thank you so much this should really help!
dancegur12
By xsweet_moverxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1369, member since Sat May 14, 2005
On Sat Dec 03, 2005 06:54 AM
Hey :] x

Thank you so0o much ! :D
I couldn't resist to give you are karma ! :) x

Love,
Heather xxxxxxx
By dancegal2002 Comments: 924, member since Tue Feb 11, 2003
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 04:20 PM
awesome stuff, thanks heaps for posting! ~dancegal~ xoxo
By cass1243 Comments: 24, member since Fri Dec 02, 2005
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 08:28 AM
If you go to the dermatologist, ask them about Rent-A Micro. It works really good. I have and it clears my face right up, but lately it has been making my face dry. It may work for you, but everyone's skin is different.
By Sparkle_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1585, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 04:03 PM
thankyou very much :)

Ballet_Lover101
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Tue Dec 20, 2005 08:36 PM
Thank you soooo much. This is a really good post. It cleared up a lot of my acne questions.
By pointegirl33 Comments: 297, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Sat Jan 07, 2006 07:15 PM
Edited by pointegirl33 (120151) on 2006-01-07 19:18:18 D'oh!
Edited by pointegirl33 (120151) on 2006-01-07 19:19:06 D'oh!
Edited by pointegirl33 (120151) on 2006-01-07 19:20:26 how DO you spell immaturity?
Thanks, great post! Very imformative annnndddd....KARMA for you!

It cleared up a lot of my acne questions.

lol chachaballerina, I love the pun! Cleared up my acne questions! get it? get it? Sorry for the immaturity....lol

-pointe :D
By hnygurl423 Comments: 45, member since Sat Jan 14, 2006
On Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:54 AM
Also make sure that if you go to a dermatologist, he is a well credited, highly recommended person. I have a friend whom went to a dermatologist and he prescribed some medication which her family doctor was not happy about. Skin medication isn't anything to mess around with.
By pixie_punk Comments: 16, member since Tue Jan 24, 2006
On Fri Jan 27, 2006 01:18 PM
You are god.
Thank you sooooooo much.
Re: all about ACNE
By Giselle55member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 655, member since Thu Apr 08, 2004
On Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:39 AM
I'm not sure if is it just an overload on my immune system, or what, BUT, I am middle-aged and have developed food allergies that cause cyctic acne. As long as I avoid any corn products (boy, do I miss popcorn and corn on the cob!!!) and tapioca my skin is beautiful. But one small serving of either will give me a horrible break out that can last well over a week to get rid of, and it's ALWAYS on my face! So try to be aware if your skin breaks out after eating certain foods. It COULD be an allergic reaction. However, it can take time to develop. My break outs will be within an hour of eating the offending food, but I've heard of other people who won't break out until at least 24 hours later because the food goes through changes in the digestive tract that cause the reaction to occur later. It can be a real pill to figure out what is triggering the acne at that point. Keep a food journal. I also figured out why I was getting migraine headaches every August -- turns out that's when local cantaloupe melons are ripe and they were triggering the migraines. ANYWHO -- it could be milk or wheat or any number of things causing such break outs. Listen to your body and keep records of your diet. And good luck!
By lil_bunhead Comments: 288, member since Mon Mar 20, 2006
On Mon Mar 20, 2006 08:26 PM
Very informative post. You summed everything up and answered alot of questions. Thanks!

Does stress cause acne?

Stress does not cause acne per se. Stress does stimulate our body enzyme and immune systems to cause a stimulation of the oil glands. It has been proven that lowering stress levels certainly can help to decrease oil production, and thus decrease the symptoms of acne.

Do fried foods cause acne?

Fried foods in excess certainly can cause us to gain weight. However, fried foods have not been shown to be related to causing acne. In fact, there aren’t any specific foods that cause acne.
Of course, skin health is directly related to a well balanced diet, adequate rest and general personal cleanliness. Many people have told me that a good order of tasty french fries properly cooked seemed to lower their stress level.

It's all clear now! LOL

~*Kai*~ ;) :D ;)
acne.
By northstar666 Comments: 20, member since Mon Apr 10, 2006
On Mon Apr 10, 2006 08:25 AM
Thankyou so much for this information on acne.
I've been having a problem with spots,which is so not a good look for a dancer. I have tried everything under the sun and i'm afraid people just think i eat burgers,fries chocolate and
Doughnuts all the time, or just don't wash properly,when in reality i actually have a strict skincare regime,i cleanse,tone and moisturise night and morning and have very healthy diet.I suppose I just can't help my hormones.

Love and kisses
northstar666
By sotash Comments: 62, member since Thu Apr 20, 2006
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 09:27 PM
What about back acne (bacne)... what do you do about that? It's really embarrassing, especially in ballet, when we're required to wear the standard uniform, and my back is spotted with dark scars and bright red pimples. Any suggestions?
By Gaelic_Gal Comments: 175, member since Thu Mar 03, 2005
On Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:29 AM
PLEASE go to ACNE.ORG !! It is AMAZING!! Try the "REGIMEN"..
Tackling Acne or problem prone Areas
By twinklingtoes1 Comments: 32, member since Wed Apr 26, 2006
On Mon May 15, 2006 04:21 AM
As dancers we are constantly sweating and this reason alone makes it difficult to maintain perfectly clean and clear skin as frequently as we would all like. My best suggestion is to buy an exfoliating glove and a good body wash that specifically targets acne prone skin. I have also found that witch hazel wipes or witch hazel in the form of a toner really helps to clear acne prone skin. Hang in there it happens to the best of us!!!
By princessamy_10 Comments: 66, member since Sat May 20, 2006
On Sat May 20, 2006 02:27 PM
thankyou, your post has really helped me but the only problem is.. how dya get rid of them???! i;ve suffered from them for a few years and they do get me down and sometimes make me lose confidence but im sure they wont last forever ...well hopefully..fingers crossed lol neway i replied to say i liked your post and im sure it will help alot of other people including me! thanx
princessamy_10 xx
By khelashi Comments: 41, member since Tue May 02, 2006
On Tue May 30, 2006 06:32 AM
I have heard from many people now who tried a lot of products and just got frustrated. Then they switched to homemade cosmetic and were successfull! There are a lot of effective homemade remedies and everyone is different so you'd have to experiment - at least you can't do any real damage if you try something that doesn't work. The best I have heard so far for acne (I don't have acne but I have seen it work!) is baking soda! Use it to clean your face and then refresh it with peppermint tea.
By DancerJBH4member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 360, member since Sat Apr 22, 2006
On Fri Jul 28, 2006 08:34 AM
For those of you that are looking for a homemade solution to get rid of pimples here's what works for me: dab a little honey on it. But be sure to put your hair up first or it might get a little sticky.... Then you could also use a garlic clove. It clears pimples up pretty well.
hope that helped.
By hotrayb903 Comments: 55, member since Fri May 14, 2004
On Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:08 PM
Thanks alot. This is really helpful! :)
all about ACNE
By jess_ Comments: 28, member since Sat Aug 26, 2006
On Sun Sep 03, 2006 09:17 AM
Thanx, that really helped me make sense of it all! Good going on ya!
By sumlikeithott Comments: 20, member since Thu Feb 08, 2007
On Sun Jun 10, 2007 08:19 PM
I tried but it didn't really work that well :/ Maybe my body's just different?
By ballet_twin_2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 472, member since Sat Mar 10, 2007
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 08:25 PM
Awesome post! It's really helpful!
By k_dancer10 Comments: 24, member since Mon Jul 10, 2006
On Mon Jun 25, 2007 03:51 PM
Really great post!
Good information everyone should know!
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch