Popular Owners

Question for Studios with in house stores by algilberttda
If you have a store in your studio, you know how hard it is to find wholesalers willing to sell to...

Forum: Modern / Praise/Liturgical

Praise/Liturgical
Tips for Starting a Dance Ministry (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Lakita_Paneh Comments: 11, member since Fri Dec 30, 2005
On Sat Dec 31, 2005 06:38 PM

Hello,

I wrote an article about starting a dance ministry...I hope it will benefit those in this community.

First and foremost --- pray!
Seek God for wisdom, strength and encouragement regarding this endeavor. Write down a plan / proposal -- it shows leadership that you are serious and it helps keep you on track. Develop a vision and mission statement -- because where there is no vision the people perish.

Ask yourself why the church doesn't already have a dance ministry.
Is it because perhaps it is more traditional and doesn't see dance as a form of worship, could it be a former dance leader moved on and no one was able to pick it up, or could it be you belong to a younger, new church that is still growing in different areas of ministry.

Let's look at the first reason - some churches don't see praise dance as a form of worship. This is the hardest obstacle to overcome. Talk to your leadership and see how they feel. If you can get pastoral support you may be able to slowly educate the congregation on worship in dance. Show them dance in the scripture...not your own opinion. If your church leadership is not for having a dance ministry DO NOT operate in disobedience. Pray and ask God to open the door and use that time to train and gird up your loins and learn all you can about worship in dance.

Now that you've got your mission / vision statement and permission to go ahead from church leadership ---- WHAT's next??

Advertise the new ministry through whatever media is available at your church (bulletins, projectors). Include practice times, ages welcome, what to bring / wear (you should have covered this already in your proposal!)

Depending on your level of experience you may want to consider linking up with established dance ministries, attend workshops and conferences regarding dance. Iron sharpeneth iron!

Be prepared to invest in your calling! Books, videos, workshops and whatever else will better equip you to do what God has called you to do.

Practice Time!
Be sure to make room for God in your practice times. Always open with prayer! I also suggest scripture and devotion.

New ministries are often overused or not called on at all. While the former is exciting --- it is not plausible to be ready to minister in dance at every service as a new ministry....be prepared to turn down oppurtunities. You don't want to rush and 'throw something together' for the sake of being on program. On the other hand, if you are never called on it can be discouraging....I say BE ENCOURAGED! Your time will come. Use the extra time to build up your dance vocabulary and song bank.

Remember, its all about God....keep him at the forefront and seek Him every step of the way! A dance ministry is not something to be entered into lightly...too many times people start off well intentioned because it "looks cool and innovative"...but it should be taken seriously. Leaders and dance ministers need to have a prayer life and a relationship with the Lord. If you have no relationship with the Lord you are just excercising!

Lakita
Paneh Praise and Mime Ministry

5 Replies to Tips for Starting a Dance Ministry

well said Lakita! en>fr fr>en
By prvbs31wmn Comments: 3, member since Thu Jan 12, 2006
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 02:44 PM
Hi, my name is Natalie. i am also currently in a dance ministry at my church. Do you have a website or any dance material for viewing? i would be interested.

Thanks
re: Tips for Starting a Dance Ministry en>fr fr>en
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 02:56 PM
Yes, it is panehpraise.com

You can get my email address from the site and contact me about the other information.

Lakita
Paneh Praise & Mime Ministry
By firecrystal Comments: 20, member since Sun Jan 22, 2006
On Mon Jan 23, 2006 04:46 AM
hi there... thats great!!!..it just affirm what we are doing in the dance team... we are heading the same direction....thank you very much!!!
By darkeyed_angelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 577, member since Fri Jan 23, 2004
On Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:24 PM
my youth ministry in church wants to start one, the real sort, and not a dance ministry just for the youth. I've been blessedly handpicked for the task of starting one with the help of others. or at least try to. I've got close to none experience in liturgical and worship dance. The speaker who came wasn't very prepared, and it was her first workshop. I wouldn't mind if you could point me in the direction of a website that has tips and videos of real liturgical dances. that'd be great. thanks! and bless you.

MeL~
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 08:25 AM
Hi Mel,

Go to my website in my post above --- from my website you'll find my email address under contacts --- please mail me directly --- I'll be more than happy to help you out :)

ReplySendWatch