Forum: General / Ballroom / Tango

tango types
By Joni
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:41 PM

How many types of tango are there? What distinguishes Argentine tango from other tangos that are taught in the US?

5 Replies to tango types

re: tango types
By mlocik
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 03:08 AM
Even in latin america every school teaches tango in a slightly different way
re: tango types (karma: 1)
By Ballroomboy
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 07:14 AM
Hiya,

"The Tango emerged,in the closing years of the Nineteenth Century, fromm the squalid immigrant ghettos of Buenos Aires. As a song, the Tango was the consolation of man in music. But the song soon Demanded further Expression and the Dance was born."

-Paul Bottomer, The Technique of Argentine Tango

Nowadays there are infinite variations of the original Argentine Tango being taught in studios all around the world, most however, can be split into one of 2 types:

-Modern (Ballroom) Tango
-Argentine Tango

Argentine tango is the Original Tango, it is sexy and seductive and has the flavour of the brothels and bars of 19th century Buenos Aires.

Modern Tango is the adaption of the Tango that is used to day in Standard Ballroom Dancing, the main differences between this and the Argentine tango are that the modern Tango is Progressive (ie. it moves around the floor) and that the sensuous, sexuality of the Argentine Tango is replaced by a stacatto, agressive action which robs the Tango of much of its original character but was originally done to make it more socially acceptable! (teehee)

Both are extremely enjoyable dances with their own distinct character and I personally love to dance both!!

Hope this was of some help to you?
By xDancing_Divax
On Wed Mar 01, 2006 02:25 PM
Ballroom boy is so clever he know everything!! We should have a link devoted to him or something called as Ballroomboy!! LOL!
By Ballroomboy
On Wed Mar 01, 2006 05:17 PM
Coo! i feel special now! i do try and help where I can tho'!!
By Breemica
On Sat Apr 08, 2006 04:16 PM
The differance between the 2 tangos is where the body connects. Argentine- the bodies connect with the woman's bosom and face to the man's. Regular tango- the bodies connect at the woman's pelvis to the man's hip, and thighs are touching.

ReplySendWatch