Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
Irish - Hardshoe
Hard Shoe Reviews (karma: 3)
By Dance_Irishmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 332, member since Wed Mar 02, 2005
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 01:39 PM
Made sticky by calypso (11968) on 2006-01-05 12:46:31

Sorry if i missed a post already made on this subject, but there's only oone page of topics under hardshoe so...

Hard Shoe Reviews, Hvae you had a pair of hardshoes you really didn't like? Have a pair that's perfect for you? Share what you have to say on different hard shoes you've had and maybe it'll help someone looking for a new pair... they can read what others think of different brands, styles etc.

If this has already been posted, I'll lock the thread so it won't be bringing up something old.

131 Replies to Hard Shoe Reviews

re: Hard Shoe Reviews
By AisAis Comments: 2969, member since Sun Apr 03, 2005
On Fri Dec 23, 2005 04:11 PM
I hated Belfast Panthers becaues the elastic part made my foot go numb, the tips felt akward because of the shape and size, the looked ugly on your feet, and they made my ankles look weird. They felt HORRIBLE.

I hated Boyne Walk because the soles where way to soft. So soft that the balls of your feet hurt because you could feel the floor through them. The heels made a sound sounded like banging plastic bangles together. The tipes wheren't any louder then my old ones, despite the maahoosive tip.

I hated paceli because they made a rubbish noise. But then again, they where fibre glass. I hated the round shape of them, and the way they looked on my feet. The leather soles are too tough, and the black sweid is too soft. The heels taper inwards making them harder to click.

I'm hard to please :D

I LOVE fayes because they look FIT on feet. They have a lovely shape at the front. They made a wicked sound. The heels are mega loud, and slightly convex to click. The feel JUST right, and I love them.
By Bec_member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1055, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Fri Dec 23, 2005 04:23 PM
i hated corrs....they looked, felt and sounded horrible.

i hated belfast panthers, tip MASSIVE and too short, and everytime i stood up i slipped over in them , even with tape on!
(in my opinion these are the WORST shoes, never buy them)

i loved my 3 pairs of rutherfords, hated breaking them in...they looked lovely on my feet when i first got them but by the time i was due a new pair they were wrecked and floppy...not good. oh, and my last 2 pairs of rutherfords have both split after about two months, the last pair after only wearing them for the nationals.

Fays, the BEST...suede sole all the way. first pair of heavies i got when i needed to start doing toe work, and they were lovely. again, a bugger to break in but so comfortable when they finally are. after fays i tried the rutherfords, now im back to them and i wouldnt change again. never. (unless of course they invented a no blister shoe). they have super tips and heels and make a nice crisp sound.

fays definitely get my vote.

bec x
By reel_jigger Comments: 1015, member since Fri Oct 03, 2003
On Sat Dec 24, 2005 06:58 PM
I think I've said this about a thousand times...but here it is in simple terms:

Corr's: HORRIBLE (loud, but really sloppy and way too flexi)

Pacelli Golds: HORRIBLE (Flimsy, tips break off, leather slides over back of heel)

Fays: ROCK MY SOCKS! (Best shoe ever, great sound, great durability. Only setback is they come in only narrow sizes and I have wide feet, so they tae forever to break in. Other than that...thay are PERFECT!!!)
By DanceForCraic Comments: 2840, member since Sun Apr 07, 2002
On Sat Dec 24, 2005 07:08 PM
Ha, that avatar is driving my nuts. I was like, "Why is Aisling posting twice??" Then I saw it was twinkletoez.

Corr's: HORRIBLE (loud, but really sloppy and way too flexi)

I have Corrs right now. I really liked the sound, but they were so heavy when I first got them so they felt clumsy. Once I got used to them I thought they looked really nice on my feet, but NOW they have gotten way to flexi and I have taco toes. Which means I need to strengthen my feet, but it also means that I probably will try Fays next time.
~Chelsea~
By MissBigWigmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Tue Jan 20, 2004
On Sat Dec 24, 2005 09:35 PM
I've had:
Rutherford (basic leatherbottoms): pretty solid shoe. Lasted years, but I don't recall how they fit exactly. Just know I outgrew them before they wore out! I was actually able to sell them used online.

Fays: (Suede Sole, Superflexis) Good experience overall. VERY LITTLE breaking in necessary. Very comfortable. I just started doing toestands where I got them, so the squared tips took a beating-the tip of the squared toe splintered-so much so they're beyond the point where it's worth selling them. They stretched alot, so size for that. I liked the way that they fit the toe piece (of fiberglass). The cut is smooth (see review for Rutherford Flexis). They weren't very supportive, but very flexible and it was great having Pat Fay at pretty much every feis. They would have been an easy repair or replace had I needed to do either (I didn't). HOWEVER, my foot is very wide, so they stretched too much on the side and didn't fit properly.

Rutherford Superflexi Shamrock Laces: Fit excellently, but were a DEVIL to break in. Especially with the Shamrock, it really irritated my heels for months. I still have a rough heel because of them. HOWEVER, they fit beautifully and sound great (much louder than my Fay's, but then again, they fit properly, so that's not necessarily exclusive but coincidental). They are, however, tearing apart where the soles meet the top of the shoe, along the sole. They cut the toe piece VERY squarely (?) and it's just awkward and makes (at least my leather sole) bubble up. They will need replacing soon. Other than that, the tips are virtually intact with quite some abuse.
MY "SHOE-IES"
Best Fit for Wide Feet: Rutherfords
Best Shoe Construction: Fays
Best Heels: Rutherfords
Best Support: Rutherfords
Best Ease of Break-in: Fays
Best Customer Service (for East Coasters I guess..don't know about the rest of you): Fays by far.

Liz
By RavenMadmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1531, member since Thu Oct 06, 2005
On Sun Dec 25, 2005 02:43 AM
Corrs: not my favorites by a long shot. Felt unevenly weighted and heavy. Broke in fairly quickly, but became too flexible too fast.

Halmors (were a special order in fake leather, so take that in mind): fell apart in a fraction of the time that they should have lasted. Heels sounded good and crisp, but tips just made a loud thudding noise. Never truly conformed to my feet.

Fays: best I've used. Good for narrow feet, conform well, good balance between support and flexibility, sound great on both tips and heel, easy to balance on in toe stands, easier to do heel clicks in than the others I've worn.
By everdancingmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4095, member since Fri Feb 01, 2002
On Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:15 AM
I figured I'd post my shoe questions on this thread rather than starting a new one since they're related, I hope that's ok. :) Anyway, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect hardshoe that will support my foot in toe stands (I've got fairly strong feet) but isn't like ultra stiff to the point where toe work is nearly impossible. Right now I'm trying Hullachans, and they have a good amount of support but I don't like the sound very much (not loud enough, kind of "dead" sounding). I much prefer the sound of Halmors, but my black suede Halmors were wayyyyyy too flexible. I'm considering trying another pair of shoes, but as the only places to get shoes around here pretty much only sell Hullachans, Rutherfords (which I hate), and Halmor, I'll probably have to order online. I was looking at the Halmor Arch Support shoe today (irishbutterfly.server298.com . . .) and I thought the shank thing looked cool. Has anyone tried these, and does the shank really work to support your arch on pointe?? Also, it says they can special order them with "wide click heels"- would those be considered bubble heels, and would they be illegal for competition?

Also, I've been hearing rave reviews from lots of you guys about Fays. How do they compare to Halmors- Louder/Quieter? More/less flexible?

If anyone has any info that would help me out, I would really appreciate it! :)

*Heather*
By justamum Comments: 351, member since Fri Mar 22, 2002
On Mon Dec 26, 2005 07:06 AM
My 15 year old DD wore Corr's for two years and loved them, the sound was wonderful & as she was unable to lock her knees at that time, they were flexi enough for her to toewalk in easily. Before Corr's she had Boyne Walk, which at that time were a very lightweight hardshoe & ideal for her during her recovery from Osgood Schlatter's. Pacelli Golds stretched too much for her narrow feet, despite the fact that they were tight when we bought them. She is now wearing Pacelli suede soles which fit her narrow, high-arched feet perfectly.After a while they became too flexi for her, so Pacelli added a rubber half-sole for her, for a minimal charge.

My 9 year old atarted out in Boyne Walks, changing over to Pacellis when they introduced the suede sole. The suede sole is flexible enough to allow her to point her toes well when she clicks. Pacelli have created a new tip called 'Liberty', which I believe they will be promoting at the AI.
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4495, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:10 PM
I started out with Pacelli super-flexis for the first few years of non-competing (in other words, no dancing hard. Basically treble reels) and they were okay for me at the time. But when I started competing I realized that they were icky. Couldn't do toestands worth anything, and the sound was faint. So I traded those in and got a pair of...

Fays! Granted, I don't dance in them as much as some do (class once a week, teaching once a week) but they have held up really well. I have had them for 9 months now and they are doing just fine. I can easily do toe stands (I have the leather sole-they feel like pointe shoes to me. Ahhhh...) and my sounds are pretty darn good. Clicks are much easier as well. The heel is slightly rounded, whereas the Pacelli's were straight. They have stretched just enough to fit, and I haven't needed to repair anything on them thus far. I have a wide metatarsal, so shoes can look kinda goofy on my feet, but these look really nice. They gave me blisters like crazy the first few weeks, but now that they are broken in, they are fine.

It's funny, my whole team used to have different kinds of shoes, and everyone has been slowly converting to Fays...I think there's only two people who have different brands now.
re: Hard Shoe Reviews (karma: 1)
By RavenMadmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1531, member since Thu Oct 06, 2005
On Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:47 PM
everdancing...I've used Halmors, though not the arch support model. I checked out the link you posted though. I'm not sure about those. Maybe I'm just biased from all my years in ballet, but metal shanks are considered a major no-no in ballet. They can seriously damage your feet. Of course, there's a lot more between the shank and your foot in hardshoes than pointe shoes, but I'm still a bit leary personally.

In comparison to Halmors, Fays are much much crisper in sound! To start with, they're fairly comparable in terms of flexibility. But when broken in, I found Fays to better conform to the individual foot which makes them feel more flexible, even if they aren't really (does that make sense?).
By shamrocker Comments: 290, member since Fri May 13, 2005
On Tue Dec 27, 2005 09:20 AM
I agree with twinkle toes, don't buy belfast panthers. They're heels are really weird. When you hit them together they sound like plastic. The heels are also REALLY high. I could barely even get off them. I've only had them for a month and the tips are already chipping and just like twinkletoes I too kept slipping even with duct tape. The straps also fell off mine. These shoes drive me bonkers!! I'd never get them again.
By dancingineire Comments: 530, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:52 AM
I've only ever had Rutherfords Traditional Flexi Hardshoes. They are just the plain leather soles. Hard to break in, but you simply cannot kill these shoes once they are broken in. They are sort of old-school (no padding, no fancy suede soles, etc) just a great hardshoe with a nicely squared off toe and a great loud sound. Some others in my class wear Corrs and I get a much better sound out of my Rutherfords.

Of course, different people have different shaped feet. Fays may be awesome for some people with narrow feet, but not those with wider feet. Rutherfords are great for normal to wide feet, but a narrow-footed person might not like them. Corrs has awesome padding. That may be more important to some people than the weight of the shoe. So, it is best to decide what type of feet you have and what is most important to you. Then, go for the brand that caters more to that type. However, I also like to hear about what brands everyone is wearing and why.
By reel_in_firstmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1089, member since Fri Jul 08, 2005
On Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:36 PM
Edited by reel_in_first (135455) on 2006-01-01 12:38:33
Aaaaahh the Belfast Panthers. :P

Icky shoes. Bad shoes!

I HATE the sound of the tips! They sound like they're made of wood. And the heels are soooo hard to get clicks. You have to hit them in exactly the right place or else they too sound like wood.

Aaaaahh Fays. Dear sweet Fays.

LOVE 'em. I've got the grey-soled. Amazing sound and durable too.

I'll think I will cry when my Fays die and leave me all alone with the Belfast Panthers.
By RattyPattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4261, member since Mon Dec 29, 2003
On Mon Jan 09, 2006 09:04 PM
Well,I have only had fays,and I love them,but I have one problem,the back part,where your heel is,it falls off and doesnt stay on,so when I am trying to do heelwalks,the heels slide underneath my feet,and it really hurts,I have elastics on to keep the back up,but it doesnt seem to work.
Does anyone have any suggestions,on a different shoe,or something to add to make it work?
By FourGet4Reel Comments: 30, member since Mon Oct 24, 2005
On Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:21 PM
I've always had Rutherfords and I have really liked them. They are hard to break in but I guess that prevents taco toes. Frankly I am afraid to try a new kind of shoe. I need new ones right now and I keep hesitating to buy them. Rutherford has a new Super Flexi Plus for wider feet that I might try. Anyone tried those? Anyway, I have been happy with my Rutherfords.
By irishdancn89 Comments: 21, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Tue Jan 10, 2006 05:31 PM
I like Rutherfords the best because of the bubbled heels which make clicking easier. I do not like the black bottoms because they provide no support. Good old fasjhioned rutherfords are the best
By Rosiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4094, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 07:05 PM
Edited by Blunt_Rosie (98237) on 2006-01-17 19:12:35
I have Corrs right now, and I really like them, but the only shoes I've ever tried before were the basic Rutherfords...you know, just the tan soles, that never break in. I think I'm gonna try Fays next.

EDIT: Fays has three kinds of hardshoes:Fay's Original Super Flexi Shoes
(Leather Sole), Fay's Super Flexi
(Grey Suede Sole), Fay's Ultra Flexi(Black Suede Sole). What do you guys recommend?
By butterfly_capemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1722, member since Thu Dec 29, 2005
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 07:26 PM
i LOVE my corrs to death, i wouldnt consider buying another brand. i have corrs champion (split sole)

ive had them for ages, i think i got thenm late 2003/early 2004 and theyre only starting to die now and the only issue is the tips being worn down.
they were my first pair of flexable shoes as i was just lerning toe work when i got them.
they didnt take very long to break in at all.
i think your corrs life depends on the type of shoe. the lady i got mine from told us not to get the super flexy ones as they wouldn't support my foot as i have quite narrow feet and they would die quite easily.
the champion split sole ones are amazing. they feel great they have amazing sound, and toe work is really easy.
By reelcanadiangirlPremium member Comments: 1125, member since Sat Aug 14, 2004
On Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:36 AM
I wear Halmor Super flexis (tan, stitched bottom, diamond tips). I have mixed feelings about them. On the bad side they were a devil to break in and the heels are tapered, which makes clicks difficult, though not impossible. On the good side they last forever (4 years and they are only just starting to die, hope to get another 6 months out of them). The tips have a nice sound, but the heels don't because they are plastic. Toe stands are really easy in them and they give nice support (would propably give excellent support usually, mine are a size too big). I guess I'm saying they are okay, but when I get my next pair I'll probably go for something else.
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2903, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Sun Jan 29, 2006 01:26 PM
I *love* my Fays. I had leather soled Fays when I started, bought them second-hand (about 2 years old at that time) and got another 3 years out of them. Great shoes to start with and since I don't do toe-stands (I'm CRN) they didn't need a lot of extra breaking-in.
My current (and 2nd) pair is a pair of black-suede sold Fays and they are fab. They were comfortable from the very first moment, were broken in right away without sacrificing support, and the heels are slightly bubbled so I hit my clicks every time. My TC (or ODCRN as a CRN teacher is officially called) has even put me in a solo bit in our group TJ because I'm the only one who never misses her front and back clicks now that I have these Fays. Whoo-hoo!
HARD SHOE REVIEW
By sealgaire Comments: 88, member since Mon Mar 14, 2005
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 08:25 AM
well being new to this my 6yr old DD wears Rutherfords and she likes them . They did hurt her feet when we first got them . But i stuffed them with wet news paper every chance i got for the first 3 weeks and tied them in different positions while drying .. And then she never did have any trouble with them BUT now i need to get her a new pairas i know these are starting to get a wee bit small. So by reading here i have got some imput from those that wear them .. i have a new pair of the panthers . But they are way too big and after reading what is said about them . think i will just sell.
By kimmers Comments: 8, member since Mon Feb 20, 2006
On Mon Feb 20, 2006 06:01 PM
If there is one type of shoes I would recomend, it would be fays! Everyone is saying that but I completely agree. I think that they look the best on your foot and you can just tell by looking at them that their of great quality. I actually just got a new pair of them today! It's my second pair of hardshoes and they were both fays so I don't have much to compare them to but I really love them!
By slip_jig_genny Comments: 171, member since Thu Oct 06, 2005
On Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:28 PM
Everyone talks about Fays or Fay's or Fayes. Where can I find some and which spelling is the right one? I have basic beginner Halmor and I really don't like them.
By slip_jig_genny Comments: 171, member since Thu Oct 06, 2005
On Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:30 PM
Edited by slip_jig_genny (142651) on 2006-02-28 12:38:42
Forget my question, Found'em!

Which one do you recommend?

- Super Flexi Shoes Price: $135.00
- "ULTRA FLEXI" or "ULTRA FLEXI" Medium to Wide Price: $135.00
- Fay's Original "Flexi" Price: $115.00
- Fay's Original "Flexi" Price: $135.00

www.fayshoes.com . . .
Page: