How dancing saved my life
By TwinkleToez207
On 12/28/2005 09:13:56
This does not necessarily apply to dance, but in my case, it was. I believe that every person needs to have a passion in life- mine is dance, and it helped to save my life.
I had a battle with eating disorders during high school. It was a really long and hard process to get over it. I got to the point that if I continued to dance, I could die, my heart couldn't take it. My mom took me out of dance and said I could go back only when I gained some weight, started eating, and got healthy again. This devastated me. Dance is what I live for, how could she take that away from me? I didn't really have the energy to do it, but I was still depressed that it wasnt there. Now, it was very hard to imagine myself gaining weight, considering I already was unhappy with the way I looked- but there was this voice in my head that said, stay as you are, feeling like garbage, or eat a little and go back to dance. I debated this over and over. It did take some time for me to do this, but with the help of my psychiatrist, I began to slowly start to eat because I HAD to dance. There were slips, of course, I didn't just get better right away, but the fact that I had dance in the back of my head, helped me to not slip completely into this terrible disorder. Some people, with a passion or not, might not get as lucky as I did, but I still thank God that I found dance every day... Had that voice not been there, I wouldn't have had a real reason to get better, as I was selfish and didn't care how other people felt. I am healthy now, and have been for about a year and a half so I can talk about this openly with people. Please girls and guys, stay healthy and keep dancing.
re: How dancing saved my life
By ballet_dancer02
On 12/28/2005 21:31:57
glad you overcame such difficulty. It's easier to gain weight than lose.... I think I need to lose, seriously....
By fool4dance
On 12/29/2005 11:59:23
What an inspiration! Please share your story with as many young girls as you can. You are not alone in your battle.
By dancergirl9
On 01/09/2006 11:07:42
That's a story everyone should know about, that must have taken a lot of discipline and work! Congratulations with such an accomplishment! :)
By OSDAStarlett
On 01/12/2006 06:35:09
i'm so happy you overcame those difficult times in your life.
By ballerina_manque
On 01/12/2006 16:10:46
wow that makes me happy and proud. dance would have been a great help but it would've taken lots of strength and character to get through such a terrible time.
congrats
By Shimmer22
On 01/12/2006 17:30:08
Thank you so much for sharing that. I, too, believe that everyone needs a passion in life. It gives you a sense of purpose.

About two years ago I began suffering from anorexia. I would dream of food, but hardly eat a thing for fear of gaining the littlest bit of weight. I felt fat and became very self-conscience. In reality, however, I was underweight and losing weight ata rapid pace. My mom and most of my friends noticed but didn't really take much note of it because I've always been pretty little. (One of my friends knew, though. Just about every time I saw her and we would sit down to eat and I'd have like a cracker for lunch or nothing at all, she'd ask me if I had something wrong.) Luckily my ED never became as extreme as it might have gotten thanks to a post here on DDN. Someone shared their battle with anorexia, and it really opened my eyes. Hopefully more people will reveal their silent struggles and the pain it caused, and more people can be saved from this horrible disease, whether it be by dance or not. We can all make a difference. My fav saying is "The power of one".

Thank you again for sharing that. :] Sorry if my story became rambling. [tongue]
By Mila1
On 01/15/2006 22:49:53
hey! Congrats! I totally understand u! I´ve been through similar stuff, and I know what it is all about! But just remember, we´ll get better everyday! keep on dancing!
By smileywoman
On 02/14/2006 17:47:10
Thank you for sharing. There are too many people with eating disorders that don't get help, or don't know how to ask for help! When a person steps forward and shares their experiences they educate the public. They also reach out to those who quietly suffer, need help, and need that one push to get help. Sharing your story could help save other lives too. Good for you! I'm proud of you finding something that gives you such strength and happiness.

Blessings!

Maria - smileywoman
By smileywoman
On 02/14/2006 18:02:20
Thank you for sharing. There are too many people with eating disorders that don't get help, or don't know how to ask for help! When a person steps forward and shares their experiences they educate the public. They also reach out to those who quietly suffer, need help, and need that one push to get help. Sharing your story could help save other lives too. Good for you! I'm proud of you finding something that gives you such strength and happiness.

Blessings!

Maria - smileywoman

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 01/26/2022 22:46:30