Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

How come all gymnasts are flexible, do you have a special secret method or what?
By tuttifruttymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:10 PM

How come ya'll so flexible??

Is there any method you use

Or how did you became so incredibly flexible :? ?

17 Replies to How come all gymnasts are flexible, do you have a special secret method or what?

re: How come all gymnasts are flexible, do you have a special secret method or what?
By Atoniamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 01:03 AM
i think you are from the birht more or less flexible,depend on each of us...
But when you get into Rg ,you push yor body very far,and you have to work and work on your flex...
But it i true than some people are more flexible than others,and need less warming up...

But i tink a word all RG gymnast know is Work and work
re: How come all gymnasts are flexible, do you have a special secret method or what?
By illusiongirl
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 07:59 AM
I dont think its so much that all gymnasts can become flexible, its that many flexible people become gymnasts!
By GymLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:59 PM
No that's not so true when you state it like that. Thousands of people train gymnastics it's just natural selection that the ones with the better abilities often break through and go to the top. Of course it's not a rule there are also naturally unflexible girls who are amongst the topgymnasts (like Tchachina for example).
It just looks like every gymnast is very flexible as we mostly only get to see the top international level, which is such a small selection of the total amount of gymnasts in this world that it isn't such a representative number. At national level you'll definitely see girls with far less abilities who also work their buts off, train every day and compete at their own level.
By bigwinner
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 05:10 PM
Anyone can become really flexible, you just need to work hard on it.
By tuttifruttymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 08:40 PM
I thought you had special exercises or maybe that horrifying forced stretch everyone talks about :?
By birthdaycake
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:53 PM
i disagree i think that some people can become more flexible than others just because of how they were born. However with that said if someone is willing to put alot of work into it they can usually greatly increase their abilities.
By hayleyiscirquemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:57 PM
its called streching everyday and working REALLY hard!
By AnjieAngel
On Wed Dec 07, 2005 01:31 AM
Forced stretch? Sometimes, but not forced like in really painful. Having the ability to put yourself through painful stretching without having a coach to push you is very important - mentality, the ability to work hard and always try to make everything perfect even if you have a bad day, that's what makes winners. Standing in front of a mirror practising the same pivot over and over for two hours, doing the same throw 200 times just to get it perfect 20 of them, you really need to want to be the best to get there. Oh, and we're flexible because the COP requires it.
By DragonFlyPremium member
On Wed Dec 14, 2005 02:35 AM
Gymnasts are either:

-naturally flexible and they continue to work hard

or

-not so flexible naturally but work hard at it

Don't think people are born naturally anything like the pictures we see on this board-natural flexibility helps but they still work to become AMAZING
how come all gymnasts are so flexible, do you have a special secret method or what?
By berlin1
On Sun Jan 01, 2006 09:08 PM
actually thats not completely true, gymnasts are not as flexible asrgymnasts, gymnasts are mostly muscles.

berlin1
By Johandie
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 03:37 PM
Its not that all gymnasts are flexible, but its that we see a lot of top class international gymnasts, and thats the difference really, we rarely get to see "amateurs" or lower level gymnasts, and just because we see all the "pros", we make an unfair assumption of comparing all RG to what we see on the television, what we see done by the "pros"...

If you just look at the skill alone of these gymnasts, like Ina Zhukova's ball routine at Baku 2005, phenomenal, few top gymnasts would have been able to do what she did, and yet we assume all gymnasts are top level...

my point is, don't confuse the proffesionals with everyone, just because there are never pics posted of club tournaments and provincial tournaments...
By RileyA
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:24 AM
It is the result of a lot of hours of streching. Rythmic gymnasts will train several times a week and a good percentage of that time will be spent on developing flexibility.
By PaoLaBeaR
On Thu Jan 19, 2006 04:26 PM
AnjieAngel, i couldnt have said it bedtter myself.. you took the words right out of my mouth!! LoL the secret is being able to push yourself and wanting to succeed without having someone pushing you to. for example, i am naturally not very flexible but when i decided that i wanted to improve and started stretching A LOT i got oversplits. you just have to want to succeed and be willing to do anything to!
By xox_Dancer_xoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:22 AM
Most people are born naturally flexible, they are the lucky ones ;)

But no theres no secret, you have to work really hard and be determined, even if its painful

no pain, no gain ;)

xXx Ashleigh xXx
re: How come all gymnasts are flexible, do you have a special secret method or what? (karma: 1)
By AnjieAngel
On Fri Feb 10, 2006 08:12 AM
Unfortunately, people are born flexible in different body parts. Some of them are lucky enough to be born with good leg flexibility or back flexibility, or as goes for the back - one that curves right and is easier to stretch without causing big injuries. I myself was born with flexible feet. It sounds weird, but it has saved me a lot of stretching on my feet, and they still curve more than other gymnasts feet, who has suffered painful stretching while developing that kind of flexibility and "line." It does not come without pain for me either, I have developed an injury because I've been too lazy to warm up my feet properly because I've always been able to use them to the maximum without warming up. Well, enough about the story about my feet, and moving on to another point, which I'm not certain has been covered in this thread already.

Some people are born with muscles that warms up easily, and can for example shake their legs and then sit right down in an oversplit. Others needs to warm up for half an hour before they can sit in a regular split, and after they have done that, they can stretch into their oversplit. So yeas, natural ability is good, but I stand by the statement that determination is better.
By mini_olga
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 06:11 AM
to be able to bend my body into wierd shapes, i stretch every day at least 2-3 times. Well, that at least works for me.
By bcballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 09:01 PM
I think rhythmic gymnasts mostly start at a very young age so their bodies get used to being mangled in strange ways. It's also easier to train when you're younger because you're bones haven't stopped developing yet.

ReplySendWatch