Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

How to dress a young skater
By PoorDanceMom
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:02 AM

I have a four year old who is taking Basic 1-8 lessons and has been beging me for a skating dress like the "big girls" wear. How do I dress her in order to keep her warm? She doesn't want to wear a jacket to cover up her pretty dress.

5 Replies to How to dress a young skater

re: How to dress a young skater
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 01:24 PM
You could possible wear more the 2 pairs of tights, if she can still fit into her boot ok, also warm gloves, always help. Also when she is on the ice tell her to keep moving, becuase once you start moving and sweating etc.. you wont fell that cold. also maybe put an under shirt on under her dress, or get a nice little warm up coat that goes with any dress, white or black, and she can just take it off once she is ready too...
By Irishqueen
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 03:08 PM
Definately wear two pairs of tights, one footed pair and one thick over-the-boot pair. Mondor makes pretty think nice tights. The over-the-boots with the velcro are usually thiker than the ones with the silver hooks. If she doesnt want to wear anything over it (and what skater doesnt want to show off their first dress) have her wear a tank top and turtle neck underneath her dress. Also, you could get her a nice warm up jacket, as katreeann suggested. To get her to wear it, you could always sew her basic skills patches on to the sleeves or just get her a "big girls" type jacket like a nice fitted fleece.
By etoile_et_lune
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 01:11 AM
The other suggestions are good, but think also that you can get skating dresses that go the whole length of the arm. The skating skirts don't HAVE to be REALLY short and two pairs of stockings is important - it also reduces the risk of rips in the stockings. Also, don't dress her too warmly because she will get hot. Skating is exercise that uses a LOT of energy and you do warm up really fast when you're on the ice - sitting in the stands you get cold because you're not using any energy. Cna you post a picture of her dress?
By PoorDanceMom
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 06:57 AM
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will see if I can post a picture of the dress but it is basically just a dark purple crushed velvet or velour dress. It does have long sleeves but it has a key hole (I think that's what you call it) in the back. I think I am going to put a long sleeve leotard under the dress and then a pair of footed tights under her over the boot tights and see how that works. I am bringing an extra fleece cover up just in case she does get cold. She is so excited about it that she just can't wait to get to her lesson.
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:30 AM
Tell her good luck, and she must just be adorable once she is all decked out in her skating outfit.
Best of luck
-katrina

ReplySendWatch