Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Hard Shoe Reviews
By tippytippy123 Comments: 378, member since Wed Feb 27, 2008
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 06:25 AM
I just got Rutherford's leather tan soles.
They're a nice shoe, very suppportive. Great heels, make clicks easier. The tip is very loud !

Then only bad thing is that it is a leather tan sole than requires soooooo much time to break in (but it is so supportive!).

Also, the shoe is very very heavy... Heavier than Fays or Pacellis which I've had.

My favourite shoes ever so far were Fay's Grey soles. Amazing ! great sound, very comfy, very supportive, make nice feet.. I definitely recommend them.
By rach28 Comments: 64, member since Sun Feb 20, 2005
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 PM
I had corrs split sole and they lasted me for a long time and i LOVED them. the sound was great, they broke in well and they were so comfy.
now i have fays suede sole... i dont like them as much yet but ill see how they are when theyre all broken in.
By wralwaysdancing Comments: 31, member since Sat Sep 26, 2009
On Sat Sep 26, 2009 03:11 PM
Fays make awesome sound!!!!!
By IrishEmmaPremium member Comments: 15, member since Fri Mar 20, 2009
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 02:37 PM
I love my Fays. They fit great...didn't take long to wear in...and the sound is great! :)
By treblemakermama Comments: 189, member since Thu Mar 26, 2009
On Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:29 PM
My first pair of Corr's split soles were fabulous. Didn't overbreak, were magical. Well, they're currently about 5 years old and I can still wear them... as long as I duct-tape the tips really well (they are coming unglued) and also around the base of the tip as because now they are INDEED overbroken haha). But - my new ones (see below) are so horrible I still wear the old ones for practice.

The next pair I bought? Horrible. The left foot wont break in across the vamp at all, the right foot is overbroken across the top. The back of foot/heel is too hard, and they are just... I strongly despise them.

Once I can justify buying a new pair, I'll be going back to Rutherford stitched tan leather soles and breaking them in the old fashioned way. At least then I know they'll last longer and break in the RIGHT way.

I do have a question, though. Someone brought me a flyer for Redhead Industries and wants to know why I don't recommend them. Well, aside from never having heard of them - they look like Danskin shoes with tips added. Has anyone heard of them? They are pretty durn inexpensive.
By Marie77 Comments: 11, member since Wed Aug 18, 2010
On Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:54 AM
I have narrow feet and have yet to find the perfect hardshoe.

Fay's are too wide in the instep for me - they overlap when I tie them but are good in the toe in terms of width. Fays don't come in narrows but people say their regular shoe runs narrower than other brands which is probably true. I started with the grey suede sole which is stiffer than the black suede. However, those shoes were too small and gave me mega blisters so I moved onto the black in a larger size. The problem with the black is that I already have a high arch (did ballet pointe when I was younger) and it was way too soft for toe stands for my foot. Basically, my foot would fold in half. The other downside of Fays is that the tips crumble after light use. Their fiberglass tips break up easier than Rutherfords - the sound of Fays tips are great but they don't last. The other problem with Fays is that their heels are narrower than Rutherfords making for harder clicks. I also found them totally lacking in cushioning resulting in serious ball of the foot pain even with an ouch pouch.

I went to a Rutherford narrow after my Fays experience and chose a leather sole. The leather sole was the right way to go for support and I love the Rutherford heels. If you have strong feet they aren't hard to break in at all. The heels are by far the loudest and easiest to click. I'm not thrilled with the fit of the shoe though, because it is too narrow in the toe box and quite uncomfortable as a result. The narrow toe area causes my foot to extend beyond the sole which is causing the tip to wear unevenly, and making it hard to do front of toe to back of heel clicks (because my toes hang over the edge on the side and get in the way). I've tried the Rutherford regular uppers but they are way too wide. Rutherford tips are solid. I highly recommend. More cushioning for the ball of the foot is needed though.

I've emailed Corr's regarding purchasing an upper only with the leather bottom and then having them tipped and heeled by Rutherford. I tried on a classmate's Corrs and they are really comfortable in terms of cushioning and I may be able to get away with a regular instead of a narrow - I'm not sure yet. Will keep everyone posted... In the meanwhile - if anyone has ideas on a great upper for narrow feet with a larger toe box and cushioning I'd love to know about it!!!
By Marie77 Comments: 11, member since Wed Aug 18, 2010
On Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:54 PM
Update:
Got the Corr's and love the sound. They are VERY loud but took some getting used to for toe stands because of the shank. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the heaviness of the shoes. I kicked myself quite a lot on the ankles but seem to be getting the hang of it. As far as the fit goes - it's perfect.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Fri Jan 28, 2011 01:22 PM
I had the Corrs Champions with the split leather sole. They were comfy but felt large around the toe area. The noise was great and heel clicks were easy. The shoes were heavy and the leather gave so much that within the time I've had them (under a year) they are now too big with 2 pairs of socks.

I would recommend them for people with wider feet and those who struggle getting onto their toes.

I have just invested in Pacelli Ultra Flexis - these are a lot narrower and the size guide told me to get a 5.5 - they are extremely tight so I am hoping that they will stretch. I've worn them once and can nearly get on my toes.
By newdresswanted Comments: 73, member since Fri Dec 17, 2010
On Sun Mar 13, 2011 06:46 AM
I wear Rutherford's and didn't have much trouble breaking them in. I had to break them in enough to perform in them in 5 days and it wasn't a problem.

The only problem I did have was getting blisters on the back of my heel (really bad on one foot cos I have very little sensation and don't know that it's blistered till there is little skin left) - but i inserted gel heel grips on the back and haven't had a problem since, although it does make them a little tight
By iDancerForever Comments: 19, member since Wed Jul 13, 2011
On Tue Aug 16, 2011 03:35 PM
Fays Shoes are the best hard shoes you can get!!! There super easy to get on your toes there loud and they really hit the floor when your trebling xxx
By capnmags Comments: 31, member since Fri Jan 06, 2006
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 07:46 AM
Hi! I'm looking for new hard shoes, I have had Rutherfords in the past, but I think I want to try something different. I have very narrow heels and often have trouble finding shoes (even regular street shoes) that fit properly. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
By MammaPeach Comments: 91, member since Sun Jan 15, 2012
On Mon Jan 16, 2012 07:09 PM
I just got a pair of Antonio Pacelli Nova Hard Shoes with Liberty Tips and Concorde Heels, and they are by far my most favourite pair of hard shoes. The liberty tips are really loud and clear and i haven't had 2 do much breaking of them except for wearing them round the house.

I have had a pair of Antonio Pacelli Super Flexi with Concorde tips and heels previously and I liked them as the tops were loud and i was able to do my front clicks easily, but hated the fact that the black dye would rub off on my poodle socks and I got them half a size to big for my feet by mistake and they took over 2 months 2 break in properly.

I now keep my super flexi shoes for displays and my novas for class and comps.
By ArdNaGreine Comments: 8, member since Sat Apr 07, 2012
On Sat Apr 07, 2012 03:33 PM
I've had 4 pairs of hardshoes so far so:

I've had Antonio Pacelli (I'm not sure what specific kind) and I hated them. They were very quiet and the back stretched out over the heel and became too big (Big shoes are extremely difficult to dance in. I wouldn't recomend them unless you buy them a size or two too small or you don't mind quiet shoes.

Fays were great. I have narrow feet so they were perfect. They were easy to break in and had great sound (especially the heel tips when you're doing clicks). I abused the heck outta them and they lasted about a year.
The only bad thing about them is that if you have "strong feet" like me, they can become "over broken in". And I sadly had to retire mine because they split right in front of the seam where the toe ends and the laces start (hard to explain). Apparently I'm not the only person who experienced this.

I've had 2 pairs of rutherfords. Both were leather sole. Not easy to break in (I've been trying to break my current pair in for the last 5 months, still trying) but once you do it's very difficult to "over break them in". I'm not sure about the flexi-soles though.
The only draw back is that they're made for wider feet but if you tape them to your foot you can easily avoid that problem.

I know a lot of people with rutherfords who absolutely love them. And I see a lot of people love fays.

Hope this helped.
By cat538 Comments: 1, member since Mon Apr 09, 2012
On Mon Apr 09, 2012 06:19 PM
Hello there my hard shoes are splitting at the tip:( I was wondering if anyone had dealt with this before and if you have what did you do to fix it? I have looked in to possibly sending them in to get a new tip but I was hoping there was a simpler less expensive solution. Or if that's the only way, who does the best repairs?? Any ideas are greatly appreciated:)
By IrishDancer1495 Comments: 42, member since Sat Apr 03, 2010
On Tue Apr 17, 2012 01:44 PM
Am I the only person on this planet that would never buy Fay's?
My friend has a pair of Fay's that she got secondhand after one use. ONE USE. At a feis a few months later, she was buckling her shoe and the strap literally snapped in half and came off in her hand. She went to Pat Fay, who luckily was at that particular feis, and he fixed it for free. However, a week later, we were putting on our shoes at practice and the strap snapped in half again, barely a week old. She went through several cycles of shipping both shoes back and forth to Ireland before she got really tired of it all and just had a different strap put on by the local cobbler. She also noticed upon examination of the shoes directly after she purchased them that the shoes were sunken in and her heel hung out over the back of it. She didn't think it was a big deal until she realized that she couldn't click because of it. She brought it to Pat Fay, who wrote it off as over stretching, but we don't exactly believe that because the shoes were one use away from being brand-new. There's no way that after one use the person she bought it from (who we know personally, so there's no business of them being sold as once-used when they were really very old) could have stretched the shoe out over the heel. Finally, last week, one of my other friends, who has Fay's, had HER strap fall off in her hand. After these personal experiences, I would never buy Fay's.
Currently, I have Rutherford's, which I like. They broke in relatively fast and I could go on toe soon after buying them. The heels and tips are very loud and I love the sound that my clicks make. However, they have continued to give me blisters the entire time I've had them (almost a full year). If there were a few less options when it comes to heavy shoes, I would definitely stick with Rutherfords.
However, considering that there are new brands coming out all the time, I plan on going to Worlds in Boston next year (I live in the New England Region) and trying on some new brands, after doing some research I think I'll end up with either Ryan and O'Donnell or Iconic Black (I HATE the white strap trend).
By inspiringID Comments: 63, member since Fri Jun 01, 2012
On Sun Jun 03, 2012 05:00 AM
My shoes are pacelli's. I have had them for at least 5 years and they have only just worn out, i can't remember them being hard to wear in, but from these reviews i think i am going to get a pair of Fay's and see how they are!
On Sat Jun 09, 2012 06:47 AM
From all the reviews on here i think I am going to go and buy a pair of fays! Thanks!
On Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:44 AM
Update - just bought a pair of Rutherfords instead of Fays...will have to start wearing them in as soon as they arrive!
By kimmierosePremium member Comments: 66, member since Sun Jan 15, 2012
On Sat Sep 01, 2012 04:43 AM
I have read through all of the posts,I am in need of new pair of shoes per TC. I have a very wide foot, so Fay's don't work because they are too narrow. I tried Corr's and they didn't fit or feel right. We sent them back 3 times trying for the right fit so gave up on those. I love the way Rutherford's fit, but my heel collapsed on my shoes that were only 4 months old and they refused to replace or fix the shoe. They were really hard breaking in and I am not looking forward to having to redo that again. My TC has me in a used pair of Rutherford's with the Tan bottoms, but makes it hard to do an arch in my foot. I am 12 and just moving into pre-lim. My TC says that the Tan bottoms are better support, even for the Champion level. They are really stiff though. Any suggestions??
By IvyDancer Comments: 79, member since Tue Sep 20, 2011
On Sat Sep 01, 2012 02:22 PM
I have an extremely wide foot, like it's so wide I have trouble finding normal shoes that fit me. And I wear a wide in fays. I'm a size 6 street shoe and I am currently wearing Fays size 4 wides. I have the grey suede.

Question--what is the difference between the grey suede and the black?
By kimmierosePremium member Comments: 66, member since Sun Jan 15, 2012
On Sat Sep 01, 2012 07:08 PM
I tried the Fay's wide and they were not wide enough. They pinched my toes. I have super wide feet too. The difference between the gray and black bottoms is flexibility. I had the Fay's rep at a feis tell me to avoid the gray bottoms unless your a high level Champion. She said its because the light color soles make it easier for a judge to see your mistakes when you have high kicks or clicks. Not sure how true that is, but it kinda makes sense. Rutherford fits me well, but my last pair broke within 4 months and they refused to fix them. Plus they are a pain to break in. Buying shoes is frustrating !!!! I'm almost a Pre-lim and my TC thinks I should get the tan leather bottoms. But they r super stiff. I think a super- flexi sole is better. Any advice on that??
By kingpinrimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 21, member since Fri Dec 25, 2009
On Fri Sep 28, 2012 09:47 PM
My DD has wide feet and was always trying to jam her foot into Fays (preferred TC shoe brand). We were then encouraged to try the Rutherford superflexi in wide. She finally found a brand that was comfortable to dance in and didn't cause too many blisters!
By MagicFeet Comments: 8, member since Wed Sep 21, 2011
On Sun Sep 30, 2012 04:24 PM
I started in inishfree, for the beginning ok, but I had to look for another one.

Then I got a Fays, I don't know, wich kind of and they killed my feet, I have wide feet, so it hurts every t ime I worn them.

At the Moment I have a pacelli nova. It's easy to break in, but not so supportive, but I like the liberty tips and concorde heels, because the sound is very good and its easy to make clicks.
I have worn them for 4 years, and now they are going to leave me,
By blondehornpiper Comments: 10, member since Tue Nov 06, 2012
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 03:30 PM
I have fays and i love them!!!!
I have the super flexi black sole one.
They can be a little tough to break in, but they look really nice on your feet!
By reeldiva Comments: 22, member since Sun Sep 25, 2011
On Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:17 AM
Just bought the new Ryan and O'Donnell hard shoes and love them!!!! Needs very little break in, only for toe stands. Best of all no blisters!! I used to be a fan of fays and thought I would never change.
Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch