Forum: Folk / African Dance

Looking for African dance info
By girlillasmom
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 06:52 PM

I'm a new member so I cant PM anyone for another couple posts. I am looking for any information on african dance. I have students who are interested but I need to know where to start.

17 Replies to Looking for African dance info

Class location
By Ba_Bes_Dance
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 09:46 PM
Where are you located? Which country, state?
Class information for the NYC area may be found at the following Yahoo group:
groups.yahoo.com . . .

Peace,
Melinda
re: Looking for African dance info
By girlillasmom
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:55 PM
I'd love to be in NY. I'm in Northeastern Colorado - think 100 miles from WY & 100 miles from NE. We're a little short on resources here, especially those that are anywhere off the beaten path. I run a non profit studio and we're trying to bring in lots of art and cultural things. I'd appreciate any help anyone has. THANKS
By selormculture
On Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:35 PM
We are very far from you, in Ghana - West Africa. We have the original documentation that can help you. Let us know exactly what you want and we'll continue from there.

Meanwhile visit our website at hogbe.faithweb.com for some details about us. Site is still under construction.

Theodore Quist
So am I
By TheDiamondPearl
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 05:09 PM
Hello, I am alos very interested in african dance I like to put it in some of my performances. If you learn of anything new please contact me. I am The DiamondPearl.
By girlillasmom
On Sun Jan 29, 2006 06:13 PM
YOur web site is wonderful! I don't really know the first thing about african dance. I am reading a couple books but mostly they are about "fitness" kind of dance. I am interested in anything you have. Let me know where you think I should start.
Hay, you how are you!
By TheDiamondPearl
On Mon Jan 30, 2006 07:18 PM
I'm sorry, I'm a bit curious did you visit my business website
www. blackstallionentertainment.com? Or what site was it (the /diamondpearl/html. the additive to blackstallion? If not were you mentioning? Guess what? On cable at on demand they have some african classes, however they do not support as far as being in the company of other persons which I believe is part of the whole encouragement thing. You know, something us dancers need? I'll keep you posted if I hear of anything, by the way are you near Chicago?
African Dance
By scarlett2006
On Sat Feb 11, 2006 01:09 PM
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if I can be of any help, but I'll try. I am a songwriter and I just finished a project with a Choreographer and Dancer.
In order for her to learn African Dance, she spent more than a year in Africa, to learn the steps, the meanings and different beats. She did a choreography some weeks ago and was looking for music, which would match her steps. So I wrote some African Drum beats and music for her - since it was impossible to find musicians which are there for rehearsal and for the show.
If you like to check it out, please visit
www.angelfire.com . . .

There you can also find some music samples, a videoclip and the story of her dance, called "Liberté".
From your post, I gather, that you might be looking for a video with choreography, or to explain the steps?
Please let me know in greater detail what you are looking for and I will check with her, if she has any ideas about this and how we could help.
Thank you
By TheDiamondPearl
On Sat Feb 11, 2006 09:53 PM
I suppose I am looking for choreography that would explain the steps and what would be even more informative is how to exact them. I really appreciate your help. It is very kind of you to respond. I guess all information and any pertaining to would help, any info you'd give. I am trying to develope a diffrent kind of performance, nothing to take away from hip hop/R&B,(my genre of music), but to bring it change and cultural growth. Thanks again TDP.
By scarlett2006
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 09:33 AM
I found a site with many links, which might be helpful to you.
www.artslynx.org . . .

Hope this helps
By thanaa
On Fri Feb 17, 2006 06:45 AM
hello all...new here and also desperately looking for resources on learning basic steps. I live in Texas (about 1 1/2 hours from either houston or austin) but driving that far to a class does not fit my schedule. if anyone hears of a video or dvd..please let me know.
By TheDiamondPearl
On Fri Feb 17, 2006 02:52 PM
Edited by TheDiamondPearl (149459) on 2006-02-17 14:57:37 I forgot to ask
Edited by TheDiamondPearl (149459) on 2006-02-17 15:01:20 I forgot to ask
Thank you very much I'll check it out. Hay, anyhoo what kind of songwriting do you do. I'm a songwriter as well my main genre is melodic hip hop(something I made up because that what it is(just not as hard as some hiphop) and R&B with some grunge.
By scarlett2006
On Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:06 PM
anytime. I am hoping to get a DVD at one point from the Dancer as well, and she is working on writing out the Choreography, so I will let you know, when this is available on the website.
As for the songwriting, I write in many different genres, from Pop to Rock, Reggae, Classical, Latin Jazzy Instrumentals, R&B....
I also have some Rap sections in some of the songs, regardless of the genre.
If you like to listen to some of the songs, please feel free to do so at: www.soundclick.com . . .

Do you have any of your songs available on the net,so I can listen to them?
You are sooo much like me!
By TheDiamondPearl
On Sat Feb 18, 2006 09:35 PM
You are a lot like me I do rap, R&B, all kind of genre's as well I write short stories and peoms. I even won a contest on a poem, it is exciting to meet people whom have the same goals and passions' as myself, but right now because of my recording project, I'm only focusing on my specific tastes in which I believe if labeled it would be considered probably crossover or in retrospect Hip Hop/ Melodic R&B. I'm so sorry I do not have all of my copyrights as of yet, so I have not had the honorable opportunity to utilize Sonic bids or other indie sites that allow us artists to upload our creations. Since talking to you I'm more encouraged to finish at least one song quickly so you can at least hear me, but soon enough. See I produce and write everything and my education on the equipment I'm using is still in progression. I'll work on it okay. Actually I'm working on it now. I do beleive that you would find my technique different
I write in the way I see myself performing the material. If I can't envision myself performing the material and well, I can't get the motivation to write. I hope that makes sense to you. I'll talk to you soon. Take care.(smile)
Hi, Thanaa
By TheDiamondPearl
On Sat Feb 18, 2006 09:41 PM
Edited by TheDiamondPearl (149459) on 2006-02-18 21:42:00
Welcome you will like it here, and I did find a dance video that I think you will find interesting. This sounds funny but if you saw the way those girls got down you'd buy it too. It's called Yoga Booty dance check yogabooty.com. or balletyogabooty.com The order/info number is 1-800-987-8112
By scarlett2006
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:39 PM
Looking forward to hear your tunes. I have sent you a PM.
And please feel free to comment on mine at www.soundclick.com . . .

Thanks
Hay, what's up
By TheDiamondPearl
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:01 PM
Wow you really have talent and you are a super combo of alot of artist that I have a great deal of respect and ears for(haha) Congragulations on your project. You know I have a magazine if you like I could write a nice artical on you and you creatvity as an artist. Something tasteful and pleasant, it's exposure you know. My magazine is called Black Stallion Entertainment's "The BuZZ" magazine we feature the latest and hottest in hip-hop it's culture, lifestyle, fashion and the nite club hot spots. Our specific is prodominately hip hop, but it is not limited too. I started the magazine because I myself could not afford to promote on the scale that I wanted so I write pretty well and I just started a promotional gist/gig for me and other indie artists who need exposure. Like for instance I am to do an interview with Crucial Conflict's (a rap group from Chicago)own "Wildstlye" I was with the guys at a b-day event to a well know DJ here in Chicago. My magazine had an all access.
By scarlett2006
On Mon Feb 20, 2006 09:34 AM
Hi there, thanks for listening and commenting on the songs.
I checked out our website and it's hot. Would I like if you write an article about the music? Absolutely. This would be more than great. Please PM me and let me know what you would like to know or what information you are looking for.
I do have some descriptions of the music, which I can forward to you as well.
You made my day. Thank you

ReplySendWatch