Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 5 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: About all of these "is it too late to start/restart?" posts...
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Tue Sep 18, 2007 07:55 PM
Oh, my. I hit the submit button before I finished my train of thought here:

One thought about the middle-aged returning to ballet: Chances are we have enough strength of character to stop worrying about what we will look like in tights, or how the rest of the class is doing compared to us. Chances are, we have accepted our self-image enough to realize that the "competition" is in stretching ourselves, not in competing for attention. We are strong in spirit enough to accept and welcome correction and put into practice the advice for improvement.

After all, we are certainly old enough to know that it is we who must approve of ourselves!
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 604, member since Fri Sep 21, 2007
On Fri Sep 21, 2007 08:55 PM
maureensiobhan wrote:

BuTt_Er_FlY_dAnCe, the explanation is that too many of these "Is it too late?" or "Am I too old?" posts are coming from people in their late teens to early twenties whose main goal is to get accepted into a major professional ballet company. The reasons have been hashed out again and again that while it is never too late to start if you want to do it recreationally, it is too late to start at that age and hope to be able to develop the technique enough to get into a professional company.
That is true. However some people are told they are to old by people they trusted and all they want to do is do it recreationally cause it looks so cool. (yeah im talking about myself but and i repeat i do not want to be pro)
By Giselle92 Comments: 27, member since Fri Sep 28, 2007
On Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:24 AM
I'm 15 & I started dancing ballet two weeks ago :). I danced ballet for a year when I was 8 but then I stopped because my teacher told me I don't have the right body shape & that it made no sense for me to be still dancing ballet :(. Luckly, I just stopped dancing ballet & not other dance styles. So now I am starting to dance ballet again because I love this dance & I don't care if I don't have the right body shape. Now I dance because I love ballet & I am not to old to start again:)
By pointe2kimi Comments: 28, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:02 AM
This was a really good post. I think it's silly for people to worry about being too old, if you want to do it then go take class! I started dancing when I was 5, but I didn't start ballet until I was 13 (which was in 2006!). I went to class 6 days a week, taking 9 classes a week to start off. After Christmas break I was given permission to start pointe. By the end of the year I was taking 12 ballet classes a week, and also 1 modern and 2 pilates. I also got into my studio's summer intensive. If I had worried about if it was too late to start one year ago, I wouldn't be where I am today. Now, I still have a lot to learn! My ultimate goal is to go to a college with a good dance program, and then teach dance classes. I'll admit that being a jazz dancer and on my schools dance team helped me; but even if you've never had dance experience or you don't want a dance-related career it doesn't matter! Just go to class, even if you're really scared. You know why you should? Because ballet is fun!
By Lovelylau Comments: 45, member since Wed Oct 03, 2007
On Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:53 PM
You're so right!!! Never is 2 late!!

:D

Lau
By polka_dot_ballet Comments: 6, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Sun Oct 14, 2007 01:48 PM
Thts such a shame some studios dont let over 10s start ballet! My ballet teacher had 2 pupils herself who both started age 14 n went on to b professionals with big companies! I dont think its ever 2 late2 start dancing n somepeople just like 2have reassurance :)
By polka_dot_ballet Comments: 6, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Sun Oct 14, 2007 02:01 PM
Of course its not 2 late! Good luck n have fun!:) xx
By ajLrAhE Comments: 21, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Fri Nov 09, 2007 02:31 AM
Your so right, I mean I started ballet at 12 and less than a year later I was in intermediate foundation(RAD) and before I knew it was on pointe so hey I guess anythings possible if you believe in your self.
By natalie23 Comments: 30, member since Wed Aug 15, 2007
On Mon Nov 19, 2007 02:23 PM
This is all true because I am 13 years old and because of my ability to move faster then younger kids I have already excelled from ballet 1 to ballet 3
By Verena Comments: 90, member since Sat Jan 12, 2008
On Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:03 AM
You guys are so lucky to have the chance to re/start ballet. Here in Bulgaria it is simply impossible. I started ballet when I was 4 and quited at the age of 12 because I just couldn't stand my teacher's physical and psychologycal methods anymore. Now I am 20 and I feel ready to try again...but no studio wants to accept me. Ballet classes for beginners who are older than 9 are just no offered. I spent about a month going from one studio to another, asking for someone ready to work with me...no result. I am ready to take classes with young kids, it is not a problem for me, but all I can do are some stretching and barre exercises at home.
Btw, sorry for my English, it's a little bit rusty - I just don't have enough time to keep my hands in it.
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 604, member since Fri Sep 21, 2007
On Thu Feb 07, 2008 03:37 PM
Verena wrote:

You guys are so lucky to have the chance to re/start ballet. Here in Bulgaria it is simply impossible. I started ballet when I was 4 and quited at the age of 12 because I just couldn't stand my teacher's physical and psychologycal methods anymore. Now I am 20 and I feel ready to try again...but no studio wants to accept me. Ballet classes for beginners who are older than 9 are just no offered. I spent about a month going from one studio to another, asking for someone ready to work with me...no result. I am ready to take classes with young kids, it is not a problem for me, but all I can do are some stretching and barre exercises at home.
Btw, sorry for my English, it's a little bit rusty - I just don't have enough time to keep my hands in it.

Aaaw thats so sad. and your english is great so please dont worry
By brownskin6 Comments: 21, member since Wed Feb 13, 2008
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 04:44 PM
A M E N :)
On Thu Feb 14, 2008 06:47 AM
Keep your finger crossed for me tomorrow! A really nice lady from a Bulgarian rhythmic gymnastics forum asked a friend of her to give me a chance to become a part of her ballet studio. I will phone her tomorrow, hope she will not get disappointed when finds out how old I am and how long I haven't practiced.
I am so excited...hope it works out and the money isn't too much...
By jeger Comments: 30, member since Wed Feb 06, 2008
On Thu Feb 28, 2008 03:30 PM
I think that is never too late to dance!!!!
good luck!!!
By laurelIYBdancer Comments: 7, member since Sun Mar 02, 2008
On Tue Mar 04, 2008 06:51 AM
speak the truth! power to ya! i love ya!
On Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:17 AM
You will just not belive it! I started ballet, luckily I wasn't a nightmare...it seems I haven't lost my skills completely...I was on cloud nine...and then, out of a sudden, my ballet teacher said she intends to change the ballet studio we trained in and I will have to pay 5 euros a practice...it is just a great drain to my finances, my university scholarship is 30 euros...So, unfortunately I had to quit. Just can't find words strong enough to describe how i feel
By pointeballerinomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 174, member since Thu Feb 21, 2008
On Sun Mar 09, 2008 02:25 PM
Its nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I only started taking classes a while ago..and I'm 21!
By Dancing_Girl96member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 153, member since Sun Mar 09, 2008
On Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:48 AM
I hope lots of people read this because you are true! Its never too late to start ballet!
By SomedayBallet Comments: 16, member since Sat Apr 19, 2008
On Tue May 06, 2008 04:29 PM
pointe2kimi wrote:

This was a really good post. I think it's silly for people to worry about being too old, if you want to do it then go take class! I started dancing when I was 5, but I didn't start ballet until I was 13 (which was in 2006!). I went to class 6 days a week, taking 9 classes a week to start off. After Christmas break I was given permission to start pointe. By the end of the year I was taking 12 ballet classes a week, and also 1 modern and 2 pilates. I also got into my studio's summer intensive. If I had worried about if it was too late to start one year ago, I wouldn't be where I am today. Now, I still have a lot to learn! My ultimate goal is to go to a college with a good dance program, and then teach dance classes. I'll admit that being a jazz dancer and on my schools dance team helped me; but even if you've never had dance experience or you don't want a dance-related career it doesn't matter! Just go to class, even if you're really scared. You know why you should? Because ballet is fun!

that's really wonderful and great, but taking all of those classes seems REALLY REALLY expensive and i think the late starters(including me) who are 18+ would have a difficult time taking so many classes. and also, you probably excelled so fast because of all the classes you took a week.
By Rubberband17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1578, member since Sat May 19, 2007
On Tue May 06, 2008 08:15 PM
I fully agree with you! This cannot be said enough! No people, you are not too old to start dance!Hopfully this will cut down on the number of posts asking this question!
By behappy_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 662, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Sun May 11, 2008 04:47 PM
No one should EVER hold back because they're "too old". Dance is a wonderful thing and everyone should be able to try it no matter how old they are.
By XxXballetXxX Comments: 29, member since Sun Jun 08, 2008
On Sun Jun 08, 2008 04:31 AM
Good on you for saying that! you are so true in all that you said! this is definetly a sticky worth!
By Dancer_Male Comments: 28, member since Thu Jun 05, 2008
On Sun Jun 08, 2008 03:06 PM
Right on!
I started ballet in my 20's, and no I will never go pro, and it was very hard to start at that age, I am still not in an ideal ballerina shape. I do have fun though! :)
I also hope to lose some weight and maybe go en pointe soon.

So thanks for your comments, as I agree no matter your size or age, you can dance and have fun!
By Gaynor_ox Comments: 32, member since Thu May 29, 2008
On Fri Jul 04, 2008 07:20 AM
I'm glad, that you said this aloud. Now it should be at last chrystal clear for everyone!
By breathe_ballet Comments: 23, member since Wed Jul 02, 2008
On Wed Jul 09, 2008 03:41 PM
I personally do NOT think that it's ever too late to start dancing.
I'm sixteen and I just started dancing not long ago, and I absolutely love it.
Page:
Page 5 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch