Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Girls Only PG-13
(FAQ) The "Could I Be Pregnant?" Thread... (karma: 17)
By Incarnadinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9923, member since Thu Oct 25, 2001
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 03:46 PM
Edited by crisy (15186) on 2005-12-10 15:48:13
Moved to Girls Only PG-13 by pharmadancer (87219) on 2005-12-10 16:19:47 moved to appropriate forum
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-12-10 16:38:56

We often get questions about pregnancy, or threads written by girls who are scared they might be pregnant.

So you make a thread and get 100 replies telling you 100 different things. As if you were worried and confused enough! Well- let this be the help you were looking for. Not only will this (hopefully) clear up the confusion- it will hopefully give you the answers you were looking for before you ever find yourself in this situation. The following information is taken from Doctors sites online as well as textbooks.

But before I get started- I would like to address the girls who think it’s a good idea to lie about being pregnant. First- it’s stupid, selfish and immature to lie about such a thing. We’re a caring group here and it’s awful of you to lie for attention or entertainment purposes. Secondly- there ARE girls who wish to find help and support here- and it’s terrible to make up such a lie when there are girls who truly are looking for support. Lastly- if and when we figure out you’re lying- you will not likely be welcomed here by other members. Because no one likes a liar- and especially not after we’ve supported and cared for you.
You know who you are…just stop it already.

Ok- with that nasty subject addressed- on to the real point of this post.

I had sex- could I be pregnant?

Pregnancy is ALWAYS a possibility if you’ve had sex. Anytime a penis comes in contact with your vagina- pregnancy CAN happen. So yes- if you’ve had sex- there’s a chance you may be pregnant. It doesn’t matter if you’re a virgin, on your period, took a shower right after or anything else you can think of.

Of course, using birth control EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU HAVE SEX will significantly reduce the chances of you getting pregnant. No birth control is 100% effective- but if you use a good birth control method(s) and use it correctly and responsibly EVERY time- the chances of pregnancy are greatly reduced.

Also- even if you’re on the pill or some other birth control- it’s always a good idea to use condoms as a backup method. Not only will that further protect you from pregnancy- it also prevents STDs…so get in the habit of using condoms along with some other form of birth control every time you have sex. (Note: some contraceptives are not meant to be used with condoms- such as a female condom- using them together can cause them to slide off or break. But birth control like the pill, the patch or the shot are the most common birth control used- and they can ABSOLUTELY be used together. )

Ok- I had unprotected sex…what now?

As soon as possible- contact a doctor and request the morning after pill a.k.a Plan B. This should be taken as soon as possible- it’ most effective with in the first 72 hours (that’s three days) of the unprotected sex. It doesn’t guarantee that you won’t get pregnant- but it significantly reduces the chances…and that’s better than nothing. So if you had a moment of stupidity and had unprotected sex- don’t wait! Call a doctor or your local clinic. (I’ll provide contact info at the end of this thread.)

How can I tell if I’m pregnant?

The obvious answer is…a pregnancy test. These can be purchased at a drug store (even grocery stores) or you can schedule an appointment with your doctor or at a local clinic.

Home tests will cost you anywhere from 8-20 dollars. Be sure to read the directions and follow them step-by-step so you can get the most accurate reading possible.

Clinics are also great because they offer free and confidential tests. They’re also handy if you don’t have health insurance or can’t go to your family doctor. Again, I’ll post contact info at the end of this thread.

When can I take a pregnancy test?

In the US, home pregnancy tests are very accurate as soon as a few days after you’ve missed your period. Some even claim they can be used 3-4 days BEFORE your missed period- but this increases the likelihood you’ll get a false negative. Meaning- it might say you’re not, even though you are. Your best bet is to wait three to four days after the day your period should have started. Then follow up with a test at your local clinic if the test was negative- but your period doesn’t start.

How early can I find out if I’m pregnant?

Here’s the thing. When you have sex, you don’t immediately become pregnant. The sperm has to find its way into the egg- and this can take up to 6 days. So if you have sex on Monday- the sperm might not enter the egg until the upcoming Sunday. Make sense? Secondly- after the sperm enters the egg it has to implant itself in to the lining of your uterus- which can take another 6-10 days to occur. Only after the fertilized egg implants itself into the uterine wall will you start releasing the pregnancy hormone- and this is when pregnancy officially begin on terms of how you can tell if you are pregnant or not.

When the fertilized egg implants itself- the body will begin to produce the pregnancy hormone…and that’s what it used to detect pregnancy.

So the short answer is- pregnancy can be detected about 7-15 days after having sex. But it really depends on your specific circumstances because we have no way of knowing the exact moment as to when the fertilized egg implants itself.

Your best bet is to take a pregnancy test after you’ve missed you period.

I didn’t have sex but I did _______ Can I be pregnant?

The only way you can get pregnant is when a sperm fertilizes an egg. This means that anytime your vagina comes in contact with semen- there’s a chance of pregnancy. What this also means is- if semen DID NOT come in contact with your vagina- pregnancy is NOT possible.

Kissing, oral sex, anal sex, masturbation…these things do not cause pregnancy. Period. Of course the exception to this rule is if semen comes in contact with your body WHILE doing these things…in which case I refer you to the first two sentences of this answer.

I missed my period! Does this mean I’m pregnant?

Ok- if you’ve had unprotected sex- there’s a chance you could be. In which case- we’ve covered what you should do above.

If you’re using birth control and condoms- AND you use them correctly and faithfully- it’s not likely that you are pregnant- although no contraceptive is 100% effective. As we covered above- sex equals possible pregnancy- so it’s a good idea to make sure. Not using contraceptives correctly can cause them to lose their effectiveness…Yet another reason to be sure you understand how to use your birth control method- and use it correctly every time you have sex.

NOTE: Hormonal birth controls like the pill and the patch become less effective when you’re taking anti-biotics and some other medications. Make sure you check with your doctor to see that all medications you take are compatible with your birth control- and take extra precautions as needed.

Next- there can be many reasons you’ve missed your period. Things like illness, diet, extreme exercise, weight loss, weight gain, and stress can cause you to miss your period- and that’s just to name a few.

To go a bit further- it’s a good idea to track your period with a planner or calendar:
The first day of your period- mark your calendar on the day your period begins- and mark everyday thereafter until it stops. This will help you track your period and how long it lasts. Also- to predict your next period you can count 28 days forward from the FIRST day it started to figure out when you’ll have your next period. Keep in mind though- although this is considered a “regular” cycle- not every women has her period on an exact 28 day cycle.

During checkups and physicals doctors will often want to know when your last period was and how long it lasted too- so this will help you answer those questions in the future.

Ok- I found out I’m pregnant for sure. What do I do now?

You’ve got three possible options:
Keep the baby and raise it.
Have the baby and then put him/her up for adoption.
Have an abortion.

Obviously all of these are big choices with consequences. They all have pros and cons too- and none of them is an easy choice…but you’ve gotten yourself here- and you have to decide what to do. My advice is to research each option and think long and had about your choice before you make your final decision. Because you will carry whatever choice you make with you the rest of your life. So make sure you make the right one, whichever it may be. Talk to an adult you know and trust for support and guidance as well.

As a final thought…
Much of the fears, worries and heartache pregnancy/pregnancy scares have can easily be avoided by educating yourself and using common sense if/when you decide to have sex.

Birth control is easily accessible and can be obtained free and confidentially. But then it’s up to you to be smart and responsible in using it correctly- and using it every time.

It only takes one stupid decision to change your life forever- so avoid it all together by making the right choice BEFORE you are ever in the position to worry in the first place.

And please rememeber thinking things like “it won’t happen to me” or “we just did it once” is exactly the kind of stupid thinking that gets girls and women pregnant all the time.

Clinic contact information for free birth control, counseling and pregnancy services:
1-800-230-PLAN for a Planned Parenthood center nearest you,
1-888-NOT-2-LATE for a list of clinics providing birthcontrol and pregnancy services.
plannedparenthood.org

Birth Control information
teensource.org Bc methods, uses and efectivness.
4woman.gov . . . FAQ about BC methods.

27 Replies to (FAQ) The "Could I Be Pregnant?" Thread...

re: (FAQ) The "Could I Be Pregnant?" Thread...
By dancerchica Comments: 1024, member since Mon Feb 24, 2003
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 03:57 PM
Another great post, Crisy. I'm putting in a request for a sticky.

~Brandy
By dancin4Daddy Comments: 367, member since Fri Apr 15, 2005
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 04:07 PM
Very good job. I have no intention of having sex until marriage, but I really hope that other girls will read this and learn from it. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
By HotDancer87 Comments: 1989, member since Tue Feb 19, 2002
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 08:13 PM
This is a great post-- very informative. Thanks so much for posting!
*HotDancer87*
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:59 AM
Edited by tumblebug (25049) on 2005-12-11 11:04:09
Now if only this would work to stop all those "Could I be pregnant?" posts.

I would also like to add that if you are really in tune with your body, you will know when you are pregnant. I can't really explain it, but you just know it in your gut.

There is nothing more annoying then the girl in school who thinks she is pregnant every other week because she made out with a guy in her underwear.

Last but not least, if you think you might be pregnant, asking someone on a message board isn't the answer. We don't know if you are pregnant or not, how could we? We weren't on the couch or the bed of the truck or the washing machine with you when you were 'messing around' with some boy. How could we possibly know if he came or if it was near your vagina? How could we possibly know if those spermy guys made to your egg and popped inside? If you think you are pregnant, don't waste your time typing out the 'question' on here, Take a pregnancy test or see a doctor. There is no other way to find out a definate answer.

Take care.Wear a glove when you make love and pop the pill to be safer still.
By Incarnadinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9923, member since Thu Oct 25, 2001
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:03 AM
Lol yeah...I know it's wishful thinking. But at least now I can go:

Here ya go!
www.dance.net . . .
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3017, member since Thu Feb 27, 2003
On Mon Dec 12, 2005 02:27 PM
Fabulous post, lots of great, comprehensive information, Im sure many girls will appreciate it!!

Jenna
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9967, member since Sat Aug 03, 2002
On Wed Dec 14, 2005 02:43 PM
I would have LOVED to have read this last January, when I was pregnant. I hope this helps a lot of girls out there who are worried ... I've been in the position of needing something like this to read before, but haven't had anything, and it's tough! Thanks for posting this, Crisy.

peace out
sh'naynay
By butterflydancer1 Comments: 189, member since Fri Nov 18, 2005
On Wed Dec 14, 2005 07:01 PM
Amazing post. Possibly the most informative thing that I have read on DDN. I know that it will be greatly appreacheated by anyone who has any questions about pregnance. It is not something to be taken lightly, but you have succeeded in giving the facts without condemming pregnant girls to hell.
You have given answers to almost any question I have ever had, congradulations.
Amazing post!
By xxkirstyxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1309, member since Sun Jun 15, 2003
On Fri Dec 16, 2005 02:11 PM
Go Crisy! I'm with ya on the wishful thinking that maybe all the 'I think I'm pregnant' posts will stop. Hopefully they will read this sticky first, because this information is so great.

Well done

Kirsty
re: (FAQ) The "Could I Be Pregnant?" Thread... (karma: 1)
By balletslipper Comments: 2594, member since Sat Sep 22, 2001
On Fri Dec 16, 2005 03:58 PM
That was a great post Cris.

But it blows me away that a lot of it would be new and helpful to so many people, when it should be common knowledge for anyone how is or is planning to be sexualy active. I mean I'm not ( i know, very old-fashioned - but i'm actually very tolerant of whoever wants to do whatever) but if you're gonna be, how can you still believe "pulling out" is an effective method of birth control, or in case you are pregnant, still have the "I have no clue what" to do attitude when stores are full of pregnancy tests and many areas have Planned parenthoods, family planning clinics or even hospitals.
I'm pretty clueless myself on many things but someone with as many issues to think about as sex (because - and I have to plug this in - there are also STDs and HIV to think about), I'm sorry but there should not be as many clueless youngsters are there are still. In some remote areas of the world obviously there would be so many conveniences and information, but when we are talking about the '1st world countries' ... people should that oral sex can't get you pregnant and, NO, pulling doesn't really work. This should be common knowledge and not reason to post panicked threads seeing as people online cannot get you the help you need if indeed, you are pregnant, even if they are well-intentioned.

*gets off soapbox*
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sat Dec 17, 2005 03:38 PM
^Exactly what I was saying as well.

If you aren't educated about sex, you shouldn't be doing it.
On Sat Dec 17, 2005 06:35 PM
Well said, Balletslipper.

It amazes and saddens me that girls do things they don't have eventhe slightest understanding of.

In another post I wrote "So you wanna have sex huh?" I said the same thing. It's not just crazy- it's down right stupid.
By dancingbuffy Comments: 131, member since Thu Apr 07, 2005
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 08:17 AM
Great post! However masturbation could cause pregnancy! If he touches his penis (when erect) and then touches your vagania practically straight afterwards there could be a chance of pregnancy. This is because as soon as the penis becomes erect it releases sperm without him sometimes knowing. This is a DANGER ZONE because this couls lead to unwanted pregnancy. All i can say is dont let him presure you into anything and make sure ur in a loving relationship and with someone who cares about you before you decide to do anything.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:37 PM
Excellent post, as always. I always insist that my boyfriend use a condom every time we have sex even though I'm on birth control. A lot of girls I know don't make their boyfriends use condoms since they're on birth control and it nearly gives me heart failure. He and I would much rather be as safe as possible than be faced with the painful decisions regarding an unwanted pregnancy.
By babytexas07 Comments: 86, member since Sun Nov 13, 2005
On Sun Dec 25, 2005 04:56 PM
as soon as the penis becomes erect it releases sperm without him sometimes knowing

hmm interesting, didn't know that? I always thought they were able to feel every sudden jerk, even the precum? If someone could explain this it'd be appreciated lol I'm curious...never heard of that before.
By xoxoAnnettexoxo Comments: 171, member since Fri Mar 05, 2004
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 07:46 AM
great post, thanks!!
By Katherine2204 Comments: 70, member since Sat Oct 15, 2005
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 05:19 PM
Awesome post! I do agree with you that people should not be lying about being pregnant. It is a silly thing to do that can cause a lot of heartache and frustration.

Thank you for this post!
xk
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 05:25 PM
hmm interesting, didn't know that? I always thought they were able to feel every sudden jerk, even the precum? If someone could explain this it'd be appreciated lol I'm curious...never heard of that before.

Nope.

I would assume that guys can feel the orgasm (in the same way that girls can), but they don't know when the precum is...coming, for lack of a better word.

t
By PrettyHillyBilly Comments: 28, member since Sat Jan 21, 2006
On Tue Jan 24, 2006 08:21 PM
WONDERFUL POST!!! thank you so much for providing ppl with this information...everyone needs to know this, especially with so much false info out there. trust me, it's appreciated. :)
By balletlover88 Comments: 2251, member since Wed Aug 14, 2002
On Tue Feb 07, 2006 08:28 AM
Excellent post, as always Crisy!

Question: I know that missing a period is a sign of pregancy normally, but how does this work if you were to get pregnant while on birth control (e.g. the Pill)? Would your period just not come in the next 7 day gap it was supposed to come in? Or would you have to stop taking the pill to be able to tell? Basically my question is, how would you know if you did get pregnant while on birth control?
By sweetyface17 Comments: 650, member since Mon Nov 08, 2004
On Tue Mar 14, 2006 08:10 AM
Awesome! Thanks, I was starting to get annoyed by the sheer redundant-ness (lol, is that even a word?) of these posts. Its like, "yeah, um, if you did it, then you might. yes, it's still possible if it was on a washcloth." I hate that question. Lol.
re: (FAQ) The
By DaNcEr_222 Comments: 107, member since Sun Feb 02, 2003
On Mon Jun 04, 2007 08:41 PM
these are great questions and answers. i hope all girls read.. good job :)
By divinethewake09 Comments: 5, member since Sat Oct 01, 2005
On Fri Aug 24, 2007 09:45 PM
can pre-cum get you pregnant?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sat Aug 25, 2007 03:44 PM
Yes, it has sperm so it can get you pregnant.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch