Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Page:
Page 2 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
Fays has wides
By Hardshoe Comments: 35, member since Sat Sep 29, 2001
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:16 PM
Reel_Jigger fays has wides. you can find them on www.fayshoes.com . . . or on
www.hardshoe.com . . . (no photo on hardshoe yet)
re: Hard Shoe Reviews
By Esztymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 78, member since Thu Apr 06, 2006
On Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:59 PM
Hello

Can someone tell me what is the difference between Fay's with black suede sole and Fay's with grey sole?
I had black suede sole Fay's, but I have to change them, because they are killing my smallest toe and I thought I would try the grey one.

Thanks,
Eszter
By sfizzlemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 576, member since Thu Jan 06, 2005
On Wed Apr 12, 2006 06:44 PM
WOW, I think I must be the only person who has HATED my Fays.

This is what happened AFTER I had to have 3 pairs shipped becaus the Fays company kept sending the wrong ones when we had specifically asked for the correct ones.

Pehaps I just got a bad pair, but the tips and heels are chipping, the strap came off in my hand the 1st day I had it. I then got it fixed at a shoe repair place and then the OTHER side did the same thing and then the original one did it again after I had it replaced, and the tips are actually coming off the leather part of the shoe. I have to duct tape the bottom fiber glass piece to the rest of my shoe (Wrapped around like a bandage) The duct tape is the ONLY thing keeping those dang shoes together. I'm really worried that I'll do a toestand and injure myself because of the tip coming all the way off. However, I'm afraid to get new shoes because the only ones readily available out here are Rutherfords and I know those don't work for me.

And my teacher has been bugging me to staighten my knees and get over my toe more on toestands. She recently discovered after having me do it at the barre, that it wasn't me messing up my toestands, it was the shoes doing something strange.

These shoes were very poorly made. But, again, perhaps I just got a bad pair. However, I don't think I'll take a chance on another pair of Fays any time soon.

(Sorry for the little rant, but I've only had these shoes for 3-4 months and they've been breaking the whole time; and now they're dead.)

sfizzle
By Pantera_Bread Comments: 312, member since Thu Apr 13, 2006
On Fri Apr 14, 2006 03:23 PM
I'm currently shopping for new hard shoes and my friend recomended Antonio Pacelli super flexi, but after reading this, I think I might like Fays better. I already love my fays soft shoes, and you guys seem to love the hard shoes so.... my overall question is which ones? I've been told that suede soles don't last as long and hurt your feet, but has anyone had that?? So any advice on this matter would be amazing.
By Pantera_Bread Comments: 312, member since Thu Apr 13, 2006
On Fri Apr 14, 2006 03:24 PM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2007-02-02 11:05:24 Double post.
I'm currently shopping for new hard shoes and my friend recomended Antonio Pacelli super flexi, but after reading this, I think I might like Fays better. I already love my fays soft shoes, and you guys seem to love the hard shoes so.... my overall question is which ones? I've been told that suede soles don't last as long and hurt your feet, but has anyone had that?? So any advice on this matter would be amazing.
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 03:40 AM
Hey

If I remember rightly Fays are hard to break into, but are hard wearing.

Antonio Pachelli, tip sounds a bit weird.

Boyne Walk Thunder Tips - Absolutely amazing. I loved these shoes, they made a great sound with the tips and my trebles (although I didn't do them right) made a really could sound compared to the Pachelli's. The only downside was that mine were too big and the cost is alot. I also found it easy to get on my toes, but often had a burning sensation on the balls of my feet, Where the bottom of the shoe dug in, but I think that was because mine were way too big!

Hullachan Pros - Really Good! Heels very hard wearing, no marks of engravement where you have clicked your shoe at all! Clicks sound brilliant, no wood sounds at all! Tips are pretty loud and sound nice too. A very good shoe.

xxClairexx
By ceilibrator56member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 139, member since Wed Jan 05, 2005
On Sun Apr 23, 2006 06:50 PM
The only hard shoes ive never tried are the pacellis and ive had a wide variety of likes and dislikes of every shoe.
--My very first pair of hardshoes were fays and being the softie i am, i kept them. Looking at them now i have to say they are one of the most well constructed shoes ive ever seen. At the time i was too young to kno the difference but now i see the high quality of the leather and neatness of the stiching and all that good stuff.
--My second pair were also fays and they lasted me a solid 3 years and the only reason i had to retire them was the leather bottom had gotten too broken in. Again wonderfully constructed shoes with very high quality leather but i find Patrick Fay to be a bit of a grouch.
--After my 3rd pair of fays i decided to try Corrs and even though they were the most comfortable pair of shoes ive ever worn they fell apart or got too worn out within a couple months. I also had a problem with the metal button that held the buckle on. They would bend and break and when doing a slice they would scratch my legs and ankles leaving some pretty unsightly scars. On only one of my pairs the shank actually poked through the leather sole. They were also very heavy but the sound was fine and the customer service was GREAT! Jullian Wilde and his wife are some of the most friendly people you will ever meet.
--Im currently wearing the Rutherford flexi with the shamrock lacing and i LOVE them to death. After the buckle problem with the corrs the lacing was heaven sent and the sound was so crisp and clear. I had no problem with breaking them in (i bought them at a feis and wore them the same day!) and they make my feet look so neat and small. The thick tips were kind of hard to get used to because youre never on the leather part of the sole which gives you less traction but makes it much easier to get the sound you want.
--I tried the belfast panthers on at nationals last year and they were very uncomfortable. The tips even made standing hard, i cant imagine anyone trying to actually dance in them. (the softshoes look halfway promising though)
--Many people in my school had hullichans and i had worn them for a class once when i forgot my hardshoes and they were comfortable but the incline of the tips was too big so it was like a big wedge under your toes which put alot of stress on the balls of your feet. And they also had many MANY problems with the heels flying off.
Overall, i would have to reccomend fays or rutherfords but mostly rutherfords for higher level dancers who are concerned with theyre shoes looking extrta neat =)
By sugardance2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1170, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Thu Jun 22, 2006 05:24 PM
I LOVVVEEE my antonio pacelli gold hardshoes. They fit my feet perfectly. They are flexible and they look good too. They give you support where you neeed it. The only bad thing about them is that the straps on mine break a lot. I don't know it could just be my shoes or my fault. I'm not sure where you can get them because I got mine from another dancer at my dance school!

KaTiE
By Narbhflaith Comments: 33, member since Thu Jun 15, 2006
On Sat Jun 24, 2006 04:28 PM
I have been wearing Hullachans - which are beautifully made and oh so comfortable. I really love them, but they are too wide for my feet. After reading the many posts regarding Fays I decided to look into getting a pair - I was confused about the difference between the grey sole and the black sole - apparently there isn't a difference at all! I ended up getting the grey sole and what a perfect fit. My feet are so narrow, and these fit much better. I think they are well made, and I'm loving the sound, but I wish they had some of the advanced features of the Hullachan. I'm having new orthotics made for my Fay's with extra cusioning which should help.
By hornpiper08 Comments: 92, member since Sun Feb 12, 2006
On Thu Jun 29, 2006 09:28 PM
There Are Many Types of Fays and No one is saying which one they have. I want something in between the standard leather sole and the standard suede sole. I currently have suede-soled super-flexies but they're worn out and didn't give me enough support. But, I do toestands, so I need flexibility in the sole.
HELP!!!
The Proccess of buying hardshoes it totally overwhelming!

Beth
By EatSleepID Comments: 389, member since Sat Jun 04, 2005
On Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:34 AM
.dont.buy.panthers.

...ever

I mean it!!!
By Narbhflaith Comments: 33, member since Thu Jun 15, 2006
On Sat Jul 01, 2006 03:14 PM
It would be really helpful if you explained why one shouldn't buy Panthers. Are they poorly made or what?

Narbhflaith
By xcelticcurlsx Comments: 31, member since Wed Aug 09, 2006
On Thu Aug 10, 2006 02:55 AM
i hated my belfast panthers but i liked my fays because they looked better and made a better sound from the tips but the panthers make your feet look like clown feet i dont know why but they do to me
By butterfly_capemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1722, member since Thu Dec 29, 2005
On Thu Aug 10, 2006 04:37 AM
ok i lied,
i DID go for another brand, as they were recomended to me, and i found a cheep pair :P

i got fays! woo grey soles, i must say they are great shoes, great sound and their mighty comfy, but i will be going back to coors next year-ish, when i need new shoes, theres just something annoying me about my fays--

ow yea, and there is the little matter of the giant throbbing pains in my big toes when i dance in them,
the tips are giant (well compared to the corrs that im used to)
and so my big toes are being lifter up to an uncomfortable posision, and then when i stand on the bals of my toes, they really hurt, unless i tape them..

so yea, fays are ok, i would recomend them, but i loved my corrs (an aquired taste--dont mind my bad spelling)

ond
By MEtwinkletoes967 Comments: 177, member since Wed Aug 23, 2006
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 09:38 AM
HAlmor-I got my fist pair of hardshoes(Halmors) used at the end of my firt year dancing.They were already pretty much broken in until I started doing toe stands, but after a while they were perfect. Ive now been dancing and are still using them. Although I amm very sad to say that my favorite shoes are now in horrible condition after about 7 years of use in all.

Antonio Pacelli-My new shoes are Antonio Pacelli Super Flexi and I have one thing to say. They are not super flexi. It has been a month of wearing them every day and they still are not broken in. Secondly, the heal was so bad that when I clicked, chips of the heel would actually fly off, So we had the heels replaced at ruthefords. Now I have to deal with them until they are ready to be thrown out.

Fays: I bought a pair of fays and they sent the wrong size so we had to send them back, then the size that we ordered was too big but my mom didnt want to send them back. I have wide feet so I couldn't wear them for more than 2 weeks. The fit was all wrong.
Summary: Halmor-LOVE
Antonio Pacelli-NO
Fays-IF I must
By Stewart14 Comments: 22, member since Sat Sep 09, 2006
On Sun Sep 10, 2006 05:29 AM
rutherford: well....they are too wide for my feet as my feet are narrow.......i had tanned leather soles with fibreglass tips....they hardly made any noise but the clicks were superb.

pacceli gold: again too wide.... tips are good but the heel is very small so its very hard to click......the leather got holes in them and the strap is vynal (plastic stuff that ties to mimic leather) not leather so the strap broke.

Halmor: PERFECT!!!! they are narrow so they fit my feet perfectly......superb sound and superb clicks.......very comfortable and they look very nice on my feet..

my teacher wants me to get belfast panthers....is it really that bad!!!
By OfallyNice Comments: 163, member since Thu Sep 28, 2006
On Mon Oct 16, 2006 08:58 AM
Rutherfords used to be good..But leather strechs To much and the heel always seems to fall off ...Fays are going to be my next pair.
By Summer Comments: 1255, member since Sat Sep 09, 2006
On Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:54 AM
Everyone in Trinity dances in Rutherfords. My teacher recommends the ones with the light-colored stitched soles. Supposedly they are the only ones that give proper support. You need to really break them in and soften them if you want to do toe.
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2482, member since Thu Aug 21, 2003
On Mon Oct 16, 2006 02:56 PM
Here are three brands of shoe that I've worn, and reactions:

Halmor Flexi Sole Narrow Heel:
- Worst hardshoe I've ever worn. The leather stretched a ton, the heel was too narrow for consistent clicks, and they were too narrow for me.

Fay's Gray Suede sole:
- Didn't like this brand either. The tips were too soft, and the sole broke in way too fast, and didn't give support... ouchie feet. They fit me weird too.

Rutherford Regular Flexis:
- This is my preferred shoe. I have wider feet so they fit me nice, I like the Concorde heel, and the thick sole, while harder to break in, gives me a lot more support.

Tada.
By tipharahPremium member Comments: 17, member since Wed Oct 18, 2006
On Thu Oct 19, 2006 08:27 PM
This was a brilliant thread to start, I've been looking for something like this for forever! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

I absolutely do NOT like rutherfords, they wear out insanely fast (i've had one pair and the tips were gone in about 3 months and all my friends have had problems with them, even though some of them really like them).

I currently have the Corr's Champion Hardshoe and I really like them, my husband on the other hand thinks the Julian Wilder (the guy who designed the shoes) has no idea what he's doing. My husband prefers Halmor Super Flexi's (I think they are super flexi's). One bad thing about Corr's that I've experienced when ordering for the other dancers in our dance troupe is that their shoes are to narrow for anyone with a wider foot.

It sounds like a lot of people are really impressed with Fay's I will be sure to try those for my next pair of shoes.
By wildirishdancer Comments: 237, member since Wed Oct 25, 2006
On Sat Oct 28, 2006 03:24 PM
I am most likely the only person in the world that likes the belfast pathers...I got them at nationals and my dancing really took off after that. I love the way they make my toe walks look, but i lost all suport in them like 10 months after i bought them.
rutherfords all the way!!
By irishdance24_7 Comments: 208, member since Fri Nov 03, 2006
On Fri Nov 10, 2006 01:41 PM
I *love* my rutherfords! i have the suede ones, and they are so flexible and comfortable that i could do toe stands the first day i had them!!
Hard Shoe Reviews
By bre_2_3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2239, member since Fri Jul 18, 2003
On Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:33 PM
bought blarney's in a pinch, hated them. plastic heels, impossible to click. bend in weird places. i think they're discontinued.

i then had 2 pairs of rutherford traditional flexis, with the stiff leather, stitched bottom. i LOVE these shoes, but as my feet are narrow, they stretched out a bit too wide. after about 1 year the upper started tearing away from the sole, so i had a local cobbler glue it back, since he couldn't stitch it back together. also, the strap broke a week before oireachtas last year, but easy to fix. now after 2 years, the upper is even farther torn away from the sole. time to retire, i think. i'm going to look into fays stitched leather ones at the oireachtas, or maybe just stick with rutherfords. also, i didn't have any trouble breaking the second pair of rutherfords in, which was nice. it took a week. Judging from other people's experiences and my first pair, this is a fluke. highly recommended, especially for normal/wide feet, but i'm living proof they can work with narrow feet too.
By twinkle_toes__ Comments: 966, member since Sat Nov 04, 2006
On Wed Nov 15, 2006 04:10 PM
Are there any hardshoes that work well for small feet? I'm 16 and have women's 6, kid's 4 size feet and I'm wondering if that makes any difference in what shoes to get. Thanks~
By DanceBunnehmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 645, member since Sun Sep 04, 2005
On Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:22 AM
I didnt like my fays or Hullachan pros. The H.P's kept falling apart! the fibre glass heel actually almost fell off the shoe and the sides are splitting open! They are very comfy and have a nice sound but keep falling apart. My fays, well i have had 2 pairs of fays they both stretched in the back at the heel and fell off my foot.The leather was very thin and the heel was sinking and was too stretched to stay on my feet. I loved that they were narrow and they had great sound though.
Page:
Page 2 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch