Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Hard Shoe Reviews
By DanceBunnehmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 645, member since Sun Sep 04, 2005
On Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:27 AM
I didnt like my fays or Hullachan pros. The H.P's kept falling apart! the fibre glass heel actually almost fell off the shoe and the sides are splitting open! They are very comfy and have a nice sound but keep falling apart. My fays, well i have had 2 pairs of fays they both stretched in the back at the heel and fell off my foot.The leather was very thin and the heel was sinking and was too stretched to stay on my feet. I loved that they were narrow and they had great sound though.
By Marketta Comments: 136, member since Fri Aug 25, 2006
On Thu Dec 14, 2006 01:56 PM
I've had antonio pacelli's ultra flexis for about three years and now they are getting a bit dangerous as they no longer support my feet at all while doing toe stands. Apart from that I really like them. I would like to have shoes with a bit bigger heels, though, maybe I would get my clicks more often...

So I'm looking for shoes with a bit bigger heels (as long as they are allowed at feis, I think I've heard that bubble heels are not allowed, but I may be wrong) and shoes that are quite flexible, since I never managed to break in my first shoes, they were just horrible. I've been browsing all the websites for like months now, but just don't know what would be the best ones, so if anyone has some advice, I would be grateful :)
By twinkle_toes__ Comments: 966, member since Sat Nov 04, 2006
On Fri Dec 15, 2006 05:09 PM
I just got Rutherford suede superflexis and they're awesome! They have wider heels so they do make clicks easier and they're really easy to break in but don't let your foot taco. Just be sure to get the smallest size you can, they stretch a lot.
By Marketta Comments: 136, member since Fri Aug 25, 2006
On Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:49 AM
Thank you for your advice twinkle_toes! I ordered those shoes and got them today and I have to say, that I absolutely love them already :)
re: Hard Shoe Reviews (karma: 1)
By twinkle_toes__ Comments: 966, member since Sat Nov 04, 2006
On Fri Dec 22, 2006 08:12 PM
I'm glad you like them!
By Allianamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 501, member since Sat May 27, 2006
On Sun Dec 24, 2006 04:30 AM
I've only had one pair of hardshoes (even though I have been dancing for 9 years) and they are Fays.

I'd definetly recommend them, very comfortable, great sound and after 9 years still look great!
By rainbow84uk Comments: 55, member since Sun Feb 15, 2004
On Fri Jan 26, 2007 06:27 PM
I had no money when I started dancing so I got a second-hand pair of Inishfrees. I danced in them for two years and they are still sooo stiff! They have soles of steel (or maybe really thick leather! ;)) The heels are also almost impossible to click with!

Just starting back at a new dance class so I'm hoping to get a cheap new pair of heavies soon...some old and battered ones will suit me just fine! It doesn't help that I have big, wide feet (size 8s), so finding decent second hand shoes is almost impossible! And new ones right now are just out of my price range :(
By holly_irishdance Comments: 1152, member since Wed Jul 26, 2006
On Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:57 AM
Has anyone tried these halmor shoes?

www.celticdanceproducts.com . . .

I have read through all the comments and all the halmors which have been rated were the leather sole ones. My dancing teacher wants me to get these and I am wondering wether they are good or not.
Anyway Here is my two-cents on heavies!!

Inishfree--- good for beginners but if you are doing overtoes do NOT get these shoes!!!!

Belfast Panther--- DO NOT BUY THESE SHOES!! I had mine for approximately 6 months when I got up on stage for my heavy jig in my first time dancing in open when the tip broke!! it literally just came off when i dad a hop rally and a toe!! I was soooo mad!!! just my luck eh!!

Antonio Pachelli Superflexiw/ black suede sole liberty tip & concorde heel. They Are good enough. easy(ish) to break in but they aren't too loud. These are the ones I have at the moment but I REALLY would love some advice on the
HALMORS!!!
thanks a million

:) xxhollyxx :)
By Narbhflaith Comments: 33, member since Thu Jun 15, 2006
On Thu Feb 08, 2007 04:05 PM
Edited by Narbhflaith (161098) on 2007-02-08 16:06:31
I don't like Rutherfords, Halmor's nor Antonio Pacceli's...I don't find them to be that well constructed, nor do they provide the padding and support that I require in a shoe..

Tried Fays, and although I liked the slim fit of them, and they looked good on my feet, they pained me under the metarsal..very badly....

I love my Hullachan Pros Flexor and HF3 and my Corr's Champion Split sole hardshoe...very supportive, and cushioned (which I need because of my shin splints)beautifully crafted, fit awesome....and the sound is great! My doctor said I was not to wear anything that didn't have cushioning inside - he fully approved of the Hullachans and the Corr's and ordered me to never wear the other's again....I'm not saying they are bad, they just aren't for me.

Best wishes,
Narbhflaith
By eefers28 Comments: 331, member since Mon Sep 27, 2004
On Mon Mar 12, 2007 05:24 AM
Fays,fays,fays,fays,fays!i have had 2 pairs of fays in my dancing lifetime cos i have been the same shoe size since i was 11 and before i was 11 toework didnt even exst in dancing.one pair i had 3 years,i cried giving them away but they were dead.the pair i have now i have 8 yrs and have them re tippedand re tipped and re tipped.they are leather sole but i wouldn't advice buying leather for toe work.when i got these 8 yrs ago suede was just apearing and i was not sure,now i am convinced tho cos let me tell you leather sole anything are torture to break in.i cant speak highly enough about Fays and i think they are the most accomodating shoe people in the ID world. them and flanagans in galway.
By irishdanca4eva Comments: 98, member since Sun Apr 08, 2007
On Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:59 AM
I've had alot of trouble with Corr's and Antonio Pacelli. They are too flexible and the buckles always break off.

I prefer Fays, they have the perfect flexibility, strong buckles, and make loud sounds. I LOVE THEM!
By Miss_WittyGirl Comments: 302, member since Thu Apr 12, 2007
On Tue Apr 17, 2007 02:50 AM
I have Fay's Super Flexi Grey Suede Sole and they are great! And I've got them on my teacher recommendation. I'm new to ID so they are my first, but seriously before reading this post I didn't even know how many promblems one can have with heavies... Nearly no need to break them in, no blisters (maybe I'm just lucky:)), and still they provide a good support.

I admit that I do have strong calves and ankles and I'm able to do toe stands (even if it is not in any of my dances). That's the reason for suede sole.

Again: loved them!
hard shoe reviews
By claddagh2 Comments: 26, member since Wed Dec 27, 2006
On Wed May 09, 2007 10:44 AM
We love Halmor shoes. My daughter and I won't dance in anything else.
By GanAinmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 585, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Sep 30, 2007 01:14 PM
I have Hullachan heavies and they are great! They have a lower heel which does make them slightly harder to click, but they make a wonderful sound! The support is great and there is a lot of padding in blister prone spots so they are INCREDIBLY comfy.
Anyone have them too? I've not actually come across anyone with them yet!
www.hullachanpro.com . . .
The webpage above gives all the info on them!
C
By GanAinmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 585, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Sep 30, 2007 01:15 PM
I have Hullachan heavies and they are great! They have a lower heel which does make them slightly harder to click, but they make a wonderful sound! The support is great and there is a lot of padding in blister prone spots so they are INCREDIBLY comfy.
Anyone have them too? I've not actually come across anyone with them yet!
www.hullachanpro.com . . .
The webpage above gives all the info on them!
C
By dancamey29yay Comments: 342, member since Tue Feb 12, 2008
On Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:40 AM
People in our school just wear the shoes without the heels unless they can afford anything else. I find to be more comfeterable in shoes that are softer on the inside.
By GailM Comments: 1, member since Tue Feb 26, 2008
On Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:29 PM
Has anyone tried the KwickStep hard shoes? Someone had highly recomended them to me but I've never heard of them before? Any opinions?

If you've never seen them before checkout AAIDT.com under their store link
By natalie1990 Comments: 166, member since Thu Apr 10, 2008
On Thu Apr 10, 2008 02:28 PM
Edited by natalie1990 (194733) on 2008-04-10 14:30:05 spelling error
Im fairly new to irish dancing and Im having problems breaking in my hard shoes, Goleen featherflexi. They just wont move nicely with my foot. The look great on and have a lovely sound and feel nice and snug but i cant break them in. Also the tip is not very flat and Im finding it hard to do toe stands, which is annoying cos i do ballet and find pointe work dead easy. I think its beacuse the shoes aren't broken in well yet. Anybody have any tips?
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Tue Apr 22, 2008 01:53 PM
If you feel the tip is too rounded, I would take them to a cobbler and have him create a ridge to stand on. Other than that, breaking in leather-soled shoes is a long process. Be patient. Something that helped me was to a) wear them around the house whenever possible and b) hold on to the coffee table (or anything low to the ground like that -- chair seat, etc), and crouch down into kind of a squat with your ankles under your bum and your knees together, parallel to the ground. Then arch really high and even go into your toe stand, putting pressing on the shoe and bending them down. This helped me break in my old pair of Rutherfords about a year and a half ago and got me into toe stands. You can try working them with your hands, too, bending and twisting them.

Hope it helps! Good luck with your dancing. :)
By natalie1990 Comments: 166, member since Thu Apr 10, 2008
On Wed Apr 23, 2008 05:43 AM
thanks dancingtea for the great advice. since posting that comment i've been practicsing really hard and i am getting there. can balance for 30 seconds and move backwards so i feel that is progress! Going to try taking them to the cobblers as well. Thanks again!!
By treblechild17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 187, member since Sat Aug 16, 2008
On Sat Aug 16, 2008 05:39 PM
I didn't mind Antonio Pacelli super flexis but they broke in kindof oddly. Toe stands were a mess in them. Then I got the suede sole shoes. Those were HORRIBLE on my arches. Within about a month of dancing in them, my feet were already doing the dreaded "taco".

I currently have Rutherford Champion Shamrocks and I LOVE them! They've broken in beautifully and I love it that they don't have that darn ankle strap that always ends up either breaking or stretching so far you need to punch more holes in it. I also feel that the laces instead of the ankle strap helps hold my heel down in the shoe better.

Everyone has different feet so finding the right shoe can be tough. Luckily, I think I've found it... all though I'd really like to try out those Corrs Champion Split Soles out some time =)
By mairead032 Comments: 65, member since Sun Jun 15, 2008
On Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:19 AM
I actually got the Corrs Champion Split Sole earlier this year(2008) and for me, they are just right. I replaced a pair of superflexi AP's, which were lovely, but just too narrow for me. I'm an adult dancer and I never competed, so it was a bit of trial and error in getting the perfect shoe for me.

I have wide feet, and Corrs have wide sizes. I realize that some other manufacturers are now making wides, which I think is great.

Some friends of mine tried the Corrs Champs and didn't like the flexible metal shank, but I think it's great. I find the shoes easily flexible and am able to do toestands. The Corrs have a nice supple leather (that almost feels thick), has padding *everywhere* in the shoe (the tongue, the sides, the "roof" (?)). My feet never hurt after dancing in them.

Anyway, that's my story. I'm sure everyone has a favorite shoe or one that works just perfectly for them! :)

Meg
By thebrownbardmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 44, member since Wed Aug 30, 2006
On Tue Mar 24, 2009 03:55 PM
Shoe width question!!

Do you think it's better for the ball of your foot to be wider than the sole of the shoe, or should your foot be the same width as the sole? I'm a guy and have always had regular width shoes and the balls of my big and little toe have always stretched out the upper leather and stuck out a little bit over the sole one either side.

This seems like this would be wrong, but I know the sole on the ghillies are smaller than the foot and no one seems to think that's wrong. I get mild pain in my feet and wonder if this is the problem. Should I go up a wide size? I don't want the shoe to stretch and be all wobbly though. hmmm.
By moonlightrosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 178, member since Tue May 05, 2009
On Fri May 29, 2009 07:52 PM
Currently I'm wearing RedHead Advanced Beginner Hard Shoes and I can easily sum them up into 3 words...kill. me. now.

The heels are small so I can heel click about 40% of the time. Toe stands are impossible. Don't even bother to try them. The soles are so thick and I've had my shoes for 7 months and they still aren't broken in at all. The tips are chipping and the top fiberglass is also coming off the shoe. I only bought these because I was a beginner at hardshoe, but even if you are new to hardshoe DO NOT buy these.

Based off of these reviews I think I'm going to try Fays. Hopefully I'll get my paycheck soon so I can get these shoes and break them in for my next feis in July.
By reeldancers Comments: 32, member since Tue Apr 22, 2008
On Sat Jun 27, 2009 03:20 PM
Fays super flexis are the best! the minute I first put them on, I could do toe stands! I highly recommend them!
Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch