Forum: Advice / Support

Support
How To Beat Bullying! (karma: 8)
By born_to_dance_x Comments: 527, member since Sun Oct 30, 2005
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 08:33 AM
Edited by xx_born2dance_xx (144349) on 2005-12-10 09:03:36 add 1 more link
Edited by xx_born2dance_xx (144349) on 2005-12-10 09:04:08 finally finished :)
Moved to Support by Theresa (28613) on 2005-12-12 00:31:53 moved to a more appropriate forum
Made sticky by calypso (11968) on 2006-01-18 13:25:03

Bullying can happen to anyone, anywhere.

Here are some links with advice on how to deal with bullying and stamp it out:

childline's top 10 ten tips to beat bullying ~

www.childline.org.uk . . .

bullying online pupil problem page ~

www.bullying.co.uk . . .

bullying true stories ~

www.childline.org.uk . . .

FAQs on bullying ~

www.police.govt.nz . . .

emma xx

21 Replies to How To Beat Bullying!

re: How To Beat Bullying!
By dancing_spazmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 551, member since Sat Nov 13, 2004
On Mon Dec 12, 2005 07:10 PM
this should be a sticky. why hasnt anyone else responded?
re: How To Beat Bullying! (karma: 1)
By crystal_sky Comments: 1190, member since Sat Apr 23, 2005
On Tue Dec 13, 2005 06:37 PM
I agree! This should be made a sticky for sure! I was bullied when I was 11-12 and then again at 13-14 (moved to a new town, just as id fixed my bulling problem, the nightmare began again). It made me feel like I was about 5inches tall!!

In the end, I fought fire with fire! I stopped being passive (which was how the situation got out of hand in the first place) and stood up for myself! In one instance I actually asked a girl to her face why she'd make fun of me when she knew I already having trouble settling in? I also made friends with my 'enmys', lending a pen if someone was short and complemeinting and offering advce where needed. The group I actually ended up being a part of were actually the same girls who used to tease me and make fun of the fact I was a dancer. My best friend was actually the first girl who ever started a rumor about me!! Of course this was all young girls sillyness, they've all changed now (we're 17) ;)

I hope no-one else is/was or has to go through any of what ive been through. Please anyone PM me if you need to talk about any of this!

Crystal_sky xoxo
By jjgoldenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 177, member since Sat Oct 30, 2004
On Fri Dec 16, 2005 09:56 PM
This should forsure be a sticky. It really makes sense. i've been bullied before and actually I've done my share of it too. it really is inspiring.

JJ
By jjgoldenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 177, member since Sat Oct 30, 2004
On Fri Dec 16, 2005 09:57 PM
Removed by calypso (11968) on 2006-01-18 13:25:26 double post
This should forsure be a sticky. It really makes sense. i've been bullied before and actually I've done my share of it too. it really is inspiring.

JJ
By born_to_dance_x Comments: 527, member since Sun Oct 30, 2005
On Sun Dec 18, 2005 06:24 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone.There is no other posts with advice on bullying and how to get through it.Please could this be made sticky because it is such a common problem?
emma x
By dance_dance09 Comments: 255, member since Thu Nov 03, 2005
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:35 PM
I got bullied a little during 5th grade and again during 6th for making a girl mad because our dance teacher replaced her front and center spot with me. it really hurt me and i even cried because she started rumors and yea i was scared dealing with her everyday. I'm so glad thats over and we both matured.

your advice could really help someone, it should be made a sticky
By Nicola_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2257, member since Sun Dec 21, 2003
On Fri Dec 23, 2005 03:17 AM
Well done Emma

I think that's a great post and would definately be helpful to people who are being bullied and need some support.

A lot of effort obviously went into that, so good for you.

Nicola x
By DancerbyGodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1178, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Tue Jan 10, 2006 04:14 AM
Growing up through grade school and even into Jr. High I was made fun of and bullied. I guess I never really stood up for myself until around my freshman year in high school! It was just so hard to hear these harsh, negative comments about me and to brush it off. It still is sometimes, but I have learned that those people who lower themselves to making-fun of others and bullying others, they are just immature and insecure with themselves.

Thank you for this posting! It has helped so many people...including myself.

Everyday is another day to become just that much stronger!

Chao,

~Dancer C~
How To Beat Bullying!
By leprechaun Comments: 147, member since Tue Nov 21, 2000
On Fri Jan 13, 2006 05:27 PM
Come on mods, make this a sticky!
It's obvious that it's a good set of links
By funkdudemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 820, member since Fri Jun 18, 2004
On Sun Jan 29, 2006 04:30 AM
This is a really great sticky! Lots of good advice and information.

I was bullied REALLY heavily when I started high school. Not as often physically as emotionally and verbally, but still absolutely terribly. I was fat, had no self confidence, was a dancer, had no friends, and worked hard in class. Everyone seemed to attack all those things. I ended up depressed and suicidal, because the school wasn't doing anything to help. I even got a hard time from a lot of the teachers. There weren't really many specific people doing it, but it seemed that once a week, EVERYONE would take one little dig, and from there it would just add up. I hid from everyone on a staircase, but they found me. I eventually got through it after a year or so. I built up some confidence and made some friends (even with some of the bullies).

When I got really sick of a girl taunting me, I tipped a nearby bucket of water on her. She screamed and ran off to the bathroom. No need to say she never came near me again.

It really is an experience that involves a lot of personal growth (if its that serious) and I woudln't be the person that I was today without that happening to me.

If anyone ever needs support with bullying, contact me.

Funk
By StaceyLewisPremium member Comments: 871, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:02 AM
HI,i think bullying goes on in dance schools,& i think the adults(teachers) can be just as bad as children,sometimes worse,i have experienced it!!!! Or my mum says are bullies just jealous people!!!!lol !!!!
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4495, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Mon Sep 15, 2008 03:55 PM
Good sticky! I haven't really read the stickies on the support board before.

I was bullied from ages 10-18, and man, do I STILL feel the effects at 22. I have major validation issues with myself because of it.
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:56 AM
I haven bullied since I was 5 untill now 17
I hate life at times

Comment #8201922 deleted
Edited by ilanathedancer (141201) on 2009-05-05 17:22:39
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2009-05-05 17:33:56 Guess what? You have to actually contribute to the discussion to keep your comments from being deleted. Now you get to start from scratch!

By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Tue Sep 01, 2009 06:28 PM
Thanks, the links that work are great... I am a bully victim myself and have been since grade 1. This info is really useful, especially since my school never did any classes about bullying.
By allergymom Comments: 23, member since Sat Sep 24, 2011
On Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:57 PM
My daughter was bullied at her old studio. One girl even cut her hair at the studio. She ignored the bullying and continued to be nice to her and the girl finally quit bullying her. However the girls mother was just as bad and we still ended up changing studios over the whole thing.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sat May 17, 2014 07:51 PM
Can I still comment? Probably not but I will send this and see if it goes through. If it does, I will totally comment because I was bullied forever!
On Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 PM
I was bullied from k-12th. Maybe not K but 1st grade for sure. Let me explain. I'm 60 now so that will tell you when I went to school so bullying has been around for ever, probably in the days of our Lord too. It's not a new thing. What's new now is the computer so when you thought you were safe at home because they couldn't get you at home, now they can get you on your computer or phone so you are blessed to be able to have them with you 24/7. Isn't that nice?

I went to a Catholic school. We were taught "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "Love your neighbor as you would love yourself." My classmates were either sleeping when this was taught or they were always absent. We got lined up according to height. I was first until I was a Freshman in high school and if they had done that in high school, I would have also been first. I've never gotten any taller. In fact, I'm probably the same size I was in 6th grade right now. I'm not a little person because my arms and legs are normal size but I am a little person because I am 4'6". I used to be 4'7". I swear in high school I was 4'10 but the year I graduated high school I was babysitting for a friend. She asked my height and I told her 4'10". She measured me with one of those tape measures that carpenters use and it said 4'7". Now there is no way in a few months or almost a year after high school that I shrunk that much. When I went to the doctor about 5 years ago or so and they measured me for height, it said 4'6". I made them do it again because I knew I was 4'7". Nope, 4'6'.

I had terrible bugs bunny teeth in grade school. Kids called me Bucky Beaver. Boys used to run screaming down the hall when they saw me. There were 40 kids in my class back then so there were a lot of kids who hated me. Charlie Brown and getting no valentines? We were supposed to give one to everyone in the class and I did. I might have gotten one or 2 back. Sometimes I got invited to birthday parties but nobody would play with me & they would make fun of me. I hated school. In 4th grade I did so lousy in math and a few other subjects that I stayed back. So now I had a whole new class of kids to make fun of me.

I got braces in grade school so now they called me Tinsel Teeth. I had them for 3 years. I also got glasses in grade school. They didn't like them either but I don't remember what they called me because of them.

In high school there was one girl who hated me and made sure most of the girls in our class hated me too. She either loved you or hated you, there was no in-between. There were 500 kids in my high school class. I had very few friends. I had a nickname in high school and to this day I have no idea where it came from. They called me Blade or Switch Blade. I didn't carry a knife. The only knife I ever used was at home to cut meat. Guys would yell that while I was walking down the hall. The girl who really hated me? She tried to push me down flights of stairs, hurt me in gym class and other things. One year she was in 4 of my classes! I didn't think I could tell a teacher because I didn't think they would do anything. At one point another girl whose knee this girl ruined (probably pushed her because her knee was bleeding) said to this girl "If you tell anybody what happened here, I'll kill you." I think she would have done it too. It didn't help in gym that I was way smaller then her in height and weight & I was kind of flat chested too. Dates in high school? I think I might have had one but maybe I dreamed it. The one guy I liked a lot & let him know which was a mistake, liked me as a friend and didn't want to go to the prom at all, so I never got to go in all 4 years. A bunch of the kids in my middle sisters class liked me & were friends with me as I was only a year ahead of them because of staying back.

In my Junior or Senior year this girl got 4 of her friends and they grabbed my hands and feet and tried to throw me in a pond. She was their but all she did was tell them what to do, she didn't do any of it. I didn't swim very well and this pond was where people threw their bottles and cans so there were probably broken bottles and rusty cans in the bottom. I could have been seriously hurt never mind that I could have drowned. I'm sure the water was over my head. My BFF came over and just gave these girls a look. She was taking Karate & they knew it. They all put me down and just left. I was so grateful to my BFF.

Oaky, I'm out of high school for about 7 or 8 years and I see this girl who hated me in high school. Mind you it's been 7 or 8 years since we've seen each other. We are in our late 20's by now, me especially. If looks could kill, the look she gave me would have done me in. I was scared of her in school. We even rode the bus home together! I wasn't scared of her that day. I was with my mom & my mom saw it & asked about it. We were adults now and should have been passed it. She wasn't.

I never went to my class reunion ever. All of my friends from my class don't live in my town anymore and have never gone as far as I know. Someone I knew who had gone and who I thought was really popular back then said that the clique still hung around and the ones who had their noses in the air back then still did. She said no one talked to her even though she talked to them. She said she would never go again. Why would I want to go?

About 10 years ago or so I saw one of the most popular girls in my class who I think was a cheerleader at a fair with her hubby/boyfriend. I don't know which he was but he was one of the guys who called me Switch Blade or Blade and a few other choice words that I can't say here because they aren't Christian and I'd get in trouble for saying them here. I don't remember her name & maybe I remember his but we graduated in 1973. I was with my sister. They walked past me and after they walked by, we stopped walking for some reason. I turn around and they are both looking at me, talking to one another and pointing at me and laughing! How old are we? My sister says that I am way better then she will ever be because I'm not like that and do you know what, she's right! I am way better then her! I have one thing over all these girls that none of them have and that's how I look. I've seen a bunch of people over the years who I have no idea who they are because they look old. They have to tell me who they are. They all seem to know me though, even the ones who I haven't seen in 20 years or more. Why? According to my ex dance teacher who I went to high school with but didn't became friends with until she was my teacher, the only difference between how I looked in high school and now is a different hairstyle and different glasses. How's that for revenge? Ha!

I also got bullied after high school at some of my jobs. They made fun of my voice and I don't know why. They made fun of me being a virgin and I can't even remember how that subject came up. They made fun of my not drinking and never getting drunk. They wanted to get me drunk. One guy totally bullied me because I wouldn't go out with him on my birthday because I had plans already with my family and I, heaven forbid, didn't cancel my plans because he wanted to go out with me that night. He was such a jerk! To think I liked him! He never asked me again and I was so glad when he quit his job so I didn't have to ever see him ever again.

I've gone on long enough. I'm still alive so none of them made me try to commit suicide & succeed. I'd like to say having a belief in God and the fact that he's my lord & Savior helped. Also, I think I found that they all had some kind of problems in their lives or they wouldn't have been so horrible to me as I was not like that to them. Do I wish to do high school all over again? Yeah, if I could have the kind of high school years my mom did. She was on the committee for her class reunions and she was well liked. Will I ever go to a class reunion? Probably not but I would just like to see all those girls who hated me in one room and look them over. They probably all look really old (at least some of the ones I've seen do) and probably none of them look like they did in high school. Then I would just leave and have them wondering how I still look like I did in high school. Good jeans!
On Sat May 17, 2014 10:19 PM
Oh yeah, thanks for the great post. I think it's important to know how to combat bullying and what to do. I'm glad I never let any of them get the best of me and that I am here and can celebrate each new day as it comes.
By Straatdance Comments: 8, member since Thu Mar 05, 2015
On Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:41 AM
This is a great post, I'm glad that I stumbled upon this! :)

straat.nu
By lamonasta Comments: 50, member since Sun Dec 29, 2013
On Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:29 AM
Such a great post, thank you so much :)

ReplySendWatchDraw