Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Skating - finances, my parents, school, everything!
By etoile_et_lune
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 01:50 AM

My parents don't really want me to ice skate - my mum hsa this whole "unless you're a size 6 you're not going to make it anywhere" complex and my parents think that my skating is taking time out of my study - they want me to become a lawyer or a doctor, I want to skate with Disney on Ice.

They don't want me to train in afternoons - they think it's waisting valuable study time. I suggested that I train at the 6am-8:30am session, but they wont drive me to the rink and I live to far away to walk or bike ride.

I have 2 jobs to pay for my skating, and it's enough for one 15 minute lesson a week and 2 training sessions. I want to have 2 x 1/2 hour lessons. I want to train 5 times a week. My parents don't pay for anything - I had to buy my skates and pay for my costumes.

I guess this is a bit of a vent, but does anyone have any soloutions? My parents discourage any sports - all of us kids had to give up saturday sports because my mum refused to wake up before 11:30am on a saturday - it's really very frustrating. THIS IS MY DREAM and my parents are destroying it!

14 Replies to Skating - finances, my parents, school, everything!

re: Skating - finances, my parents, school, everything!
By twinkletoes84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 04:49 AM
Edited by twinkletoes84 (84586) on 2006-01-03 04:50:53
hey thats the exact same about that i used to skate for! when i was younger i went once a week. when i got a bit older i skating the exact same amount as you. until i was 16 my mum paid for it except for my skates.... i had to like save up for those like after my birthday and all that..... i'd start saving again straight after i bought a new pair lol!! when i was 16 ... i was still in full time education my mum paid for some and i got a job to pay for the rest. But because my mum was paying for it we missed out on other things... simple things like buying the cheap brands of every food, not buying things ike crisps very often!it was easier though as i'm an only child. even though everyone else had like 8lessons a week and skated like 5times a week, i still loved skating sooo much... i loved it when i was there and even though it was hard paying for it i am so grateful for it. do your parents watch you skate... show them how much you love it!! even if you dont get to skate as much (even if its just til you finish school) you can still have a great time... but show them that... that it is what you love!! i kept it up for 10 years. hope i'm helpful..
love twinkletoes
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:36 AM
This would be a difficult situation for me, especially if i had to pay for it on my own. what our club does is, if we help assist in teaching Canskate, the learn to skate levels we get credits that we can put towards ice time, clothing for the club,and lessons. What i would do if have a time to round up all your pros- and cons of contuiuning figure skating, but if it was your dream to skate with disney on ice, i would stick with it, becuase there are so many parts needed in those ice works. Talk to your parents, sit them down and say ok, listen i have worked out the pros and cons of this situation, and my list was leaning on figure skating.

But the most important thing to do is have a future, my parents are making me this year decide what sports i'm keeping, and what sports i'm letting go. Because next year i will be going into gr 11 and homework is just going to get way more important, especially when i go to private school and my parents are paying all that money for my education.
If you do more then just figure skating, say mom dad, what if I only figure skate and do school, set up a schedule of study time, and if it is not compelete i cant go to skating
etc
-katrina
By Irishqueen
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:48 AM
Sounds like, although your parents love you very much and seem very concerned about your future, they may have an unrealistic view of what students need in this day and age to succeed. If simply telling them how much you love the sport isnt working, try telling them the other ways that skating will be important.
Colleges today (and especially med schools) look for a well rounded person. They do NOT want someone who spends all their time studying. Furthermore, athletics are looked upon as very favorable by college admissions and med schools because they show dedication, work ethic, time management, as well as talent. It can also help get you recruited. Very good schools such as Dartmouth, Columbia, Princeton, University of Miami, and U. of Delaware have competitive skating teams for people of all levels. And while the Ivy League technically can't give scholarships based on athletics, the schools listed above do take you skating ability into account during admissions...especially if you talk to the coach. The other schools may give scholarships, I dont know for sure.
You can most certainly succeed in both school and skating. I was competitive all through elementary school, middle school, and high school and some of college. I skated 7 days a week usually twice a day. I also had 5:30 am practice just like you mentioned. (can you get someone to car pool with you in order to get to the rink? Show up to the rink and talk to people who live near you) Anyway, point being, I skated alot. And I ended up at an Ivy League school (and, ironically, one WITHOUT a skating team) and I'm applying to med school now. So, you can most certainly do it. You just have to work hard...which it seems like you already do :)
Another point to make is that athletics are just plain good for your health...and as a student (especially if you plan on going to med school or law school) you need to be as healthy as possible just to get through it.
Also, just because you want to be a professional skater doesnt mean that you cant ALSO be a doctor or lawyer. Just look at Debbie Thomas or Paul Wylie. Thomas was an olymipian and US champion and she graduated from med school and is now a practicing doctor. Wylie was an olympian and won many championships AND he's a professional show skater and he graduated from law school. Michelle Kwan is in (or just graduated) from college. Alyssa Cizny is currently in college and broke into the senior level by winning the collegiate championships. So it is certainly possible. Skating will even help you to succeed.
Finally, you DONT have to be a size six to go far in skating. One of my close friends is a size ten and she is competing on a collegiate team that just came in in the top three at collegiate nationals...I think she may have also won an individual gold medal.
So, skating will help you get in to college, its good for you, and it is very possible to combine a competitive/professional career with academics.
Hope that helps...and good luck!
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:44 PM
Also in Canada they have execllent school scholarships for figure skating, a boy that went to my school, and skated with recieved a $24,000 Canadian dollars scholarship to go to the university of his choice, and figure skate... Also if your parents don't think you have a future in solo skating, mention to them about synco skating, which many univeristy have to offer, and compete all over the world, etc... synco can also tie into disney on ice, becuase your working with groups of people(Y)
By popergerm
On Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:47 PM
If there is no other way to convince them then tell them you'll make a bet with them and get them to see how good you are. I know that I try to skate on a budget as a recreational speed skater, doing it more for a workout then for compitition. I got cheap hocky skates and had them radiused from a nine to a 13 because I could not afford to buy short track skates, I am not worried about a job as a skater though I just do it for fun.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 05, 2006 09:38 AM
This is going to sound silly, but aim for holiday on ice! They rock much better than disney on ice (in my opinion).
also, if it works out, try gradually increasing your training time and lesson time, so that your body can adapt and you won't crash in school.
all the best :D
On Thu Jan 05, 2006 03:21 PM
yeah i agree with jump..... Holiday on ice are ace!! i love disney too... but go for holiday.... totally your choice though
By etoile_et_lune
On Thu Jan 05, 2006 09:37 PM
What's holiday on ice?
My parents said that if I wanted a career as a skater I would have to leave my school (I'm at a private school) and go to the local government high school. That way I could skate as much as I wanted - the only problem is, if I don't make it as a skater, then I will have wasted a good education. I'm so confused, don't know what to do!!!! Thanks for all your replies.
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 02:43 PM
I went to public school and I turned out okay ;)

Really the difference between education, at least here in the states, is marginal unless you're doing to a college prep school. And even then, school is what you put into it. When you go to college, if you choose to do that, what you learned in a private high school versus a public high school is not that significant.
By etoile_et_lune
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 08:22 PM
No, Sunshine pointe - where I come from you don't do anything in a public school, you'd be better off working and NOT finising school. My school, I just get a very mediocre education. The thing that I'm worried about is that if I don't make it as a skater, then I'm going to have a very poor education behind me and not going to have that good a life, but I don't think I'll make it as a skater if I stay at that school (because my parents want me to get A+ grades).

Update: I got a job as a waitress, I have another job in retail that I've had for a few months and I babysit. I've talked to my coach and he said that I can have 2 lessons a week - I'm making enough for that, but not much more for practice time too - we'll see home it goes!

Thanks for all your support!
On Sat Jan 07, 2006 03:56 AM
hey what country are you from??..... sorry just wondering. heres a link to holiday on ice website......
www.holidayonice.com . . .
On Sun Jan 08, 2006 06:56 PM
I know exactly how you feel, i go to public school, and its either go there, or why bother going to public school, becuase class sizes are smaller, better education, etc... but guess what my school is rounding up competitive figure skaters, which i'm organizing, and where ocmpetiting in a high school invatitaonal and our scfhool is paying for eveyrthing... its a road trip too(Y) but i feel your pain in deciding, i have to decided in the next 2 years what i'm doing with my life:|
On Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:06 PM
I ment to say i go to private school! ahh lol i feel so stupid for saying that, lol and its so late to edit...
i went to public school, and they education is why better in private then public
By ballet_dancer02
On Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:16 PM
OMG! THAT"S LIKE ME! Except I guess I'm really fortunate. My mom keeps saying, you're too old! YOu won't get anywehre! iT's not like you're going to be famous or pro at it! My it's my DREAM! I hate when parents do that. But I'm REALLY thankful that they're still willing to pay for me and drive and all. Thank goodness.

ReplySendWatch