Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 8 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: About all of these "is it too late to start/restart?" posts...
By CornFlakeGirlPremium member Comments: 10, member since Sat Jun 18, 2011
On Sat Jun 18, 2011 04:32 PM
I am a 34 year old mom of two kids. I have always loved ballet and took classes when I was in 6th grade. My family always moved alot so I didnt get to stick with it. I have been taking ballet lessons again for about 2 months now, and loving it. I might not be super gracefull and spotting is still a big problem, but I know with practice it will all come together. Your never to old to do anything so if you want to dance, dance!
By lilstarone1 Comments: 1, member since Wed Oct 05, 2011
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 08:42 AM
ok... so I am REALLY new to ballet and I am 38 and I read your post.... and I just have to say... IT WAS AWESOME! I am a girl who likes people to say EXACTLY what they are thinking.... with no bubbles and sugar... your post was very direct, real and ENCOURAGING!!!

I am SO AWFUL.. and it is funny... but I do not care what anyone thinks... I will just keep going to my classes until... I am ok, better, really good, and so on! Thank you for 1. saying "stop asking" and 2. saying YES you can do it!!!

You are honest and precise!

thank you!
By bolshoiballet Comments: 3, member since Thu Oct 20, 2011
On Thu Oct 20, 2011 05:40 PM
i like the way you see things. i just recently started ballet, at the age of 18, and while it has been pretty tough being so bad when most women my age are extremely seasoned, i feel that i'm picking up on it rather quickly. so, while i'll never be as amazing as i'd like, after just a year, my teachers have noted my drastic improvement. so i'm totally with you. tho, again, if you want to be the best, starting early is generally your best bet.
By anvita1a Comments: 1, member since Wed Dec 21, 2011
On Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:36 PM
Edited by anvita1a (244316) on 2011-12-21 23:40:03
Hey, I would have to disagree with the fact that it might be too late to dance professionally. My experience might be a little irrelevant since I'm not a ballet dancer.

I started learning Bharatnatyam (an Indian form of dance) when I was 5. But by the time I was 12, I got bored, so I quit. I started again when I was 16 but two years later, I moved to Mumbai to pursue modeling and ignored dancing again.

Now I'm 21, I've just started learning Kathak (another Indian form of dance) and my teacher tells me that I have the potential to start performing professionally in a year or two, when it normally takes about 7 years to reach that point.

I don't know about ballet, I've never learnt ballet, but dance is dance, and the same basic principles apply to all forms.

So, basically, what I'm trying to say is, if you have the talent and if you are willing to work hard, its never too late, ever! Just go for it! Pursue your dream, because if you don't, you only have yourself to blame. Don't listen to anyone who says you're too old, because you're never too old! There are zillions of dancers who started late, and are quite successful today! Just google it!

Just go with what your heart says.
By Antarien Comments: 2, member since Sun Mar 11, 2012
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 03:59 PM
Well, let me tell my story either.
I started dancing two years ago and I started taking ballet classes a year ago.
I must say that I have never had minds like that "Am I to old to start" or "I will never became a professional" and so on.
Moreover, it turns out, that I have good turnout and extraordinary arch, so my teacher noticed me and made me work even harder that I could.

I cannot say that I have wonderful progress but at least I have some. Now We are preparing to our St.Patrick's show, and I take part in four of our numbers, it is wonderful. So, I completely agree that it is never late to start ballet or dancing in general.

P.S. sorry for my English. I'm working on it and I hope I will improve it one day)))
By thepyonster Comments: 1, member since Mon Apr 09, 2012
On Mon Apr 09, 2012 04:04 AM
I started learning ballet one and a half years ago, when I was 16. I went on pointe after 3 months. I went for the trial class and teacher told me to start at grade 6. One month later I went to grade 7 and im in intermediate now ;) I changed school to one which constantly has productions and I'm currently the lead in Cinderella ;) anything's possible!
of course, alot of determination and practice needed!
I'm 17 now and I've a competition in 5 months! ;)
By Let628 Comments: 7, member since Mon May 07, 2012
On Sat May 26, 2012 08:12 PM
I always wondered if I was too old for ballet. I guess this explains it all!
By TheDancingWriter Comments: 12, member since Thu May 31, 2012
On Thu May 31, 2012 06:54 AM
I started at 20, went en pointe 11 months later but probably could have started earlier since it is assumed adults aren't interested in pointe unless they ask. I dance at two schools, one being strictly Cechetti, and I have dance hours that range from 9-12 hours a week.
By kelekona Comments: 2, member since Sun Jun 24, 2012
On Sun Jun 24, 2012 08:58 PM
Hi im new to these boards recently re started ballet after a 12 year break I am now 24 and honestly best decision ive ever made. I also have fibromyalgia and it has been an excellent way to build up my strength without over doing it.

This lady is in her 80's and can put me to shame! She is a great inspiration. Just type in '86 year old gymnast Germany' into a search engine and you will find it. I realise this is gymnastics and not ballet but i think its a great example of never being too old to start something like this.
By camymac_dancer Comments: 96, member since Sun Jul 01, 2012
On Sun Jul 01, 2012 06:28 PM
Well explained!!!!! Maybe all of those posts will now stop. It's the truth, too!!! Good job, and well spoken, girl.
By Ctine Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 19, 2012
On Thu Jul 12, 2012 02:47 PM
I agree! Dancing is not age restricted, its an art form and anyone can choose to be a part of it! :)
By melanie1945 Comments: 21, member since Thu Jun 11, 2009
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 01:33 PM
This is awesome, and entirely true. I know some of the older ladies at my studio who picked up ballet again absolutely loved it, you're never too old!
By swanQueenNY Comments: 82, member since Mon Jan 14, 2013
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 07:51 PM
anvita1a wrote:

Hey, I would have to disagree with the fact that it might be too late to dance professionally. My experience might be a little irrelevant since I'm not a ballet dancer.

I started learning Bharatnatyam (an Indian form of dance) when I was 5. But by the time I was 12, I got bored, so I quit. I started again when I was 16 but two years later, I moved to Mumbai to pursue modeling and ignored dancing again.

Now I'm 21, I've just started learning Kathak (another Indian TrYform of dance) and my teacher tells me that I have the potential to start performing professionally in a year or two, when it normally takes about 7 years to reach that point.

I don't know about ballet, I've never learnt ballet, but dance is dance, and the same basic principles apply to all forms.

So, basically, what I'm trying to say is, if you have the talent and if you are willing to work hard, its never too late, ever! Just go for it! Pursue your dream, because if you don't, you only have yourself to blame. Don't listen to anyone who says you're too old, because you're never too old! There are zillions of dancers who started late, and are quite successful today! Just google it!

Just go with what your heart says.

I have to agree. I know so many that started late and good paying dance jobs.

When people say, but she's doesn't solo all the time or your company is a smaller one and not that great thats a very ignorant statement.
If you watch the movie center stage, the lead ends up in a smaller company, but she's doing what she wants to do. I still call it a success.
By dancerat47 Comments: 17, member since Sun Mar 17, 2013
On Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:11 PM
I am 47 and just restarted ballet after a 23 year break. I have a great dance teacher who kinda talked me into it. I dance with my 8yr daughter one day a week an adult class and with teenagers in another class. I just want to dance, so it is never to late.
By Balletdancer026 Comments: 32, member since Mon May 06, 2013
On Tue May 07, 2013 02:12 PM
I couldnt agree more! I started at 15 and love it :)
By Danceryo Comments: 22, member since Wed Sep 18, 2013
On Thu Sep 19, 2013 06:48 AM
I totally agree! Anybody can start learning dance at any age! If you're a teenager and have no dance background and wish to learn ballet or jazz etc. You can try those Adult classes!
By Coral_B_2013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 39, member since Mon Sep 30, 2013
On Mon Sep 30, 2013 02:59 AM
I like that. I'm restarting at 29 after having children.
By dorkyxchick Comments: 4, member since Wed Oct 30, 2013
On Wed Oct 30, 2013 07:38 PM
I'm 17 and I have been looking for a dance studio for years so I could dance again like when I was a young child and I finally found one only after I started dating a dancer. He lead me to his studio which just happened to be a perfect fit.
By Dancing30s Comments: 1, member since Thu Jan 30, 2014
On Thu Jan 30, 2014 07:55 PM
Ok, I get it. I am 32 and starting again. But I have a different take on it: expectation. Please please read, watch the 2 short clips and respond.

Hi, I danced from age 3-9 and quit right before I was to go on pointe to pursue gymnastics. Now, I am 32.5 and people tell me I look like a dancer because of my body type but really I am computer riden with tight muscles. I want to change and become a ballet dancer (non professionally) so badly. I just don't know what is possible to set goals on.

I just had my first private lesson with a Russian teacher learning the Vaganova method. She's amazing. I am excited yet still filled with doubt and keep beating myself over the fact that I lost so many year. I beat myself down on not knowing I wanted to pursue ballet into now!

Am I crazy to think that I can get back into ballet at 32? Is it possible to be able to change my body into the links below?

I mean, I know it may be possible but I am struggling with my own expectations. I know it will take a lot of time but I am wondering if it's realistic to think that I can strive to do this:

instagram.com . . .
instagram.com . . .

I joined dance.net to try to seek out other success stories that will help motivate and inspire me of others who started again in their late 20s 30s or even 40s. How far did they go? What are their stories? I need to see how far they have progressed. Any information will help. Thank you!

Never giving up!
By lovedance1501 Comments: 27, member since Mon Jan 06, 2014
On Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:13 PM
maureensiobhan wrote:

Yes, these posts "Am I too old?", "Is it too late?" and "Can I do pointe?" are getting a little tiresome. Please do not ask us. We don't know you, we have never seen you dance, so we can't possibly answer those questions. These are questions that only your teacher can answer.

Words of wisdom ;)
By perfectionpointe Comments: 23, member since Tue Apr 08, 2014
On Fri Apr 25, 2014 03:02 PM
My name's Jazzy, I started ballet last easter just after i turned twelve taking one class a week and absolutely fell in love. about 4 months later, i went en pointe. Now i am thirteen and this year i have my second audition to start training pre professionally at a residential ballet school. it is never too late.
By lalou Comments: 9, member since Wed May 21, 2014
On Wed May 21, 2014 04:51 AM
I love this!
Funny thing, that's what I exactly heard when I started ballet: "You're 24, this is a joke right? You can't even point your toes that good because you had broken feet and toes (due to an accident). How could you even think of dancing?". But I don't care because I recovered and that's what I want to do.
General discouragement can sometimes kill the passion, therefore we need this type of posts. Thank you.
By stageykidkatie14 Comments: 3, member since Mon Jul 28, 2014
On Wed Jul 30, 2014 05:43 AM
I agree with everything you wrote! I quit ballet when i was 8 due to money problems. I then went back this year and my dance teacher let me take grade 1,2 and 3 together. I am now in a class with people my own age working towards grade4. I should be en pointe by the end of 2014.
Page:
Page 8 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch