Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Just an introduction.........
By Jshbo724
On Tue Dec 20, 2005 07:03 PM

I'm new here, and I love to figure skate, so I thought I'd introduce myself!! My name's Jessica, and I'm 14. I've had lessons for about 3 and half months, and I'm skating at the freestyle 4 level. I love it so much. I only get to go about 3 times a week, about 1.5 hours each time. I wish I could go more, but no time. I'm a cheerleader for my high school, so I have to complete the rest of this year until I'm out of it and can get to the rink more. :C Oh well. I can't wait until next season to start competing. Hopefully I'll be at least in the pre-juv level by then. Maybe even Juvenile. I'm moving up pretty fast. I know it may be a stretch, but high goals aren't too bad. Make me work harder, LOL.

So.... what levels are you guys skating at?

8 Replies to Just an introduction.........

re: Just an introduction....
By etoile_et_lune
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 05:02 AM
In Australia the system is different, but i've completed advanced - then I didn't take any tests for ages, butI'm going for my junior level soon! :) Welcome to the board :)
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 09:08 AM
Wow...you've only been skating for 3.5 months and you're in freestyle 4 already? That's pretty impressive. It usually takes people at least that long to get out of delta, especially only skating for 4.5 hours a week. Good for you, what's your secret?
By Jshbo724
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:56 AM
Edited by Jshbo724 (147912) on 2005-12-22 11:57:25 to add a thank you
tumbling/gymnastics. Took it for 2 years, but I had to quit because of my knees, it was incredibly hard on them. I loved it, but just couldn't take it anymore. So I went into skating!!

Yeah, that's what my coach told me, LOL. She said I make her job a lot easier since I catch on fast. And it makes me excited when I learn so many new things, LOL. It's why I probably love it soooo much.

How long have you guys been skating for?

p.s.: thank you guys for welcoming me! :D
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 01:39 PM
If you have knee problems then expect to run into trouble with skating too, especially when you start working on sit spins and such. I never used to have knee problems, but now that I'm skating I notice I get aches and pains in both of my knees.
By Jshbo724
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 04:32 PM
Hmmm... I haven't noticed any pain with my sit spins..... My problems were just from the impact of tumbling soooo much. They've been able to heal a bit since I've stopped, so maybe that's why I don't get pain with skating. Probably won't get more problems until I start harder jumps like the axel and doubles, which won't be for a while, LOL. So my knees get a break until then, thank god. LOL. But they seem to have gotten better, so hopefully they won't detieriorate anymore. (my cartilage, yuck/ouch, LOL :P)
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 24, 2005 09:06 PM
Well i have no clue about the levels from where u are from, but i compete sr.bronze freeskate, bronze interperstiave, jr.silver skills, and now i'm just working on my jr.silver freeskate...
i've been skating competitivaly since i was 8 years old....i skate 3-4 times per week, because it is not my only sport that i do...
welcome....
maybe if you have time someone could explain the levels from where they are from?
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:13 PM
United States Figure Skating test levels go as follows:

PrePreliminary
Preliminary
PreJuvenile
Juvenile
Intermediate
Novice
Junior
Senior

There is a field move test and a freestyle test for each level, and you have to pass your field moves before you can take the freestyle for one specific level. You can test up in field moves without taking freestyles though.
When competing, you have to compete at the level you've tested up to. In non-qualifying competitions (like local comps) you're allowed to skate one level up from what you've tested.
Could someone explain to me how the Canadian levels work? I've always been curious how they compare to the American ones.
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 25, 2005 04:41 PM
In Canada
there is two sections
Star Skate
and Competitive

Star Skate:
Elementary
Pre-Preliminary
Prelimimnary
Jr.Bronze
Sr.Bronze
Jr.Silver
Sr.Silver
Gold

These events can qualify you only to Pacific Skate (aka provincals, and only some events can go to Canadians, like Triatholons)... you skate in the event which you have completed the test for, and you are allowed to skate up one level at non-qualiflying competitions. There are Two parts to the Star Skate tests, Part 1, which is stroking, jumps, spins, field work, spirals etc... and Part 2, is your program.

For Competitive:
Pre-Juvenile for skaters 11 and under for Ladies, and 12 and under for men
Juvenile for skaters 12 and under for Ladies and 13 and under for men.
Pre-Novice, No age restrictions
Novice, No age restrictions
Junior
Senior
I believe for jr you have to be under the age of 18.

For Competivie skating this are the events that qualify you to Winter Games, Opens, Canadians, etc.... This field is more for the competitive skaters, that are really focused on skating. I'm not sure about there test but i beleive they are the same as StarSkate....

Those are the Freeskate tests... but the level names are somewhat different for Dance, Skills, and Intreprestative...

I would like to know if these levels are different from anywhere else in Canada, or if i left out or made a mistake of some other information about the levels.

-katrina

ReplySendWatch