Forum: Ballet / Ballet Photos - Members

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

Ballet Photos - Members
Critique Criteria. Please consider these factors when requesting critques, (karma: 2)
By Deus_Ex_Machinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3917, member since Tue May 13, 2003
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 05:58 AM
Edited by Arecibo (64891) on 2005-12-08 06:04:45
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-12-08 19:29:54

As dancers we thrive on perfection. And what a better way to perfect your art than by teacher to peer and peer to peer critiques? Though, there are some simple things you could do, to help others get a better understanding of your technique.

- Post/hot link your photos to be the proper size. You dont want your photos to be too big, that makes it much more difficult to see your form if we have to scroll down and over for just one picture. Too small is also a problem. If the images are too small, we cant get a good look at your form/placement because its hard to tell what is what. Good photo posting and hot linking sizes are between 500x500 to 650x650. Its easy to resize your photos. Just open the picture in paint, select image at the top of the window, then select attributes. In the bracet titled Units, select pixels. Then enter your measurments.

Having proper sizing of your photos not only helps us get a better look at you, but it helps you more because we are able to give you more/better advice.

-Attire. Please wear proper or close to proper ballet attire for your critique photos. You would not believe how difficult it is to see if placement is correct when the poster is wearing jeans. Also, make sure all your "goods" are covered. That being said, its probably not a wise idea to post streachy photos in a low cut crop top and booty shorts. Yes, we can see more of your body-but for safty reasons (this IS the internet) please cover up to atleast the required amount in a ballet class.

-Placement. Now i realize that alot of people dont want their face plastered up on the net, and that is ok, but please atleast show enough of your lower torso so we can see your form and placement. I cant give an honest critique of you en pointe if i can only see your feet and ankles. Atleast include up to your hips so we can see not just your feet, but your turn out and knees. We want to make sure your using your turn out properly so you dont hurt yourself.

-Questioning your training. Please dont get offended if we tell you that you may not be ready for pointe because your technique level isnt on par with where pointe students should be. We all advance at different rates. Saying you may not be ready for pointe just yet dosnt make you any less of a dancer. We are telling you these things because we care about your study as a dancer. The last thing we would want is for you to get hurt and never be able to dance en pointe properly, ever. We want to see you make it to pointe just as much as you do, honest. But you will never get there if you seriously fracture your ankle from improper pointe training.

There are plenty of members who are advanced students and teachers, here to give you good advice. Following this guidline will help us be able to help you better.

56 Replies to Critique Criteria. Please consider these factors when requesting critques,

re: Critique Criteria. Please consider these factors when requesting critques,
By lisskmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6639, member since Thu Jul 21, 2005
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 06:31 AM
*bows* ... *stops* ... *curtsies*

So true! If only I could give karma on this board... :D

The photo resizing is a big annoyance for me actually - if I find a post with such large photos I have to scroll sideways - I generally just don't look at the post. It annoys me too much.
By FireyRammember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 310, member since Thu May 05, 2005
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 07:22 AM
I agree. This should be a sticky. Thanks, and I hope people follow your advice!
By Legwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5734, member since Mon Sep 26, 2005
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 09:09 AM
Yes, sticky as a sticky ever was one!

Besides, I thought about posting something similar, but I only had two of your points. The thing about placement and the attire.
By Brianamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1328, member since Fri Aug 03, 2001
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 09:11 AM
I completely agree! Especially with the clothing issue...there are a lot of young girls on here who could easily be exploited and have their pictures stolen and used on some fetish site because they're wearing something that doesn't quite cover. Great post!
Bri
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10711, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 09:56 AM
And for people who still have problems to resize their photos:
irfanview.com
You can download this programm for free, it´s easy to use and works very well.

Kathy
By ParisAlmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 957, member since Sat Mar 13, 2004
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:32 AM
Well said there :D Sticky for sure :D

Its soo annoying when a members pictures are soo huge that you have to scroll!

Paris x
By MystikMinxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 620, member since Mon Mar 07, 2005
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:58 AM
Oh yes, this should be sticky-ized.

It drives me nuts when i see either HUGE pictures or tinyitsybitsy pictures. Or pics that are so dark or blurry that you can't see anything.

Hmm..
Perhaps an added on criteria would be that pictures are of decent quality, not too blurry and not really dark, so that we can actually see what we are critquing. IE: phone and web cameras are not good quality.

Good post, I would give you karma if I could.

~Kiki :D
By BerensDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2110, member since Tue Nov 01, 2005
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:19 PM
amen!
this should be one of those sticky things.
i get pretty frightened myself when i see someone with their low cut shirt bending over to stretch or whatever...

gwen
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:54 PM
Great tips!

If you're using Mozilla and/or Firefox, you can add the "Image Zoom" extension, which lets you resize images you're viewing. So when someone DOES post a huge image, a simple click will let you choose how much to reduce it by; I do this all the time.

If you're not using Moz/FF, and instead are using IE...why? It's a featureless piece of ... well, let's just say it's awful compared to the Mozilla family of browsers, and it's also extremely insecure. Do yourself a favor and install a Mozilla browser today. :)
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 04:38 PM
I wish I could give karma on this board. How 'bout a cookie instead?

Image hotlink - 'http://rds.yahoo.com/l=IVS/SIG=121amfhiv/EXP=1134171424/*-http%3A//www.leelefever.com/archives/cookie.jpg'

This should definitely be made a sticky...you made some awesome points. It just annoys the pazooki outta me when people don't resize their photos.

Thaks for making this!

~pb12
By testerus Comments: 46, member since Sat Nov 06, 2004
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 01:27 AM
In case anyone else is looking for the Image Zoom extension, here it is: addons.mozilla.org . . .
The Opera browser has an even better view mode called "fit to width" where it tries to eliminate horizontal scrolling at all.
About image editing there is still the GIMP and GIMPshop.

I guess next we need a tutorial on howto write good critiques. ;)
--
Help improve the free Wikipedia Dance Project with your contributions.
By Tippy10Toemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 91, member since Sun Jan 23, 2005
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 08:12 AM
Sticky for sure. Thanks so much. That helps a lot. Esp the big picture ones. THANKS!

Tippy
By Leonormember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 404, member since Thu Aug 14, 2003
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:09 PM
:) haha, well said.. it really pisses me off, despite the excuses, when people post pictures they want critiqued in their long pjs and flip flops.
By saturn_ballet Comments: 321, member since Fri Jun 10, 2005
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:24 PM
Great post! Totally agree. Can't critique if pictures are too big or not showing whole body. And especially with the attire staements, jeans and revealing clothing is not a good thing for ballet critiques.
By LaCarlottamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 695, member since Sun May 15, 2005
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 PM
thanks Arecibo, its sooo importatn to do these things when you want critiques. *muah* great post!

LC
rawr.
By BaBy_GiRl_DaNcEr Comments: 19, member since Wed Sep 28, 2005
On Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:33 PM
GREAT PICTURES! It looks like you had fun dancing in all of them! Great posture, point and turn out!! You look very pretty and all your pics look perfect! Remember to always have fun!
Lotza love BaBy_GiRl_DaNcEr xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxxx
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1133, member since Tue Dec 27, 2005
On Fri Dec 30, 2005 08:41 AM
Yes, definitely! When i don't see enough of the person (either because of baggy clothes or a poorly cropped picture) I feel like I've cheated them with my critique. YES PLEASE FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!
-marika
By BaBy_GiRl_DaNcEr Comments: 19, member since Wed Sep 28, 2005
On Fri Dec 30, 2005 08:46 PM
Oh yes, this should be sticky-ized.

It drives me nuts when i see either HUGE pictures or tinyitsybitsy pictures. Or pics that are so dark or blurry that you can't see anything.

Hmm..
Perhaps an added on criteria would be that pictures are of decent quality, not too blurry and not really dark, so that we can actually see what we are critquing. IE: phone and web cameras are not good quality.

Good post, I would give you karma if I could.
love baby_girl_dancer
By DaNciNgONmyGravemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1042, member since Sat Oct 16, 2004
On Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:31 PM
This should SO be a sticky!! Very informative for someone (like myself) who has yet to post pictures on DDN. Thanks a bunch!

~Grave
By LeSyE Comments: 22, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Wed Jan 04, 2006 07:28 PM
I just signed onto this site today and I'm so glad to hear there are some people on here that will take critiqueing the photo's serously

Take Care

SyE

p.s looking forward to seeing what you think of mine when i can start posting >.
By linadark Comments: 25, member since Sun Jan 15, 2006
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:20 PM
ok so i just started to do ballet like 4 months ago and the only way i have actually improve in my movements is by taking pictures and videos of me and showing them off to people that know more about dance than me... i really apresciate what they do for me... it's vital, in a visual art, to know what others think about it because sometimes you might think that you are all that when you actually really sucks ( even though i already knew i suck only by seeing myself in the mirror! )

just commenting... I love this website!!! Amazing dancers here!!!
By GrinsPremium member Comments: 3429, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:26 PM
-Attire. Please wear proper or close to proper ballet attire for your critique photos.

Ain't gonna happen, lovely :P

I know that I don't really wear the correct attire when I post pictures, but that's because:

1) I'm lazy

2) I hate my body in a leotard

However, if you ARE going to ask for specific critiques (e.g. "Please critique my arabesque"), wearing the correct attire is required.

I *puffy heart* you Liz - I wish I could karma you ;)
By TheDyingSwanmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 522, member since Fri Jan 16, 2004
On Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:18 PM
sticky for sure! and an imaginary karma :)
By dirtyprettythingmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 222, member since Thu Jan 12, 2006
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 08:31 AM
Great advice thanks. I'll think of this when I post my first ballet pictures sometime soon. Dirtyprettything xx
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatchDraw