Forum: Ballet / Ballet Photos - Members

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

Ballet Photos - Members
Please Do Not Revive Old Threads (karma: 1)
By Claritinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2100, member since Tue Aug 30, 2005
On Sun Dec 04, 2005 06:55 PM
Edited by Claritin (139973) on 2005-12-04 19:04:53
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-12-04 19:20:54

So, recently I've noticed a rash of threads that are three or more months old popping up on the first page. Maybe it's just me being a cranky old woman or something (the man in the photo is my husband, by the way) but I would really appreciate if people stopped reviving old threads.

What happens when you reply to a thread that is on the third or fourth page is that it bumps it up to the first page. And once it's on the first page people will start responding to it again. Thus keeping the thread alive for longer than necessary and bumping newer threads to the bottom.

It is really frustrating wading through a sea of threads that I've already seen a hundred times (and months back, at that) and that have received 3+ pages of comments.

Moreover, it is unfair to the people who have new photos that are being bumped to the bottom. They end up not receiving as much feedback as they would have if their thread had stayed at the top for a while.

***Remember, if you feel absolutely compulsed to reply to a thread that is months old, you can always PM the author!

Also, authors, if you see this happening to your old thread, lock it! It would be greatly appreciated (and a special thanks to Elfie who already does this :))

Please take heed of this message and have a lovely day

-Allegra

32 Replies to Please Do Not Revive Old Threads

re: Please Do Not Revive Old Threads
By JazZ_BaLlerina31 Comments: 452, member since Sat Jul 09, 2005
On Sun Dec 04, 2005 06:58 PM
Edited by JazZ_BaLlerina31 (135558) on 2005-12-04 18:59:51
Yay Claritin! I get tired of the bumped up posts too!
Wooo! Karma for you!
Wait..can I give you karma? I think so because it's not a picture i would be karma-izing (my new word!)

Okay...I tried. SO never mind! haha
By MystikMinxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 620, member since Mon Mar 07, 2005
On Sun Dec 04, 2005 07:32 PM
Three Cheers for Claritin!!

I hate when insanely old posts keep hopping back on the first page.

It also drives me nuts when people with a post with 7 pages of replies don't lock their post. Especially when the post is one pic of their arches or something. Its like, enough already, LOCK IT. OR maybe thats just because I'm jealous or something ;)

Off to go lock super old posts of mine...da da dee!

~Kiki :D
By Legwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5734, member since Mon Sep 26, 2005
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 03:49 AM
Very well done! I do ~so~agree to you!
What a shame I can't give KARMA for this one. =(
By FireyRammember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 310, member since Thu May 05, 2005
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 06:54 AM
I agree, thank you!
By fievremember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 49, member since Sat Nov 05, 2005
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:30 AM
you're right.. just a while ago i was thinking exactly same thing!! by the way..

i'd say that time to lock your thread is when it dissapears from the first/second page.

or not??
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 01:19 PM
To the question above: I lock my threads mostly when I receive a reply even though I didn´t got a reply since a long time (how long? this is different, 2 weeks? 3 weeks?). In most cases it´s not necessary to lock a thread, because it will die even without locking it. But sometimes it will be bumped off even though it´s online since a very long time allready and no onme replied for a longer time, then it should be locked.
People can still PM me if they really want to say something about it.

Kathy
By louie2003 Comments: 495, member since Fri Mar 14, 2003
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 01:41 PM
I agree. Bumped threads can get really annoying. And I really like that picture.
By MathLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1547, member since Thu Sep 22, 2005
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 07:34 PM
::standing ovation::

Thank you! Woo!

I think it would be nice if there were a system that automatically locks a thread after it gets a certain time old. Say, after three weeks or something. That way there wouldn't be a problem with old posts resurfacing.

I don't know much about building webpages, though, so I'm not sure how hard it would be. Plus, the people in charge of the website already have so much to do as it is.

With that said...people! Lock your posts after they've been up for more than a few weeks!
By Claritinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2100, member since Tue Aug 30, 2005
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 09:35 PM
^^There actually is a thing that automatically locks posts, however it only does it after the six months of the last response. Needless to say, that can be a bit long.
By LoriLynn Comments: 1234, member since Wed Jan 30, 2002
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:12 AM
Great post!

But what bothers me most in the pictures forum is that people post before reading the original post.

For example, a girl posted a picture of herself in a costume for the ballet Sleeping Beauty that she danced in and about 4 replies later someone asks what ballet the costume was for.

This really gets on my nerves.

I wish people would actually READ before replying.
By PointeBella55 Comments: 191, member since Fri Dec 16, 2005
On Fri Dec 16, 2005 09:23 PM
YAY! karma for you! I'm sick of reading old threads!
By joturner Comments: 30, member since Wed May 18, 2005
On Mon Dec 19, 2005 02:16 AM
re: "I'm sick of reading old threads"

Yeppers, but remember that there are tons of new people visiting and the threads are not new to them. You, at least, get to see the same old thing and quickly ignore it. To them, on the other hand, it's new, and they go "gee, that's interesting" and write silly stuff. (like moi)
By Bailarinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 584, member since Mon Feb 03, 2003
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 02:50 AM
Ofcourse I get your point, Claritin, but I understand if people don't want to lock their old posts. If I, for example, posted something and people wouldn't answer that much, maybe just got a "hey, like the colour of your tutu", then I would absolutely wait and hope someone would answer even 4 months later and bump it up to others to see it. Members like Elfie gets tons of comments and attention, maybe they wouldn't mind, but give one more opportunity to less popular members.
Maybe rather lock posts after getting X number of replys? No, no, that would be too restricting too.

Aw well, just my point.
By TheDyingSwanmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 522, member since Fri Jan 16, 2004
On Thu Jan 19, 2006 05:00 PM
I really never realized this pointe and I would like to thank you Claritin for bringing it up. I well go now and have a look at my posts and lock the old ones :) thanks again
By dANCER101kcgmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 236, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:40 AM
Edited by dANCER101kcg (120115) on 2006-02-07 11:41:03
karma to you!!

gosh i cant cause its on this board:-(
By odranoel Comments: 515, member since Wed Jun 15, 2005
On Mon Mar 06, 2006 06:17 AM
I'm guilty of this, and I'll admit it. >.< Thanks for the warning; I won't do so in the future.

Odranoel
By juliasweet Comments: 248, member since Thu Apr 13, 2006
On Thu Apr 13, 2006 04:48 PM
I wish other forums had this rule too. A great idea!

J.
By lilleliv69 Comments: 23, member since Sun Apr 16, 2006
On Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:15 AM
This is so right!!!!
Good on you!
By lilleliv69 Comments: 23, member since Sun Apr 16, 2006
On Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:16 AM
Good on you!
This is so right!
Keep it up!

And by the way... your not OLD!
Revive them if you want...its your right!
By Solor Comments: 24, member since Tue May 16, 2006
On Fri May 26, 2006 07:02 AM
Edited by Solor (158924) on 2006-05-26 07:04:54
Some topics are worth being bumped up.

I find it interesting Claritin that you complain about that, when some people are putting such topics as "pirouettes or fouettes, which is your favorite?", or as MysticMinx stated, photos of arches, talk about a waste of resources.

But, everyone has a right to contribute as they wish.....just as I find it rather a waste putting up such topics as the ones I just mentioned, people have the right to contribute to it, just as they have the right to contribute to an old thread. Its really nothing to get fussy over.....
By Emmymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2437, member since Fri Sep 30, 2005
On Sun Jun 18, 2006 09:34 AM
Great post! Pretend karma coming your way!
By MUAHballerina567 Comments: 19, member since Fri Jun 16, 2006
On Sat Jul 22, 2006 09:43 PM
totally agree
By dancing_lil_kimmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 283, member since Sat Sep 16, 2006
On Wed Sep 20, 2006 09:29 AM
It's not always so easy, I'm new here, so I don't know the older threads, and I don't have time to go and read them all!
By dancerdancer22member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 474, member since Sat Oct 28, 2006
On Sat Nov 04, 2006 03:54 PM
WOAH!!!A lot of words!I agree with what I read though!I keep on wanting to reply on threads and they are too old!!!I am new here and I have noticed these way to quickly.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatchDraw