Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: About all of these "is it too late to start/restart?" posts...
By Danceallday14 Comments: 26, member since Sun Nov 26, 2006
On Sun Nov 26, 2006 03:32 PM
yup.its never too late. Im 14 and im starting back up.
By dancerdancer22member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 474, member since Sat Oct 28, 2006
On Tue Nov 28, 2006 02:58 PM
Awesome post.Karma to you.I hate when people ask if they are to old.
By runrunrun_LEAP Comments: 22, member since Thu Nov 30, 2006
On Fri Dec 01, 2006 03:21 PM
I completely agree! After being away from ballet for six years, I wanted to return, but had doubts. So I went to a private evaluation and surprised the instructor by how much I remembered. It is never too late to start and doing dance again is probably one of the best things I've done :)
By BALLERINA34member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 123, member since Sat Nov 25, 2006
On Sat Dec 09, 2006 07:08 PM
I am not too old to start/restart ballet. :D I am not too old to start/restart ballet. :D I am not too old to start/restart ballet. :D I am not too old to start/restart ballet. :D I am not too old to start/restart ballet. :D

I feel much better now!!
I started just about a year ago
By Primaballerina_3 Comments: 24, member since Sat Jun 30, 2007
On Sat Jun 30, 2007 06:24 PM
I only started about 9 or 10 months ago,but My studio doesnt offer classes for adults, all it has is level a b c and d //d being the lowest, a being the highest. I am 13 and started in levelD, [When I was 5 I took creative Dance For a year or two. But I was with kids that were aged seven or eight, and I didnt complain, even though the girls that were my age in level B or A were snotty to me. Ballet is ssoooo fun,And I will continue. I am moving up to level C, and starting Pointe next year!

I t was sooo worht it!!
By balletgurl03member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 219, member since Sat Jan 20, 2007
On Sun Jul 01, 2007 09:27 AM
Rock on!
Karma!
On Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:36 AM
Just a reminder to all these new people who are reading this, Don't stop something that you love, or want to try just beacuse of what other people think, it worked for me. Ok? Trust me. From personal experience. I don't have ANY regrets
By sasha1656 Comments: 70, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Fri Jul 06, 2007 09:16 PM
Thanks that was encouraging! I kept putting off going back to ballet, but I finally did and I'm SO glad for it. It makes my metabolism very high and I am alot happier!
By superplumfairy Comments: 81, member since Sun Jul 08, 2007
On Sun Jul 08, 2007 06:01 AM
I'm so glad I read this thread. I'm 25 and started ballet again 4 months ago after a 7 year break. I'm certainly not the same size or standard I used to be at and, fair enough, I know I will never be a professional ballet dancer, but with hard work and determination, there's nothing to stop me reaching a high standard and being the best I can.

The only thing that's going to stop you achiveing the level you want to be at is you.
By ineluctability Comments: 452, member since Wed Jun 20, 2007
On Sun Jul 08, 2007 08:52 AM
Well said SugarPlumFairy!!!

I just started up again this year (I think I've replied to this post) and yesterday while stretching, I was like "Oh my god! I'm almost to the floor!!" (I was sitting, legs out and pulling myself down) I am also only a few inches off the floor in all of my splits, too. Another few weeks - I guarantee I will do it!!!
By irenie_poomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4196, member since Mon Oct 09, 2006
On Tue Jul 10, 2007 01:58 PM
Its there body why should they ask some other person what they should do with it :D Good post!
By orangedream Comments: 1, member since Fri Jul 20, 2007
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 02:01 PM
I do not want to know if I am too old because I will always be 33 but I do want to know if you can be too overweight. It seems as though some things would be a strain if you have too much weight
By happeningfish Comments: 153, member since Sat Apr 28, 2007
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 04:29 PM
Well, as a 30-year-old late starter myself, I found that yeah, you really feel it in your legs and arms as you start to use muscles in a way you're not used to, but at the beginning you're not leaping about quite so much. For a ballet class, I'm a bit on the heavy side myself, but I've been quite overweight in my time a few years back. Nothing I'm doing now in ballet would be too much of a strain. So far I find it much more muscular in terms of strengthening and stretching and lengthening than I do in terms of impact.

If you can stand on one leg while holding on to a barre, you can learn ballet, I think! Anyway, you gotta start somewhere. Progress at your own pace! Hope that helps!
By Chochoc Comments: 9, member since Wed Jul 18, 2007
On Sun Jul 22, 2007 03:05 PM
Yeah, I'm 16 and just started ballet a few months ago. Even I know that I'm not too old to start, but probably too old to do it for a living.
By ballet_dancer34 Comments: 20, member since Mon Jul 02, 2007
On Tue Jul 24, 2007 09:55 AM
Wow! thanks a lot! i have recently started dancing again after 3 years and you are so right!
By LakiWaki Comments: 23, member since Fri Aug 03, 2007
On Fri Aug 03, 2007 06:59 AM
thanks so much for posting that,i was a little nervous to re-start ballet again....i did it when i was about 4 and 5....then my brother passed away,and times got tough in the family so i stopped for a while and am now getting ready to start again....i felt a little weird signing up because i am going in as a beginer and im 12 and every time i take a summer class in begginers i end up w/ a bunch of 4,5,6, and 7 year olds!!!...i feel so imbarassed!!!...i need a mentor to tell me how to survive, and what to wear, and what brand of shoes, and so on...im dead when it comes to shopping for ballet...dead i tell you!!!! well please write back soon and help me out a little!!! thanx a lot lakin
By dancing_kitkat Comments: 1678, member since Wed Jul 25, 2007
On Fri Aug 03, 2007 01:32 PM
hello i have been on and off ballet since i was about 2 and i am now 12 and me and my sister are going to start do you think is to late!
On Fri Aug 03, 2007 05:55 PM
I do not hink its too late I just started when I was 12 right before my 13th birthday. I am SO happy I restarted. I did little ballet classes for two years when I was five. But its never too late, just give it all you've got and you'll fit right in!! :)
By momcat45Premium member Comments: 2, member since Tue Aug 07, 2007
On Sun Aug 12, 2007 04:51 PM
Hello,
I'd just like to say that you folks have really delighted me with your acceptance of all ages of dancers. I'm 62 and when I got to feeling better after two surgeries I was looking for something to do that would make me feel good about myself again. I realized that I wanted to dance again. I might be old, I am definitely arthritic, but when I put on my leo and tights and slippers, I leave all that behind for a while and I'm again young, beautiful and graceful. I don't mean to sound arrogant just joyful!!
Thanks,
momcat45, "mama" to 7 doggies, two human kids, and a hubby!
By DanceInTheRainmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 117, member since Wed May 30, 2007
On Mon Aug 20, 2007 09:55 PM
Im not too old to start ballet
YESSS! I'm a good little dancer!!!!
By BalletGirlGiry Comments: 2, member since Wed Aug 29, 2007
On Thu Aug 30, 2007 01:00 PM
Mine isn't is it too late well kinda lol but mostly I have no money for a class and I wouldn't feel comftable cause I am well kinda clumsy. I did ballet when I was young am now 18 I really wanna do some but I am big not big big but still not exactly skinny or whatever. But I look big. I am about 11 stone or something and I wanna just get some ballet shoes and try and learn some stuff at home. Would give me something relaxing to do and would keep me active abit more. Any advice? or anything would be good.

Comment #6395515 deleted

Comment #6395519 deleted

By momcat45Premium member Comments: 2, member since Tue Aug 07, 2007
On Thu Sep 06, 2007 07:06 AM
You might try some beginning and intermediate ballet videos until you move to the bigger city. I can understand somewhat the teacher's action. When I was a teenage girl, the presence of an adult male resulted in extreme self-consciousness. I don't think that I'm unusual in that respect. She probably wanted to have all her girls' attention completely on the lesson.

I found a link to a digital ballet download. I haven't previewed it, but it looks pretty good and the prices are reasonable, too.

The link is: www.buy-a-class.com

Whatever you do, keep dancing for your soul!!
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Tue Sep 18, 2007 07:50 PM
Hello. I am 53 years old. I studied ballet starting at the age of seven through twenty three, returned at twenty seven and continued into my mid-thirties. I would have continued at that time, but extremely serious shoulder surgery forced me to stop. When I was cleared to resume physical activities, I felt "too old and silly" to return to dance.

I did maintain a very basic barre routine for a number of years.

A few weeks ago I happened to be reading the Sunday paper and noticed that several local studios offered something called "adult ballet." Initially, I dismissed the idea as undoable. But the thought percolated in my head for a week, and I researched the schools. I settled on one whose instructor had an impressive professional as well as educational resume, and called her.

I was very surprised to find that she was supportive of the idea, and in fact pooh-poohed the idea that I was too old and out of shape. She informed me that most of the class had prior ballet training, and were just returning to it, with the exception of a seventy-four year old woman who had started three years ago and had returned to pointe.

So I went to the class, and was surprised at the amount of technique and flexibility I had retained. No, I cannot do a split, but my primary goal here is not to do splits. It is to maintain and improve my physical and yes, spiritual condition using the form of dance that I loved for so long.

Even at my age, the strength and extension will return to a degree. With the greying of America, I am sure that more superannuated dancers will again return to their youthful passion. No, we will not enter a professional repertory company, but I doubt any of us are naive enough to think we will.

I humbly submit that, given those parameters, anyone can return to ballet at some level unless she is confined to a wheelchair.
Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch