Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ballet - Beginners
About all of these "is it too late to start/restart?" posts... (karma: 28)
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:42 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-01-04 23:14:42

Look people. I don't care if you're 13 or if you're 73, no one on this board will EVER tell you that it's too late to start ballet, or to restart ballet. And this is because in theory it never is (unless you're completely physically unable). You can start ballet at any age and improve and have it be beneficial to you and your body.

This does NOT mean that you will grow up to be a professional ballerina, and the reasons for this have been explained a million times, so I won't restate them here.

I'm just a bit tired of every other thread being "I'm so-old and I used to take ballet, can I start again?" or "I'm so-old and I want to start ballet, is it too late?" It's NEVER too late to take ballet. I've heard stories of grandmothers taking ballet and loving it. There are adult ballet classes, there are beginning teen ballet classes, it is NEVER too late for you to take ballet, so please, stop asking.

We won't ever tell you otherwise. I've never seen someone on this board respond "What? Are you crazy? You're 17 and want to start ballet?! This is a joke right??" It's not going to happen. They'll get mad at you if you're trying to say you're going to start at 17 and become a professional ballerina, but I'd ask that we don't get into that here. My dear TomatoWench has a whole thread dedicated to it, and a rather good one it is.

So, to summarize. You're never too old to start or restart ballet. You're not too old. Say it with me. I am not too old to start/restart ballet. Good little dancer.

197 Replies to About all of these "is it too late to start/restart?" posts...

re: About all of these "is it too late to start/restart?" posts...
By tutulessmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5351, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 01:07 PM
That's my girrrrl :D
By x3_dancer_x3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 449, member since Sun Sep 18, 2005
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 02:01 PM
Sticky Sticky Sticky!!!! :)
Yeah!
By FunkyBuddhistGrlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 162, member since Sun Jan 01, 2006
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 03:59 PM
Like I'm 28 and just got back into it after like 4 years off. Did I ask anyone if I was too old to do it? Nope. I put my feet in fifth position and decided this old body could still handle it. I didn't ask anyone's permission.......I simply found a studio and went!
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 04:35 PM
Let's hope people read this before posting the 500th post about age and ballet.
By specialballerina Comments: 2303, member since Fri Oct 22, 2004
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 04:43 PM
I'm with ^.

All those posts titled 'Is it too late to start ballet?' really bug me. So do the ones titled 'Can I still be a proffessional'.

You've covered both in your post,Nienna dancer. You rock :D Karma!
By NinaBallerina021 Comments: 420, member since Sun Nov 27, 2005
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 04:56 PM
Why would people ask for permission anyway I mean how would we know we don´t even know them I would say if you wanna do it then don´t wait for us to tell us you can wait for yourself to tell you "I can"!!!
By x_dancer_88_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 225, member since Tue Dec 13, 2005
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 09:44 AM
i know what you mean and agree but some people just like the reasurance!!!!
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:33 PM
I know, but still. Every other post on this board is "is it too late to start?". I just want to let every beginning dancer know that it's never too late to start or restart. Dance is dance, no matter how old you are.
By Gena Comments: 487, member since Mon Dec 20, 2004
On Wed Jan 04, 2006 01:20 AM
Mods lets please have a sticky on this. It is actually getting incredibly old. I think TomatoWench's post should be a sticky too. Right on the first page of ballet beginners.
By Frillamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 115, member since Fri Dec 30, 2005
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:11 PM
I'm glad, that you said this aloud. Now it should be at last chrystal clear for everyone!
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:23 PM
Yes, these posts "Am I too old?", "Is it too late?" and "Can I do pointe?" are getting a little tiresome. Please do not ask us. We don't know you, we have never seen you dance, so we can't possibly answer those questions. These are questions that only your teacher can answer.
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 05:50 PM
I think some people just want reassurance that they're not wasting time by starting an art so "late" in life. If you really want to start ballet, chances are, you wouldn't be deterred by "No, you're too old to start" responses on the Internet.

~fairy
By ballerina_222member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 306, member since Sun Jan 08, 2006
On Sun Jan 08, 2006 01:27 PM
I agree. I don't think it is too late to start. I started ballet in september, and I'm a teenager. I even have an adult in my class. It is never too late to start.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 07:50 AM
Edited by smileywoman (141214) on 2006-01-15 07:52:45 added karma remark and a PS
I too am getting frustrated with re-posts! Oh, karma for you too!

At the top of each forum, it should read read all posts before posting. I am sick of re-reading the same posts over and over all over DDN. The "is it too late to start/restar" is just one of the posts that keep popping up like weeds!

Would we be pests to point out these posts to moderators? I think posts should be removed with a comment to have poster read through a forum...so they can see that it's already there?

I know it's boring to go through all DDN to find something, and I've read all 10 pages in each forum over and over. I do this because I find valuable things and it refreshes me on what's already there.

Does anyone have luck searching on a topic at DDN? I find the search feature to not be very helpful, which forces me to skim through 10 pages under each forum. [I've only been a DDNer for 4 months, so maybe there's a more efficient way to find info. and assist these re-posters from doing so and finding their info. more easily too?]

Regards,

Maria AKA smileywoman - 45 year old beginning pointe student

PS I wanted to post something like this, so thank you for beating me to it.
YUP YUP
By memari Comments: 9, member since Sun Jan 15, 2006
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 01:21 AM
I totally agree. I just had my first lesson a couple of days ago and I am 16. I enjoyed it alot, and no one thought it odd for me to join, they just helped me right along. Ballet is for everyone!
By Danina_Petroskov Comments: 20, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:10 AM
I really liked this post because there is so true! I started ballet at 6 years old, but I quit. I restarted when I was 13, and it was great! My father always said that I was to old but I showed him that I can do ballet right and isn't to late. But unhappyly there are some studios that don't allow people more that 10 years to start ballet. Some schools really don't help :(
By codeimagine Comments: 66, member since Fri Nov 18, 2005
On Thu Jan 19, 2006 05:36 PM
I have 30 year olds in my classes which are teen/adult. I have seen older people taking dance and loving it. So I would say that anyone who is physically able to take it and want to take it should go ahead!
Trying something new
By carebear0203 Comments: 2, member since Fri Jan 20, 2006
On Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:11 PM
I am 20 years old and I decided to start ballet a year ago...I LOVE IT! It did take a lot of work at first (and still) and I studied a lot into it, but i dont regret it because i am actully starting to look like i have been doing it a while. Dont be afraid to start dancing, its great for your health and its such a great sport!!
old?
By canuck6 Comments: 11, member since Mon Jan 23, 2006
On Mon Jan 23, 2006 05:57 PM
I giggle when I see young peoples posts such as "I am 20 and even had adults in my class". I will probably astound my soon to be classmates. Even though I look much much younger (trust me on that one) however I am over 40. I hope they enjoy my company as much as I theirs.
By snowWHITExoxo Comments: 11, member since Sat Jan 14, 2006
On Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:47 PM
i agree my ballet school runs some classes for older people and every one tells how great it is to get bac in to it
By BuTt_Er_FlYdAnCe Comments: 32, member since Tue Jan 17, 2006
On Sun Jan 29, 2006 07:22 PM
NiennaDancer: This does NOT mean that you will grow up to be a professional ballerina, and the reasons for this have been explained a million times, so I won't restate them here.

What is the explanation i dont know?

BuTt_Er_FlYdAnCe :)
By dancerd123 Comments: 69, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Tue Jan 31, 2006 07:10 PM
ive always wanted to do ballet.. thanks for your post
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Wed Feb 01, 2006 03:06 PM
BuTt_Er_FlY_dAnCe, the explanation is that too many of these "Is it too late?" or "Am I too old?" posts are coming from people in their late teens to early twenties whose main goal is to get accepted into a major professional ballet company. The reasons have been hashed out again and again that while it is never too late to start if you want to do it recreationally, it is too late to start at that age and hope to be able to develop the technique enough to get into a professional company.
By BuTt_Er_FlYdAnCe Comments: 32, member since Tue Jan 17, 2006
On Wed Feb 01, 2006 05:51 PM
oh ok thank you for the explanation i better understand where you are coming from

BuTt_Er_FlYdAnCe :)
Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch