Forum: Irish / Irish - Technique & Training

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: rolls, rocks, quivers, twists, and toestands help for more complicated dance moves
By loricg
On Mon Sep 08, 2008 02:10 PM
Thanks this really helped me alot thanks again!
re: rolls, rocks, quivers, twists, and toestands help for more complicated dance moves
By loricg
On Mon Sep 08, 2008 02:11 PM
Thanks this really helped alot! Thanks again!
By free_abandon
On Wed Nov 12, 2008 05:09 AM
Does anyone have any advice for a basic 'batter' or I think some people call them 'shuffles'... they're in the treble reel anyway. I always seem to end up heading backwards into the wall. The sound isn't right either but I don't know what I'm doing wrong and my teacher is not particularly vocal (she just nods whatever you do.)
By claddaghgirl1
On Sat Sep 05, 2009 09:05 AM
What's the best way to master toestands? My dd is under 11 and wants to start practising ready for next year.
By treblemaker24
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 04:33 PM
Love these. They are sold old school, you don't see them much at all now.
By Pinky95
On Sun Oct 11, 2009 07:48 AM
In my setdance I have to jump and balance on my heels and spin around in my heavy shoes but i'm always slipping and falling over and I have to do this dance fr the Ulster Championships in two weeks! Help! Any Advice??
By curlyclodagh
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 04:19 AM
My school has something like that in one of their reels, except in slow motion, so its just like 2 hops without moving your feet and.. this isn't making any sense is it??
Okay, lets try something different. If you think about it, if a double hop in the front is just kicking your thigh twice, than at the back its just kicking your bum twice! hehe ^^ Sorry I can't help more... If I had a video clip of how our teacher taught us how to do it, life would be so much easier!!! aaah!!! xxx
By mwilkinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:30 AM
The common thing about these moves to make them as best as possible is keeping your legs tight together. I practice these moves with a sheet of paper in between my thighs and try not to drop it.
By curlyclodagh
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 05:57 AM
Hi!! Here is a link to a video on youtube I found!! :D www.youtube.com . . .

this might help :D
By irishdancebrooke
On Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:14 PM
My favorite move is a rock! Although not many dancers do them anymore! Toestands I remember being taught when I was young but my teacher wouldn't let me do them until I reached a certain age because my feet wouldn't grow properly haha!
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:04 AM
augh! confused...I probably know the moves but cant put them to the written word...anyone do treble 23's? instead of a normal treble or double treble its a treble with the back foot tapping on floor once (the 2 part) and the front foot (which originally did the treble) taps once (3 part) but its fast ...my dance teacher doesnt include any in my primary hard dances but i used to do them at another school. not seen anyone do them since.
By Gabby1
On Fri Mar 19, 2010 04:59 PM
you need to have loose, strong ankles for all these moves: rolls, rocks, quiver, twists, and toestands etc. you can loosen your ankles by rolling them in circles and stregthen by using ankle weights
By TxTreble
On Wed Mar 24, 2010 09:31 PM
Thank you - this explanation helped my daughter, she's struggled with rocks :)
By dancer8164
On Sat Jun 12, 2010 06:39 PM
any advice on how to get double cicks? they are so hard!
By ridrpac
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 09:09 PM
anyone have any really good tips for keeping your legs together when you're doing rocks?
it is easier to do toestands if your shoes are very bendy, to do this it is a good idea to rubber band your shoes for a while or put them under a mattress. fold them, rubber band them, and leave them like that until needed. it worked really well for me! :)
By tgc
On Sat Sep 24, 2011 07:56 AM
Thanks for the question as we are young dancers and get confused by all the names.
By LovesToDance101
On Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:08 AM
Hey Everyone, in my new setdance my teacher has just added this step where you do a toe stand then stamp then toe stand again then stamp to the right, then toe stand then stamp to the left and I just can't seem to get it without losing my balance or having really quiet stamps. HELP!
By GRL611
On Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 PM
Maybe I'm doing them wrong, but when I do rocks I feel like some muscle in my ankle is stretching somewhere it shouldn't...any suggestions?

Comment #9934428 deleted

By joggadog
On Tue Oct 30, 2012 09:31 PM
we just call them double up downs.
By mabsmom
On Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 AM
Another wonderful post with very helpful information. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch