Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: About all of these "is it too late to start/restart?" posts...
By Evi12345 Comments: 59, member since Sun Jun 15, 2008
On Wed Jul 30, 2008 04:27 PM
I obviously 100% agree!
By Ribbenaballerina Comments: 16, member since Wed Jul 02, 2008
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:13 AM
your so right im so glad you posted this thank you why do people think theres this age line over when you can and carnt start, its as if they expect someone to turn around and say no you cant enrole to my studio, because your 14 or something how weird would that be
so thanks again and i realy hope that no one ever posts anything saying am i too old to start again
x x x
By LizzieLizard0123 Comments: 16, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Wed Aug 06, 2008 09:47 PM
amen sister!
By i_luff_to_dance Comments: 21, member since Thu Aug 07, 2008
On Fri Aug 08, 2008 03:11 AM
I completely agree

IT IS NEVER TO LATE

i started ballet at 12 and am now better then all the girls who started at 3. it takes dedication and technique. NOT YEARS OF REMEMBERING.

i am now a teacher of ballet and am more successful than all the old 3 year old ballarinas
By loveandwar Comments: 54, member since Fri Aug 22, 2008
On Sat Aug 30, 2008 06:40 PM
liteairyfairy wrote:

I think some people just want reassurance that they're not wasting time by starting an art so "late" in life. If you really want to start ballet, chances are, you wouldn't be deterred by "No, you're too old to start" responses on the Internet.

~fairy

This is such an old comment, but I just wanted to say..
some people do really just need that reassurance. I know I needed to hear it. More than just that, when I decided to restart, I just wanted to hear that there were people my age and older who are beginners (again), too.
By dancing_rain Comments: 40, member since Wed Oct 01, 2008
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 03:26 PM
Thank you for posting this! I'm 14 and restarted ballet this year! I feel much more confident in restarting ballet and dance! I'm hoping to make the school dance team this year. I have really been practicing and working hard.
By xBOBLOVESSTARZx Comments: 3, member since Sun Nov 09, 2008
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 08:08 AM
I've just started ballet three weeks ago and im sixteen I find it a little hard but im still determined to do it.Im doing three classes a week plus a contempoary dance class so hopefully Ill be able to catch up XD! I was so happy when i started ballet woo!
By dk1045 Comments: 135, member since Fri Feb 16, 2007
On Mon Dec 01, 2008 03:23 PM
lol
I was just coming to this board to post this exact thing cause I see them pretty much every time I log onto dance.net (BEST SITE EVER
By chanael07 Comments: 2, member since Sat Dec 06, 2008
On Sat Dec 06, 2008 01:59 AM
well i would just like to say that i am 21 yrs old, and i am looking for a studio that will take older people for beginner classes, also i know that im not to old to start taking ballet lessons, the problem is, its hard to find beginner classes for older people, thats why alot of people wonder if there to old to start, because their are alot of places that do not want to (i've heard plenty of companies say) "waste their time," because they basically know there is a strong possiblity that a person starting out at an older age will not become professional ballerina.
By dancesmith Comments: 30, member since Tue Oct 28, 2008
On Sat Dec 06, 2008 09:53 AM
chanael07,
I think many adults here will find your comments confusing. While I don't know where you're located, adult beginner classes are quite common in many places. In fact, most of the dancers in those classes would be older than you, sometimes considerably so.

Separate from the issue of finding an adult beginner class is your comment about companies not being very interested in a 21-year old beginner. Opportunities to dance with a professional company are highly competitive and there are generally many more 21-year old dancers who have years of training seeking those scarce positions.

This certainly isn't to say that it's impossible to eventually perform with a company at some level. There have been other late starter who have achieved it. But it will take a lot of hard work, dedication, realistic expectations and no small amount of luck.
May you have plenty of all.
By chanael07 Comments: 2, member since Sat Dec 06, 2008
On Sat Dec 06, 2008 07:58 PM
dancesmith

I live in louisiana, and I was not talking about dance companies, I was talking about studios, were a person is trained to become a professional dancer. I have contacted plenty of studios where I live and alot of them are geared towards children. Thats what I meant by saying that it is hard for older people to find beginner ballet classes.
By amhdance Comments: 25, member since Wed Dec 03, 2008
On Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 PM
nice work. this hopefully is the last one about 'Im I too old'.

It is so annoying. Start ballet or any dance for that matter whenever you would like.

karma for you Nienna
By dancesmith Comments: 30, member since Tue Oct 28, 2008
On Tue Dec 09, 2008 02:46 PM
chanael07,
Thanks for your clarification. Now I understand better. You are correct that, unfortunately, if you are not near a larger city, ballet classes for adult beginners may be difficult to find, particularly in some areas of the country. I might suggest to try to find some other people like yourself who would sign up for an adult class and armed with that, try to convince a studio that it would be monetarily worthwhile for them to try to offer an adult class.
In your case, the economic squeeze on studios might work in your favor if you can "show them the money!"
Good luck!
By TinyDancer16 Comments: 4, member since Wed Dec 10, 2008
On Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:50 PM
Wow, that question has been running through my mind ever since I have wanted to start dance. Thank you so much for putting this on here.
By enpointe12 Comments: 40, member since Sun Jan 11, 2009
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 07:13 PM
Thank you so much! This really helped me. It's so well written and helps me understand so much better! I love ballet so much, and this really helped inspire me.
By bettybooh Comments: 9, member since Fri Jan 23, 2009
On Mon Feb 02, 2009 04:25 AM
that's what i'm always thinking about.

it's disappointing that
-the classes here are too expensive since i would need a one on one class to catch up so i can join grade 5 (i'm 14)
-no transportation (only one car and my dad uses it obviously)
-not enough time for schoolwork (so says my mom, and it might be ture since i'm so slow)
-unless i would die to take ballet, i shouldn't do it/it's not worth it-- why start all of the sudden?
By Rinnimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 84, member since Sat Jun 14, 2008
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:09 PM
im 11 and i started ballet last year and i have started to do comps its not the age your at its the passion for the dancing that really counts and i agree you can be 101 or 5 it does not matter its the passion that really counts!
By Rinnimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 84, member since Sat Jun 14, 2008
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:10 PM
im 11 and i started ballet last year and i have started to do comps its not the age your at its the passion for the dancing that really counts and i agree you can be 101 or 5 it does not matter its the passion that really counts!
By falling_leaf Comments: 143, member since Wed Mar 18, 2009
On Thu Apr 02, 2009 08:07 PM
I'm 26 and I just started again. Took ballet classes when I was really young and forgot most of it. I'm really excited to get started again!
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Fri Apr 03, 2009 09:46 AM
I'm talking about studios, where a person is trained to become a professional dancer.

Chanael07, do you perhaps mean a pre-professional school? These are the studios where a person is trained to become a professional dancer. There is a reason that pre-pro schools will not accept late-starters. The primary goal of the teachers and directors in these schools is to produce professional dancers. These teachers and directors feel that teenage-or- older students will not go on to become professionals. Pre-pro students who are 17 or 18 will have completed their training and are ready to start auditioning for companies. They are not just beginning their training. If you can find a recreational school in your area, those teachers will accept students of any age.
By reinertanz Comments: 26, member since Fri Mar 13, 2009
On Mon Apr 06, 2009 08:51 PM
I absolutely 100%ly agree with you on that good thread!!!!
By reinertanz Comments: 26, member since Fri Mar 13, 2009
On Mon Apr 06, 2009 08:55 PM
I absolutely 100%ly agree with you on that good thread!!!!
By jocknballettight Comments: 61, member since Sun Jan 06, 2008
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 04:22 PM
GREAT advice and in this country where it seems normal to be over weight ballet certainly can be very useful in a regular program of diet and excersise A NON brainer
jocknballet
By dancersattyPremium member Comments: 27, member since Mon Feb 02, 2009
On Tue May 26, 2009 11:05 AM
Haha, I needed to read this! I always wanted to take any type of dance when I was a child but for some reason my dad was too strict to allow me to do so. I'd like to get into something but what type of dance is usually the easiest to take up at such a late age?
By Rachelpoteet Comments: 20, member since Wed Jul 02, 2003
On Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:58 AM
I like the way you are saying you are not too late to start or restart,I am just get ready to restart ballet,used to using point shoes but hurt my ancle its hard to pick it up again ,but I will try, do you have any good way to pratice?;)
Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch