Forum: General / Tell dance.net

All you ever wanted, or needed, to know about Karma (karma: 30)
By tutulessmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 08:49 AM
Made sticky by calypso (11968) on 2006-01-02 09:51:06
Made unsticky by pharmadancer (87219) on 2007-06-04 12:11:39

Lately there has been an increasing number of posts dealing with all types of questions concerning karma. Ranging from a confused "What is karma?" over "Why can't I give karma on certain boards?" to a more complicated "Disappearing karma??". So here is a place where hopefully your questions will be answered or where you can at least feel free to ask them!

So, first of all, let's start with the most obvious question:

What is karma?

Dating back to Eastern religions, karma, in its original meaning, basically sums up the principle of "You get what you give". Good deeds have a positive influence on your life and it's the opposite way with crimes and the likes which you may have done. The reason behind karma is to take responsibility of your life by directly being able to influence your luck by your personal actions.
Here on dance.net, everything is of course less spiritual and you by no means need to believe in the Hindu religion to be a member of this community, but the basic idea behind karma remains.
Karma is something like a small reward for inspirational, helpful, or very funny posts. It gives members a way of expressing their gratitude of kinds for certain posts and shows the original poster how much people appreciate his or her posts.
The symbol for karma here on dance.net is a moon, varying in shade depending on the amount of karma the member in question has.

That being established, the next question is of course:

How do I give karma?

You may award karma to other members once you are a full member and have posted at least 50 comments.
You do so by clicking the "Rate +" button in the lower right hand corner of a post or reply. It's right next to other useful buttons such as the Reply, Mod, and Private Message (PM) button.
You can give one karma per post. You cannot give karma to your own posts, by the way! (In for a laugh? Check out dance.net's way for kindly telling you so by giving it a try!)
Note: When you give karma to a post, the post is automatically added to your list of favourite posts which you can view in your profile.

So when exactly do I award karma to a post?

Karma is meant to be given for very well thought out posts which are either very helpful, inspirational, or humourous.
Karma is NOT meant to be given out simply because the reply in question was written by a very good friend of yours. Giving out karma for apparently no reason at all is called karma abuse and highly frowned upon here at dance.net. If done repeatedly, it can even lead to a ban from this website, so better be careful!

Now this is all nice and good, but:

Why can't I give karma on certain boards such as Stretching Photos Members?

We talked about karma abuse just a few lines up and this also entails giving out karma for posting a pretty picture. I'm sure you are aware that there is a great difference between thinking up a whole text and simply posting a pretty picture. Therefore, the rule was established that no karma at all was allowed for pictures.
Since we have several boards on this website for pictures alone, karma usage was banned from these boards entirely. Check out the stickies in the respective boards!
Now what to do if there is an extremely helpful post simply accompanied by a picture in these boards? While you may not be able to show your appreciations by giving the original poster a nice dose of karma, the author in questions will certainly be pleased about hearing from you in a nice reply to the post!

Dance.net is a rather close knit community and as such has developed some of its very own slang which might lead to questions such as:

What is karma farming?

Now this, of course, has nothing to do with old McDonald and his farm, but rather describes people who are really desperate to get more karma.
Karma is meant as a motivation to post helpful posts, but it is certainly not meant to be the only motivation to do so. However, there are some members on this site who do this anyway. Nonetheless, it is, just like karma abuse, highly frowned upon on this website!
Karma farming could include an immense amount of posts, sometimes even copy-pasted from other online sources, that appears to be helpful at first and invites other members to regularly award the member with karma. Sometimes this is even accompanied by requests to give karma to the original poster.
Please note that there is a difference between members who simply post a lot of helpful posts and true karma farmers. It might be hard to distinguish these two types at times, but first and foremost, it is important that YOU do not turn into a karma farmer ;)

How can I see the amount of karma someone has?

There are two ways to achieve this.
You might have noticed the moon icons next to some members' names. You can get a first, approximate guess from merely looking at the look of the moon. You might have noticed that they differ slightly.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karma1.gif' is awarded once a member has 5 karma.
This moon stays the same until the member has 25 karma and this moon Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karma2.gif' is awarded.
The next step is 50 karma for this moon Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karma3.gif' .
Another 50 karma later, for at least 100 karma, is the clear moon Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karma4.gif' .
And the currently last moon to get is the rotating 500 karma and more moon: Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karmarotate.gif'
To get the exact number of karma that a member has, you can simply move your cursor over the moon and a text will appear telling you the number.
Or you can go to the member's profile where you can find a section telling you how much karma this member has.
Tip: Clicking on the moon will show you the posts that the member in question has gotten karma for.

What does the number of karma say about a member?

Now this is a tricky question. In general, one could say: the more karma, the more respected is the member.
However, an amount of say, 800 karma, might seem very impressive at first, but once you see that the member has been on this site for 4 years and posted a good 5000 comments, this doesn't seem all that impressive anymore.
However a new member can have gathered a good 50 karma after three weeks and a mere 80 comments.
Also, a member can have earned 100 karma for 100 different posts or 100 karma for maybe 2 or 3 exceptionally appreciated posts.
So you see, there is no real rule of thumb. At the end of the day, you depend on your own skills at evaluating another member's character and karma won't really help you with that.

How much daily karma can I give out?

Every member starts out with a daily amount of 6 karma to give out. However, as a member receives karma with time, his or her amount of karma to give out each day increases as well.
For each hundred karma that you are awarded by other members, you get one more daily karma to give out yourself.
A member with 0 karma would therefore be able to give out 6 karma, one with 99 karma would be able to give out the same amount as well.
A member with 354 karma would be able to give out 9 karma each day and one with 1050 karma would be able to give out 16 karma.
Getting more karma to give out each day by posting more comments is nothing but a mere myth. Neither does giving out your whole amount each day raise your daily karma.
Note: You do not need to give out all your karma each day. Please consider a post's worthiness before giving it karma simply because you are intent on giving out as much karma as possible.

Now this is all nice and positive, but what if there is a really rude or, excuse me, exceedingly stupid post?

Is there something like negative karma that I can give out to express my displeasure?

There actually used to be the concept of negative karma a few years back. However, as you probably have noticed already, dance.net strives to be a very positive community, supporting its members and wanting to create new friendships. A negative tool like this would rather oppose that concept, don't you agree?
Negative karma turned out to be abused rather easily. People were rated down, because other members didn't like them or simply wanted to be mean. So the whole thing got abolished quite some time ago.
Nowadays, you can express displeasure over a post by writing a reply or PM stating your feelings. However, always remember to stay polite and respectful of your fellow members. If a post violates the rules of dance.net, please use the mod button.

How can I see who gave me karma?

By clicking on your moon icon or looking in your profile, you can view the posts that other members have rated up. Now you can click on each post and in most cases there will appear a link next to the title saying something along the lines of (karma x/y). An example would be (karma 5/5). The number tells you how many karma have been awarded to this post (in our example: 5). Sometimes this number might not be accurate since the server hasn't updated yet.
When you click on that link, you can see which member has given you karma and when.
If the post is listed under your rated up posts, but there is no link, then again, this is due to the server not having updated. If you still want to know, you need to get the post ID. This is done the following way: I'm just taking a random reply of mine here to illustrate this. You click on a reply so that you have only the reply and not the entire post (unless you want the karma number of an original post, of course).
www.dance.net . . . Now in your browser's bar at the top and in the link, you can see the post id. 4483196 in this case.
Then you take the following link: www.dance.net . . .= and add the post ID. Which would make www.dance.net . . . in this case. As you can see, that particular reply has gotten no karma so far.

Why does it say "Reason" and a blank space underneath when I look at who has given me karma?

Rumour has it, that a feature is going to be installed some time in the future where you have to give a reason in order to award a certain post karma. This is supposed to help with karma abuse.
Since that feature hasn't been installed yet, there is just a blank space.

Why do I suddenly have less karma than before?

Remember the thing about karma abuse? If you suddenly have less karma than you did before, then chances are, one of dance.net's moderators saw that someone gave you karma without a proper reason. Since the moderators are trying to make this as fair as possible for everyone, they simply pull the falsely awarded karma. So, suddenly having less karma is nothing to worry about.

Is there a way of seeing who has the most karma on dance.net?

Yes, there is the top members list which can be found in the blue bar under the Online tab. Here is the direct link: www.dance.net . . .
You'll find the 100 members with the most karma ranked by amount, as well as the 100 members with the most comments.
As you can see, Theresa is currently the member with the highest amount of karma.

And can I see which comments have the most karma, as well?

This can be seen in Top Comments, under the same tab. Here is the link: www.dance.net . . .
Calypso's inspirational You are a dancer! has the most karma awarded at the moment.

This is all that I can think of at the moment. I hope your questions have been answered and if not, feel free to reply to this thread and asking them!

Love,
Tomato

11 Replies to All you ever wanted, or needed, to know about Karma

re: All you ever wanted, or needed, to know about Karma
By Firthymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 08:59 AM
Sticky...sticky!

Hannah x

p.s. I would rate you but i don't know how to, could someone tell me how to? ;)
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 09:02 AM
Removed by pharmadancer (87219) on 2006-01-04 17:00:23 Karma farming is against the rules - please do not do that again
^ www.dance.net . . . Look how nice I am ;)
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 07:25 PM
If a person has 50 posts, but no karma, he/she is only allowed to give out 5 karma per day. Once that person receives even one karma, the daily allowance is increased to 6.

:D

~fairy
By Jamie_Steptoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 04, 2006 04:41 PM
Hey great post it helped me alot!!!
Thanks Jamie>.
By jazzstar87member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:18 PM
I'm currently debating whether or not I should attempt to give myself karma for something, just to see what would happen. Wanna give me a hint, or shall I merely suffer in the dark pits of DDN curiosity?
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 05:02 AM
jazzstar, just try it. Don´t worry, nothing bad will happen to you. No Mod will bite you, no other member will kill you (well, might be that I would do it, so it´s better you do it when I don´t watch you!). It´s only a bit funny. :D

Kathy
By imadanseurPremium member
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 05:16 AM
Hey don't be so sure. We do bite every now and then.
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 09:45 AM
^Love bites ;)
re: All you ever wanted, or needed, to know about Karma (karma: 1)
By jazzstar87member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:30 PM
So I tried to give myself karma, and the error message called me a naughty person! Whoo-hoo...I'm such a rebel.
By lilfishy
On Tue Jan 10, 2006 01:21 PM
I gave you karma!lol!Reason - a very informative post that was useful and interesting!(ooh long words!lol!)
xx
By sinanozelmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 20, 2006 01:38 PM
I have a suggestion. Now, this might just be the engineer inside me trying to measure and audit everything, or this might actually be useful.

What does the number of karma say about a member?

Now this is a tricky question. In general, one could say: the more karma, the more respected is the member.
However, an amount of say, 800 karma, might seem very impressive at first, but once you see that the member has been on this site for 4 years and posted a good 5000 comments, this doesn't seem all that impressive anymore.
However a new member can have gathered a good 50 karma after three weeks and a mere 80 comments.
Also, a member can have earned 100 karma for 100 different posts or 100 karma for maybe 2 or 3 exceptionally appreciated posts.
So you see, there is no real rule of thumb. At the end of the day, you depend on your own skills at evaluating another member's character and karma won't really help you with that.

In tutuless' helpful post explaining karma, she says that a lot of karma might mean that the user has spent a lot of time on DDN, or that actually a lot of people are enjoys the user's comments - so the karma is an indication of the time the user has been registered times the time she spends on DDN, times how much other users enjoys her posts.

So, here is the suggestion: How about announcing for each user anoher indication, karma divided by the time period she has been registered to DDN? Or, the karma she has received in the last 6 months. This might be a better indication of how much the user is being respected.

Note that I am not suggesting that this should replace karma, I am suggesting this as an additional figure.

Anybody else has an opinion?

ReplySendWatch