Forum: Departments / Ballet Department

VIS - Ballet Department
Pre-Pointe: Class #1
By Lonannunielmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 905, member since Tue Dec 21, 2004
On Thu Jan 05, 2006 01:53 PM

Hello everyone!

Welcome to our very first class, sorry it has taken so long.

Happy new years everybody, hopefully we will all have a great year!

Ok, before we begin, how many of you have a theraband/exercise band that you can use at home?

Thanks and I hope you all like the class,

Erin
----------

Feet
Ok, for those of you who already have a theraband on hand, start the class by slowly using the theraband to work through your foot. Slowly go from a flexed foot, to demi pointe, 3/4 pointe and then pointe your foot fully. Do this several times to warm-up your feet.

If you don't have a theraband, you can do the same thing without the band. You won't have the added resistance, but they are still good exercises.

Another very similar exercise: Lay on your back with one leg straight up in the air, 90 degree ankle with the floor. Wrap the theraband around the ball of that foot and pull for resistance. Now, slowly, flex VERY hard, and stretch it all the way, flex, stretch, over and over until it burns. If done properly, this should also give you a good hamstring stretch!

Now, since your feet are nice and warm, put your theraband aside. Sit upright with your knees bent. With your feet pointed, slowly your legs out in front of you, keeping your feet in contact with the floor. Keep sliding your feet along the floor until your legs are straight. The goal is to be able to keep your toes on the ground the whole time! Hold your final position for 30 seconds, slowly flex your feet. Then try the exercise again.

Ankles
Ankle Circles:
In a pike position, slowly do 20 clockwise cirlces. Rest for a moment. Then do 20 counter-clock wise circles.

Wing Exercise:
Keep sitting in the pike position. Pointe your feet as hard as you can, then slowly wing them. Hold for 20-30 seconds. When you wing your feet, make sure to keep pointing your feet. Sometimes, people wing their feet so much, they lose the pointe they had in the beginning. Am I making sense?lol

Calves
Calf Burner:
Go to the barre, or something of similar height. Start off in parallel position. Do 8 sharp and quick eleves. Then turn out to first. Do another set of 8. Turn out to a turned in second postion, do another 8. Finally turn out once more and do another set of 8. Repeat the whole exercise going back to the starting position(parallel). Note: Make sure to really stretch out your calves after this exercise.

Demi-pointe exercises:
1.Stay at the barre for the next few exercises. For this one, start in first position, facing the barre. Slowly tendue to second really trying to work your feet like we did earlier.Instead of lowering your foot, push over onto demi pointe, shifting your weight to the side. Hold for a moment. Center your weight again but try to really keep the high demi-pointe. Tendue back to first. Repeat on the left side. Do the whole exercise a few more times.

2.Keep facing the barre for this exercise. You can do this exercise in just about any postion. Choose one or if your really adventurous, all of them! Plie in your position. Then rise up to demi pointe.Hold. Slowly plie while on demi-pointe. Really feel the stretch here. Hold for a few seconds and then return to your starting position. Repeat 16 times.

Make sure to really stretch out after these exercises.

Now apply everything we have done today while you do 32 changements. Quickly stretch out afterward.

And we are done! Hopefully that was an adequate class. Please let me know if you would like me to add anything for then next class, remove anything? Just general feedback would be nice. :)

Thanks,
Erin

3 Replies to Pre-Pointe: Class #1

re: Pre-Pointe: Class #1
By Margot2 Comments: 519, member since Sun Dec 16, 2001
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:47 AM
Hi!

I really liked the class, but I don´t understnad the ankle circles and the wing exercise. Could you please explain it again to me!!

Thanks, yours margot
By DCDancer274member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 303, member since Wed Aug 11, 2004
On Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:22 AM
Great class thanks.. I'm bascially taking this class for strength and I loved the calf burner.. I love releves and eleves!!
By eclea Comments: 52, member since Fri Feb 24, 2006
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 02:11 PM
You gave a very good and organised class. Thank you. My feet are regaining the inner strength. =))

When is the next one?

ReplySendWatch