Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: what happened to her ball???
By AnjieAngel
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 03:51 AM
Yes, but unfortunately, she twists in her front splits, and they're not very nice to watch at all... She has talent in sidesplitting, but you clearly see that she's been emphasizing that as well.
By Atoniamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 05:37 AM
i ve just seen the video and i want to apologize: indeed nothing flat with that ball! it is the bouncing when jenny gets it that made this impression.I can just say a word: Esther is a real talented photographer:!!!
By bill777
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 06:03 AM
it seams very strange. But, it is on the photo, may be the ball was damaged. A flat tire, or something ;))
By gorhythmic
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:41 AM
a lot of gymnasts who are first most flexible in side splits must find twisting a very difficult habit to get out of, but it does spoil the line, especially in things like penche's and front balances. but when i go to training today, i will be thinking about jenny and her steady moves to motivate me :P
By AnjieAngel
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 02:20 AM
How many times do we need to say it? Please read the explanations on page 1, then you will see that the ball is only bouncing, and it's a normal thing to do for a ball, physics etc. etc.
By RolyRachel
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:02 AM
Edited by RolyRachel (113836) on 2006-01-12 11:06:55
I simply wanted to find the video and see for myself.Did anyone ever see the pic of Strug in the 96 Olympics team final, where she sat down her vault, and the photogrpaher caught her exactly at the moment of impact?? It wont have been her fave photo, but it was well taken.
By GymLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:30 AM
library.thinkquest.org . . .

that one? Or the real impact with her head still thrown back?
what happen to her ball??
By ArielThomas
On Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:34 AM
weird right????
By RolyRachel
On Fri Jan 13, 2006 09:39 AM
yes yes, thats it. She must have gone down with some force!
On Fri Jan 13, 2006 03:41 PM
If that's the picture you mean that's not her moment of impact. She just falls backwards but it's not like an amzing scary fall she just sits her vault down.

I've cut out the second part of her vault so you can see. The moment of impact itself is slowed down and the video ends with what the picture shows.
Image hotlink - 'http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/633/strug1vl.gif'
By twinkletoes84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 14, 2006 09:51 AM
Edited by twinkletoes84 (84586) on 2006-01-14 09:54:33
Edited by twinkletoes84 (84586) on 2006-01-14 10:05:07
No offense intended to anyone at all, but i feel that some of the comments on here are unnecessary for example, when people say "the ball looks flat" and others say "Its not" and then "how hard is that too believe". The ball has a flat edge to it on the photo and ok maybe there is no way for it to be flat, but for people who dont know the scientific elements or dont know much about RG its not obvious that it can't be flat. Plus everyone should be allowed to give there opinion on it. in regards to the comments when people asks questions that have already been answered, maybe people didnt understand the answers before or didnt have chance to read them or accidently missed a reply and then read it later. But also i have noticed that the people who are getting annoyed about this are the ones that keep reading the same posts even after the question has been answered, therefore why is it such an issue for them, they keep reading it and adding comments the same as everyone else?

sorry guys i hope i havent offended anyone but i know i've made mistakes of asking questions that have been answered before and there is some things that i dont understand and i'd like to think that i could still ask a question and receive some answers.

thanks for reading.

twinkletoes
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 03:10 PM
Only if different people all gave the explanation in different ways and still others say yeah it's probably flat then it seems quite obvious they don't even do the effort to read replies, and that's what a forum is still all about if you ask me discussing something. But 10 times "yeah it's flat" or "can you give me the name of the gymnast" when it's clearly stated above is no discussion at all. And then it gets just a tad bit frustrating when people do the effort of explaining it all and others just don't even take the time to read the replies.
By eozdural
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 09:48 PM
Now I've watched the video and the ball in the picture below seems flat to me still. Honestly, I believe that the video posted is not the exact same routine as the picture. It is the same competition, same outfit, but a different run through.

The reasons the ball seem flat to me are:
1. bouncing balls flatten instantaneously when they hit the ground, and they stay deformed for a very short time period. Also the ball needs a certain amount of force, or momentum to deform it as much as in the picture. So the only things that could have pushed the ball to flatten as in the picture below are I. a fall from a great height. or II. Colino's feet pushing it down. It can't have been I, a fall from a great height because Colino's feet are closed over the ball, and they could not have closed in the instant that the ball was deformed because people cannot move that fast. It can't have been II either because as soon as Colino lifted her feet from the ball it would have gone back to ball shape, so her feet would still have to be on the ball for it to remain flat.

2. I have seen very fast action photographs of balls bouncing and the deformation is not usually in the shape of the ball in the picture. It is usually more symmetrical horizontally.
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:26 PM
so maybe after all i was right? :)
Stop!!!
By RSGVIDEOS
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:14 AM
Sorry if this sound rude, but... I posted the routine and I can guarantee it's the same routine as in the photo because Esther Teijeira was just beside me when the photo was done. Saying that it's not the same routine is simply a lie.

Secondly, the ball was indeed falling from a great height, because Jenni's throw is about 8m high so you can imagine, and yes, she moves very fast, enough to catch the ball with her feet when it falls. And how can she do that? Simply, because she throws so high that he ball takes some time to fall down.

So, no polemic, no doubts, nothing. It's the skill of Esther Teijeira, who took the photo just in the right moment, nothing more.

Anything else is speculation and absurd imaginations.

I was there. Or do you want me to put Jennifer's AA routine also to see that she did exactly the same movement?

Guillermo
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 05:32 AM
I don't get it... You explain yourself that a ball can show this type of impact when it comes from a great height... Have you really watched the video??? It comes from meters above the floor bounces and Jenny catches with her feet.

If you explain how it goes how can you still be in doubt then??

I've made a gif of the element to show once more ... how it goes. Even slowed down the frames when the ball hits the floor and bounces back up. You clearly see how it goes flat against the floor. Whoever is still in doubt after this needs glasses.

Image hotlink - 'http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6103/colinobouncingball6wd.gif'
By gorhythmic
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:51 AM
its funny how people find it so hard to believe, even after the video has been posted, but i will add one more point in hopes of convincing the sceptics - most gymnasts (including me and obviously Colino) dont pump that much air into their ball, just enough and i little bit more so the ball will keep its circular shape while static. but when you touch the ball with a finger, it dents. this is so the ball is easier to hold and if it is dropped accidentally it hopefully wont bounce away too much. she is not using a basket ball - it is a rubber ball with much less air in it, and this is how it looks when it is bounced from a hight.
By Peachy82
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:01 PM
SEE COLINO'S ROUTINE!!!!IT'S AMAZING!!!You find it on rsgvideos.com at the berlin 2005 page under Ball routines.Really great...really good REBOUNCE indeed!!!hehehehe
By eozdural
On Fri Jan 20, 2006 01:58 AM
OK, you have all convinced me. The ball is in mid-bounce, and not flat.

Mind you, the picture must have been taken in the second bounce and not the first because Colino's legs are in a much higher position in the first bounce.
On Fri Jan 20, 2006 02:11 AM
yes with all agree thay her ball was not flat
By donald_duck
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:36 PM
how many posts for a simple answer..

sometimes I fell like the mother of my wife... ;)

ciao
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch Draw