Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: About all of these "is it too late to start/restart?" posts...
By Rachelpoteet Comments: 20, member since Wed Jul 02, 2003
On Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:05 PM
I like the way you are saying you are not too late to start or restart,I am just get ready to restart ballet,used to using point shoes but hurt my ancle its hard to pick it up again ,but I will try, do you have any good way to pratice?;);):)
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:47 PM
THANK you for this :) it drives me nuts seeing those threads everywhere! ANYONE can do ballet at anytime :)
By StagLeap Comments: 31, member since Mon Sep 14, 2009
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 02:47 PM
Great Post! Ive noticed so many of those over the past few monthes, even before I joined!
By brea247 Comments: 43, member since Fri Sep 25, 2009
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 06:31 PM
your never to late to start anything
By DANCEBOY5 Comments: 22, member since Fri Oct 16, 2009
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:25 PM
I started as an adult, and I hope to do some ''local'' recital work. I 'm never going to dance as a pro dancer, but thats fine. Just as long as I CAN dance ballet is what counts! And most local ballet schools are just desparate for any guys that want to dance and can feel proud of it. Ballet can be no mans land for guys in America, so most schools really need guys to dance...
By bluedancer28 Comments: 9, member since Fri Nov 07, 2008
On Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:11 AM
Yahooo for this post! I am a retired Classical Ballet dancer and at 29 (I had retired at 24) I thought I was too old to restart/ learn new styles of dance...but I found my big girl leotard ;p and am proud to say that I am almost done w/ my BA in Modern Dance and am planning to start my MFA in the Fall of 2010 :)
Dance is wonderful no matter what the style! I say go out there and try your best and enjoy the experience!
By DeevaGee Comments: 25, member since Fri Jul 03, 2009
On Sat Dec 05, 2009 02:10 PM
haaahaaa! it really bugs me when people ask if they're too late to start ballet!
By wastedmb Comments: 21, member since Fri Dec 04, 2009
On Tue Dec 08, 2009 03:45 PM
I love this! (:
thank you so much for posting it!
By Dancerat50member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 353, member since Fri Dec 18, 2009
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:18 PM
I started dancing last year at age 50 after a 30 year break and I defy anyone to tell me that I am too old, too out of shape or too anything else because I am not doing this for you, I am doing this for me! More power to those of us who no longer worry about what others think of us or those of us who refuse to be put in a compartment that befits our elderly status!!
By azdark86member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 51, member since Sat Jan 31, 2009
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 09:41 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to say I am guilty of starting a new thread and asking that same question! I'm really sorry and apologise for not reading the Sticky threads first, and I wish I had as the comments are really nice and motivational :) I'm really touched and it means a lot to know there are people out there who genuinely support new dancers who are still finding their feet.

Thank you all for supporting 'newbies' like me who wish to try the wonderful art-form that is ballet.

- Azdark
By Adancer624 Comments: 20, member since Mon Nov 24, 2008
On Sat Jan 30, 2010 02:31 PM
Lol I love this! I am trying to restart. I plan on just dancing every chance I get to get better.
By dforeman Comments: 98, member since Tue Mar 23, 2010
On Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:24 AM
It's wonderful that there are forums out there that encourage everyone (no matter age, gender, location, and experience) to get up and into classes! I was slightly nervous, a couple of years ago, about re-starting ballet after an 8 year hiatus, for the simple fact that my previous dance studios never really had adults attend classes even in the teen/adult categories.

However after researching, I found a wonderful academy that loves all students, whether children, pre-professionals, or adults! My classes are a hob glob of 20-somethings, middle agers, and even a couple of senior citizens (who are far better, technically, than most of us!) all of which are there because they love to dance. It is a wonderful environment to grow, be inspired, and spend 3-6 hours a week in!

So, I totally agree, don't worry about anything, just go out there, do what you love, and have a wonderful time!
By kegan5 Comments: 18, member since Thu Oct 08, 2009
On Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:37 PM
Apologies I haven't posted on these forums for a while :) I just wanted to give anyone wondering whether to go back into dance a bit of encouragement.

I went back at 26, and I've now 2 years later been offered a place in on a full time dance course... so as everyone else has said it is possible :) xx

Good luck and happy dancing
By tonihowe Comments: 32, member since Sat Sep 19, 2009
On Mon Apr 26, 2010 06:07 AM
I actually get parents who come in with their 7/8 year old child saying to me 'I think I'll put her in hip-hop or something as she'll be too old to start ballet won't she?'
It annoys me, I get very few children starting ballet past the age of about 6 because of this belief. All of my 8 upward students who start ballet at this age are usually attending other classes or on competition teams and are taking ballet to improve technique.
Just for the record, I did ballet from the age of about 5-7, quit to do tap and other than 1 year of ballet at 10 (did it because it was required to take jazz at my school), I didn't start again until I was 15 and I have danced professionally as a ballet dancer.
By MiniMademoiselle Comments: 37, member since Mon Aug 02, 2010
On Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:42 PM
I totally agree!
By dancerdani3Premium member Comments: 59, member since Mon Jun 28, 2010
On Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:27 AM
Amen sister! :)
By Ingenue Comments: 4, member since Sun Aug 29, 2010
On Sun Aug 29, 2010 04:02 PM
I used to believe that I was too old to start taking dance classes, but I've finally found the courage to sign up for a adult beginner ballet class. I'm so excited to be doing this! I know that I'm very behind from other people my age (21), but I'm doing this for me and I'm so proud of myself for going for this.
By imadancer303 Comments: 26, member since Thu Dec 02, 2010
On Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:41 PM
I'm almost 14 and have not started ballet. I take dance at my school so I have experience but would like to join a studio so I can begin pointe. If I start taking a 100 percent ballet class now, I can still go on pointe right?
By Intissar Comments: 3, member since Tue Mar 08, 2011
On Thu Mar 17, 2011 08:54 AM
Edited by Intissar (233497) on 2011-03-17 08:55:35
Thanks so much for making this post! I actually read it ages ago before I became a member of DDN and it's so encouraging. I started ballet as a late-bloomer as it was at age 15 after dreaming about dancing ballet all my life. Unfortunately, I suffered a knee injury at 16 due to a completely unrelated accident and restarting ballet has always been one of my greatest desires since but, you know, there are so many excuses for putting it off... ;) Not enough money, feeling too old, not enough time, etc. But I'm restarting finally! So this post and all of the comments are still motivating. It's never too late to start! Thanks for the encouragement. :)
By mileseez135 Comments: 203, member since Sat Feb 05, 2011
On Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 PM
I'm 32 and never had an interest in dance, but 3 years ago I couldn't run anymore, so decided to try ballet because I thought it'd be "EASY." :) That's how LITTLE I knew about dance!!!!! :) 1.5 years later I was dancing 4x/week and taking pointe. Now 3 years later, my teachers say they continue to be amazed by my progress. One said she's never seen someone pick things up so quickly and she teaches at a very good school with a big children's division in my city. Ironically, I think being a relatively strong adult before starting ballet helped in a lot of ways!! Those little 5- year olds (or 3-year olds!) still have a lot of muscles to develop in their scrawny legs/ankles/cores!! I love the community of adult dancers I've gotten to know. They are the warmest people!! I can't imagine life without dance anymore!!
By kristinahco Comments: 1, member since Thu Apr 21, 2011
On Thu Apr 21, 2011 02:10 AM
Hey Im Kristina, thanks for the add about 'Never is too late to start a dance class' Im 35 yrs old but I look and feel like 27 yrs old. I'v been taken Tae Kwon Do classes from the age of 5 and stopped when I was 25, 2 moths ago now, I started Hip Hop class or Urban Class? and Im so happy, I love it and I enjoy every class so much that I want to start my own class, so my question is 'for how long do I need to practice or be taken more classes to become a teacher??? or if is too late for that???
By pointework Comments: 150, member since Sun May 15, 2011
On Tue May 17, 2011 05:11 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to eventually take pointe work I've had some 2 and 1/2 years previous training in one 1 hour class a week but I am planning on taking another 2nd class to supplement my dance training.

Comment #9595941 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2011-07-18 00:03:56 Free advertising is not permitted. Please contact the administration regarding your advertising options.

Comment #9595945 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2011-07-18 00:05:16 Free advertising is not permitted. Please contact the administration regarding your advertising options.

By lovestodance989 Comments: 318, member since Sun Jun 12, 2011
On Tue Jun 14, 2011 07:11 PM
Haha that was funny :) But true, it's never too late to start! I get sooo annoyed when people do that!
Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch