Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Difference between spins
By FlexyTay
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 08:28 PM

Ok, I'm not a skater, but I like to watch it in the Olympics or if it happens to be on TV. And I cant for the life of me see the difference between the different spins. Toe Loops, Salchows? Can someone please explain the different terms and what they mean?

Thanks!

~TayGurl

3 Replies to Difference between spins

re: Difference between spins (karma: 1)
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 09:18 PM
Well, for starters, toe loops and salchows and such are called jumps not spins. This website shows the difference between all of them: www.sk8stuff.com . . .
You can watch a video clip of most of the elements as well. Hope that helps!
re: Difference between spins
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 03:47 PM
Assuming that you do mean jumps (which I'm guessing you do, because you mentioned toeloops and salchows), I think you should first of all head to the edges section of the page ballerina linked. It's very difficult to recognize jumps unless you understand edges first, because the edges used on take-off are really the only thing that makes the jumps different from one another.

Assuming counter-clockwise rotation (which is more common- it's like being a rightie skater), most full jumps have the same air position- left foot crossed over the right- and landing- on the right back outside edge. There are a few exceptions, but they're rarely used in competition.
re: Difference between spins
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:06 PM
Best way to learn them is to watch them over and over again. Best if you can see a skater do them at the rink. You'll get the hang of it. They all have different entries - some using the toepick (toe jumps - Toe Loop, Flip, Lutz) and some not using the toepick (edge jumps - Loop, Salchow, Axel?).
All of them take off backwards except the Axel.
Watch them over and over again and the next time you watch a competition, try to guess the jump before the commentator mentions it. Good Luck.

ReplySendWatch