Forum: Arts / Pets

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: "Rainbow Bridge" (something beautiful for those who've lost pets)
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Wed Apr 25, 2007 08:41 PM
Oh, Jodie, I'm so, so sorry for your loss. It's clear how much you and your family loved Oscar, and while I KNOW there's nothing I can say right now that will actually make you feel better, do keep in mind that he's pain-free now. That in itself is a blessing. Try to focus on what was best for Oscar, even though you're left to grieve and feel lonely and lost without him. When you're ready...read the poems in this thread. :C
By Irish_Danca Comments: 10, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Tue May 01, 2007 12:00 PM
That is soooo great! Thanks for sharing!
On Tue Sep 11, 2007 02:13 PM
I'll have to re-read these poems again now...but not for a few days...as my oldest cat has gone to join his brother Willie and sister Queenie. :C
By bronnimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3459, member since Sat Jul 16, 2005
On Tue Oct 16, 2007 09:55 AM
hi,
that is such a lovely poem it had me in tears as my rabbit died today it was all very much out of the blue she,was fine yeasterday she wasn't eating as much as some times though. She was still playing drinking etc then this morning we we went to feed her we discoverd she was dead. I will miss her so much she was my first proper pet and she was such a happy little thing and whenever i used to go out into the garden she would run upto me.
I keep going to look out into the garden to check on her then I renember that she has gone :(
xx
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2842, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Sun Oct 28, 2007 01:58 PM
This poem made me cry once again, my dog Buffy died yesterday=(

RIP Buffy and Oliver.
By angieballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1548, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:52 PM
Edited by angieballerina (177970) on 2007-12-08 23:01:38 addition
Edited by angieballerina (177970) on 2007-12-08 23:02:56 typo
Edited by angieballerina (177970) on 2007-12-08 23:14:40 one more thing...
So many sad stories here... A site that really helped me with the loss of my Grizabella (cat), also connected me with other pet owners in pain... I highly recommend it. petloss.com

Check out this version of "The Rainbow Bridge"...get a Kleenex...
www.indigo.org . . .

Now when I scroll back, looks like someone else has posted this Flash version as well. I do recommend going to the main site for those who has experienced a loss or have an ill pet. The chat is WONDERFUL, and very supportive. Not everyone "gets it" when a pet dies.

Here is a memorial page that someone I met on that chat made for me in honor of my Grizabella (from CATS), "Grizzy". So nice... petsupports.com . . .

Here is a freewebs page that I made for Grizzy.. I think it helps to write...
www.freewebs.com . . .
By scottdancer94member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 622, member since Fri Jun 29, 2007
On Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:03 PM
That is a sad poem, but a good one. The version set to music has a picture of a rottwiller (spelling?) that looks like a friends dog that died that was one of their beloved pets. It kinda freaked me out.
By Beautiful_Ballet Comments: 36, member since Thu Dec 06, 2007
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 01:23 AM
AWWWWW that is so emotional, I lost my dog about a year or 2 ago and I still think about him so much. He was also crimated.RIP. Rainbow bridge is beautiful! Thankyou for posting!
By Count8member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 687, member since Mon Jun 25, 2007
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 06:49 AM
It's been many years since my beloved dog had died but I still could cry evertime I think about her.
This poem was so pretty and I'll read it when I feel bad about not having her around anymore. Thank you!
By dreamin_dancer1 Comments: 373, member since Thu Mar 24, 2005
On Tue Jan 29, 2008 05:38 AM
Thank you so much for posting this
My darling cat Lexie had to be put down today after a long battle with arthritis in her joints.
I feel so empty at the moment, I know that putting her down was the best thing to do, but it still hurts like crazy.
Once again thank you for posting.
By Lil_Rock_Dancerx Comments: 70, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:32 AM
That Truly Is Beautiful. It Made Me Cry :'(
Thanks For Posting!
x x x
On Sun Feb 24, 2008 09:18 PM
I haven't stopped by for a while, so I'm just now catching up. I'm very sorry for the loss of your dear Lexie, dreamin. I know it's small consolation right now, but keep in mind that she was suffering because of her arthritis, and she's not in pain any more now. (I'm dealing with severe arthritis in my baby...my elderly baby, Freddie...and dreading the day I have to decide that he can't keep going any more.) I hope that thinking of Lexie free of pain and able to romp like a kitten again helps ease your pain...
By RulerOfTheArts Comments: 1186, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Mon Mar 10, 2008 08:04 PM
What a beautiful poem. For a memorial, may Lady RIP. Lady was a little black cat that was just about to go into her foster home, when something went terribly wrong and they had to put her down.

Image hotlink - 'http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h215/RulerOfTheArts/kitty006.jpg'

And may the big feral male cat RIP as well, as he had to be put down due to a shattered leg. The doctors thought it was in his best interest to put him out of his suffering. This happened a couple months ago.
On Mon Mar 10, 2008 08:23 PM
^ I'm glad you're here, Ruler. You've been through a lot recently and I really hope you can get some comfort from the idea of the rainbow bridge. I know it was very comforting to me when my beautiful Willie died, although it took a long time to be able to read without just breaking down sobbing.

Think of Lady now, free of fear and pain and worry, free to romp and play...
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:50 PM
My best friend's Jack Russell terrier Bobby died last week. I am so worried for my friend. He told me today that he's scared for Bob's soul, worried about what will happen to him. I showed him this and we both sobbed.

He was such a good little dog, so friendly and clever and well loved.

I hope I get to meet Bobby again on the Rainbow Bridge.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
re: "Rainbow Bridge" (something beautiful for those who've lost pets) (karma: 1)
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:21 PM
Edited by Shadowsong (106208) on 2008-03-16 23:24:50 And we sing,,, and the chord swells... love echoing in the universe
I have been in the presence.. and the witness of many wonderful, brilliant and beloved animals... sent to their resting place. I have shared hugs and tears with others... other humans, other animals... I couldn't help but write this:

Even at the sunset.. there is hope of the dawn to come:
In the twilight...
I commit you, my dear friend.
In the twilight.. as the sun fades from the edge...
the Flash.. as I send your spirit to join it.
the long journey we shared together...
The headrubs, the romps, the playing...
the times you came and soothed me...
the times you came and knew I needed help.
I thank you, my four-legged friend.

The times, when I was too clumsy to see where I was going...
The laughter in your eyes...
When you ran, and your tail was flagged....
the joy we shared together
The bed time where we two, yin-yang, became one.
(Even though I needed the pillow).
I will never forget...

Your coat.. my fingers in it...
the feel of your whiskers, as they tickled my face
the sounds you made in happiness.
How you loved the snow... and then came indoors and shook.
Your presence is in my heart... always and forever...
I join in requiem with the others here...
and we come together to sing your spirit to the Blessed afterland... seeing your glowing eyes, a lingering smile...
Knowing that our time together was special.
Beloved one, you are with me always.
Blessed peace, blessed rest, blessed journey.
May we sometime meet again.

-- By Shadow.

To: Lady, Arin, Sheba, Fiddle, Moonlight, Tai Chi, Pepsi...Ray, Eddie, and so many more.

to Lady -- a cat who gave so much, in so short a time -- so much love, trust, kindness, wisdom, openness. we all loved you.
Arin-arin... big, fluff of a boy... Honey colored... who could jump like a kitten at eleven. What came a ye, my big honey boy?
Sheba -- Shadow of my shadow... Matte black on black... who's glowing eyes told more jokes I could imagine; who played with her tail on the stool... and listened so carefully.
And Fiddle -- athlete, racecat, solid confidante, shrink in a tuxedo kitty outfit... who drove all the boy cats crazy.
Moonlight -- high jumper in spite of her fore foot. who knew when I needed the head rubs.

You all dwell in my heart forever... your love, what you've taught me... I will NEVER forget.
By ShanniBaby149 Comments: 701, member since Wed Sep 20, 2006
On Mon Mar 17, 2008 05:48 PM
That is such a beautiful poem. Sad.. But beautiful. :) It's really comforting too. I hate it when people say animals don't go to heaven.. After reading a poem like this I think people who think in that way will realise how wrong they are eh? Thanks for posting.

Shannen. x
By Miyuki_chanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1496, member since Fri Dec 03, 2004
On Sat Oct 04, 2008 09:59 PM
This is very comforting to me as we had to put my 14 year old dog to sleep today. He was fine until yesterday afternoon, when he had what we suspected was a seizure and collapsed, from that point on all he would do was drink, and he wasn't acting like himself. The vet said he was fine..so we brought him home last night, then this morning he had no use of his hind legs, so we took him back and decided it'd be best if we let him go. So now he's with his girlfriend Maggie May (our neighbor's dog who passed at least 10 years ago, he had a massive crush on her..as was evident whenever he got around her.) and Peek-a-Boo (or Boo-boo) our other cat who passed away 7 years ago.
By Miyuki_chanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1496, member since Fri Dec 03, 2004
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 08:23 PM
That's so beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes, well..more than tears I'm outright bawling. It is comforting though. On Saturday I had to put my dog Bosco to sleep because he had passed a kidney stone..and we believe he also had seizures or something on Friday. He also had a mass the size of a softball between his stomach and spleen. But because of his age the vet said it would be wiser just to leave it be and see how things went. So we took him home Friday evening, and watched to make sure he was eating and drinking..he was drinking with no trouble but wasn't eating, then he collapsed in the kitchen and just laid there for a couple of hours panting..but there was nothing we could do at that time because my dad was at work so we had no way to get him to the emergency vet hospital. He did eventually get up with help and we took him outside to try and get him to pee (we were supposed to catch a sample to bring back to the vet to make sure there was no infection). So we called the vet Saturday morning and she told us to bring him in at 11:15. It took 20 minutes to get him into the car because he couldn't support himself on his hind legs..but when we got to the vet..he jumped (yes jumped..a remarkable feat for a dog who not 5 minutes ago couldn't even stand up.)out of the car and sniffed around the grass and parking lot seeing where the other dogs had gone potty. He did have another spell before they gave him the sedative..I don't know what happened afterwards as I left the room..I couldn't watch them give him the drug.
On Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:08 AM
...and another trip to Rainbow Bridge for me...
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1855, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Fri Nov 14, 2008 06:12 PM
My dog Braydon died today from a ruptured spleen. I'm still in shock, and it's just really hard. I'm trying to take comfort knowing that he's playing up in the sky, and he's no longer in pain. I miss him so much.

-Ashleigh.
On Sat Nov 15, 2008 09:29 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Ashleigh. But do take comfort in knowing that Braydon is happy, healthy, and having a blast now.
re: "Rainbow Bridge" (something beautiful for those who've lost pets) (karma: 1)
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Fri Dec 19, 2008 05:48 AM
I have known about the Rainbow Bridge for all of my life, and something that most people do not know is that this is based on a very ancient Iroquois (Longhouse) belief, which goes back long before the Europeans came to the shores of what is called North America, that the spirits of animals do go to the afterlife, those beautiful meadows and woods where Creator lives in peace, the same place where human spirits go. This is primarily a Mohawk legend, but other followers of the Longhouse believe it as well. We have always held ourselves as no better than other beings in creation, and consider them our brothers and sisters. Those animals that are hunted for food and warmth, we leave an offering of tobacco (sacred in our culture when not abused by smoking it recreationally,) in thanksgiving that the animal gave its life that we may live. Our religious leaders, in the old days, even preached sermons in the Longhouse warning about feeding animals in our care well and not working them too hard.

The version that circulates nowadays, that has given comfort to so many companions of lost pets, is only part of the story as to what happens at the Rainbow Bridge (and yes, the name given in the Mohawk language loosely translates into that in English.) The whole story even addresses those who abuse animals: Abusers are forced to run a gauntlet of those animals that they have abused, where the spirits of the abused animals bite at, claw at, peck at, or otherwise tear at them. The wounds the abusers sustain in their spirit bodies never heal, and they are known by others to have done this in their life on mother earth, and are therefore shunned by other human spirits.

Even to this day, if you were to attend Longhouse funeral services, you would notice that the body of the deceased has a piece of cornbread in its left hand. That is done to have something to offer the animals at the bridge to eat.

Even though I am of the Longhouse, I have many friends of many faiths, and most of them do believe in the presence of the winged, the finned, the scaled, and the four-legged in heaven. A dear friend of mine who is a Jesuit Catholic priest offered me this Biblical comfort when my beloved dog Shabby died a couple of years ago; it is from the first chapter of the Gospel of John: "He has made all things for Himself, and without Him nothing was made that was made." As well as this, from the Book of the Apocalypse: "Behold, I make all things new." Father Greg stressed that the words "all things" meant literally ALL things, including our beloved pets, and those animals that were not so fortunate to have someone to love them here on this good mother earth that supports our feet and sustains our life.

Grief, in my culture (Iroquois,) is treated as a special mental health issue: It is considered a shock, and removes us from our usual state which we refer to as "the good mind." So when one of our community is touched by death, the rest of us flock to the support of the bereaved, and offer them our comfort. We watch out for them, ensure they take care of themselves, and prevent them from doing things that might not be in their best interests, until they process their grief and are ready to start enjoying life again, thus being restored to a "good mind." We have ceremonies for every milestone in life, and one ceremony we have is called "Wiping of Tears." Frequently this involves a giveaway of some (certainly, not all!) possessions of the deceased. This follows several months after the death of a loved one, and it may help you to gather your friends, and have a special ceremony to commemorate your dear Freddie, and to share about his life and to cherish the support of your friends and family. One thing we do is to have a small dinner and afterward give away a few of the possessions of the deceased to a few people who were close to them--perhaps a couple of those bandanas to a few friends with dogs. The giveaway helps us to give away part of our grief, and reminds us that although the loved one is no longer physically present, their spirit continues to do good. And that thought is to help cheer us, and help us be restored to "a good mind."

I am thankful that the piece about the Rainbow Bridge has given so much help to so many people other than those from my culture, and it is my prayer that this small gift from my people to you gives you comfort, peace, and joy. Know that Freddie, Queenie, and all the rest are safe, happy, and well-fed, and that all of you will be together again one day in that beautiful land where Creator dwells in peace.
On Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:52 AM
odile, I can't thank you enough for your post. I'm one of those who had no idea about the true origin of the Rainbow Bridge piece, and I'm glad to have that knowledge now.

I particularly like the part about animal abusers and the eternal consequences they suffer. Most people here know that I'm a longtime animal rights activist and ethical vegetarian. The catalyst for that was learning about the abuses animals are subjected to, and I couldn't bear it and felt like I had to do something about it. This is a BIG DEAL to me, and although I'm neither religious nor part of a culture--such as yours--with beliefs about the afterlife, I've always felt certain that people who abuse animals would pay for it...someday.

Thank you for the suggestion/idea about Freddie's bandana collection. You can't really see it well, but the bandana he's wearing [US Marine Corps] in my current avatar has special meaning to me, and your post made me consider giving it to a friend. I don't know that I will, but I appreciate the new way of thinking about his belongings.

Thanks again. I was sobbing by the time I got near the end of your post, but I'm REALLY glad you wrote it.
By Jess_Henry123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 190, member since Sat Sep 30, 2006
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 01:23 PM
my cat billy bag of bones.. or billy for short, got run over last night :( he crawled under a ladies car down the road, and she stayed with him until he stopped breathing. Then a lady who recognised it as our cat came and woke us all this morning.. i ran down the road expecting it to be someone elses cat :(
He was only 8, and some speeding idiot quite literally caved his head in :( not a mark on his body, just one side of his head.

And he's not usually out at night anymore :( he was such a special cat, all big and really fluffy with huge ears. I loved him so much. I just wish someone had called him in last night, or he hadnt tried to cross the road at that moment in time. i'll miss him so much, he used to lie on the table and on top of the shed, and jump on the fence and make a huge bang :( he was so special and i just can't believe he's gone :(

This poem gave me some hope however, and as we were taking my boyfriend home there was a huge rainbow at the bottom of my road, hopefully, that rainbow was coming for my billy :(
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch