Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Remembering Sergei Grinkov
By maureensiobhan
On Wed Dec 07, 2005 06:46 PM

I can't believe it's been ten years now since Sergei Grinkov died. I'm still shocked that such a big, strapping, healthy young guy who was only 28 could suddenly die from a massive heart attack.

I heard on I think it was Wide World Of Sports just after the doctors did the autopsy that the autopsy showed three of the main coronary arteries were completely blocked. Katia Gordeeva said in her book "My Sergei-A Love Story" that the autopsy also showed that he had had a mild undetected heart attack the day before he died. She said in her book too that he had been having a lot of back trouble which was causing numbness in his foot during the late spring and summer and into the fall of '95. Who could have known that that could have been his body's way of letting him know there was something wrong with his heart? I wonder if that thought might have crossed his mind once or twice, since his father had had four heart attacks. I suppose though that there was no reason to suspect he could have any problems with his heart. He and the doctors he saw likely chalked his back trouble up to run-of-the-mill back injuries that I feel sure all of the men in pairs figure skating are bound to get. I wonder if at least one of the doctors he saw thought, "I've seen enough of these symptoms in my older patients which turned out to be heart-related. Surely it can't be heart trouble with this guy though. He's too young and too vigorously active to have any heart trouble.". If any of the doctors did suspect heart problems, I think that doctor should have said to Katia, "Tell your husband that we're not sure, but we think his symptoms may be heart-related, and we would like to do some tests to rule that out. Have you had a stress test? We would like to do a stress test, and a test called an echogram. We would also like to do a blood test to measure the level of cholesterol in his blood."

6 Replies to Remembering Sergei Grinkov

re: Remembering Sergei Grinkov
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 07, 2005 06:48 PM
I LOVED that book when I was in junior high (what a geek, hey?) It always made me so sad, though...and do you remember when Katia skated alone at a memorial thing for him?
By RodneysGlory
On Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:29 PM
Wow... I can't believe it's been ten years either. I almost hope that they didn't suspect it had any heart related complications. It would be horrible to think that there was something they may have thought about, but didn't catch. Hindsight is 20/20.
By maureensiobhan
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 08:26 AM
I always cry when I read in her book that the nurse came out told her and the others who were with her that the doctors had given him the electric shocks from a defibrillator and a shot of adrenalin into the heart, but that they lost Sergei.

I do remember when Katia skated alone at that memorial for him. My parents and I cried when she finished skating and she broke down and starting sobbing. In her book, she said she just couldn't hold back the tears.

I think their daughter Daria looks much like him.

They were the best pairs team I've ever seen. When they did the lifts, he lifted her and set her down as if she weighed nothing.
By maureensiobhan
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 06:56 PM
As for not catching something, she said in her book that after he had his heart attack, she went back to the doctor who administered the stress test she and Sergei had just before the Lillehammar Olympics and asked, "Did you see something wrong?", and that the doctor said he didn't see anything wrong, other than that the heart was slightly enlarged. He said that a slightly enlarged heart is common among athletes.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:03 PM
Edited by Jump (129809) on 2005-12-09 12:22:24
I love G&G. They're the best ever. I can't believe it's been 10 years. Then I must have been 11 when it happend, yet I already was in love with their skating. I remember someone wrote in a book about skating that when G&G skated, you couldn't even hear the sound of their skates against the ice - and that was quality ice skating.
I read 'My Sergei' about 12 times I think :D I love looking at the family photos of ekatarina, sergei and daria. They looked so happy. I swear, katia is so strong to have gone through all this pain.
It is good that at least they were together when he left. A nice way to go - with the person you love, at the place you love doing the sport you love.

ps. just thinking, katia is 32 now. Sergei died 10 years ago when he was 28, so.. at that time katia was just 22?? oUCh. :(
By maureensiobhan
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 06:16 PM
In the skating competitions, I think what got them the high marks for artistic impression was that their feelings for each other really showed.

ReplySendWatch