Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Skateing form
By popergerm
On Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:54 PM

Ok I am a recreational speedskater, got hocky skates with a 13 foot turn radius and 1/2 hollow. yet I am haveing trouble with my speed.

I get tips for form from the people around the rink skateing that have been at it a long time, but some of it sounds counter intuitive to speed skating form, aka leaning with a bent back and hands behind you.

i tried to alter my form but each run is inconsistantI cant tell what is giveing my speed or taking it.

I tried sqatting lower, I have tried standing up, I have tried with both arms to accelerate, I have tried one hand, I have tried to sit further back on my heels, I had my blades radiused out and It dont make a bit of differance.

and how do you get low enough in the turns to touch the ice as you turn. is it in the skates or the form?

signed Jeremy the germ

3 Replies to Skateing form

re: Skateing form
By etoile_et_lune
On Thu Jan 05, 2006 05:01 AM
Umm, I'm not sure how much people on here will be able to help you because this is a figure skating board. Perhaps you could go back to your old skates?
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 05, 2006 08:34 AM
Sounds like its the form, although I don't know too much about hockey skates. Your posture on the ice will change because the length of the blade is much shorter than on speedskates. I'd say that it'll just take you some time to make the adjustment but once you do you should be fine. Remember to bend your knees but don't lean as far forward as you do on speedskates....you want to have a more upright body posture.
By popergerm
On Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:52 PM
well the skates I have with the 13 foot turn radius
are my skates I had them straightend out to a 13,

I will try my form again, I dont know perhaps one of the hockyplayers might be able to help me out, by the way I bend my knees low past the "sitting" point sometimes. I dont know perhaps it is because i can not do crossovers when I turn to keep my speed, I dont know but 13 is about the max that a forward playing hocky would have on their blade so the pro shop guy tells me, he said you dont want it too flat if you still want to have a decent turn radius.

By the way I am a runner so doing the running start is no probem for me to get going and comming out of the turn I can accelerate a mesure better then I could before due to the flatter blade. I just cant cut a significant amount of time off my laps thats all.

ReplySendWatch