Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

stereotypes part II
By cleoNY
On Sat Jan 07, 2006 02:06 PM

Hello everyone, I need your help. I am currently doing a Tahitian solo for a whole dance show. The main leader of this show is rather conservative in costumes she allows people to wear. This definately is causing problems because I want to wear my traditional coconut bra, but she thinks I just want to wear it to be provocative. Absolutely not! Im tempted to tell her if she would rather, I certainly wouldnt mind going topless, because that is the most historical costume of Tahitian dance. I feel like she is just adding onto the whole stereotype of what the coconut bra stands for, drunk girls dancing around to please men. But that is not at all what I am trying to do here. Please, how can I coax her to allow me to wear the coconut bra using historical evidence and arguments, or, if I do lose this horrible battle, does anyone have a suggestion for what I should wear. Thank you all!

7 Replies to stereotypes part II

re: stereotypes part II (karma: 1)
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 07, 2006 04:48 PM
Edited by doomed_fairy (117963) on 2006-01-07 17:00:19
Edited by doomed_fairy (117963) on 2006-01-07 17:00:25
Edited by doomed_fairy (117963) on 2006-01-07 17:00:34
Edited by doomed_fairy (117963) on 2006-01-07 17:01:19
Edited by doomed_fairy (117963) on 2006-01-07 17:01:31
Would she let you wear the coconut bra over a skin-colored cami?

What type of dance are you doing? If it's an Otea, I can see why you want the coconuts. But if you're dancing Ahuroa, the coconuts actually aren't the correct attire. I think it depends somewhat what style you're doing.

But anyway, if you're looking to convince her, there are lots of pictures at Jane's Tahiti homepage thingie: www.janeresture.com . . . and you might find some other costume ideas as well.

Image hotlink - 'http://www.tahitifete.com/Hilo/images/Tamarii_No_Hei_Pua_Ura.jpg'

That's from the Tahiti Fete home page (www.tahitifete.com . . .). It's not traditional at all, but it looks snazzy. :)
re: stereotypes part II
By cleoNY
On Sun Jan 08, 2006 04:13 PM
Yes, Im doing an Otea, and thank you for that website... Im going to go look through it.
re: stereotypes part II (karma: 1)
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 09, 2006 04:53 PM
In a perfect world, we could tell people 'go get stuffed' and that would be enough. But...it sure does hurt when someone has preconceived notions about something and then it becomes attached to us, through no fault of our own. Have you told this woman that the thought that you are 'trying to be provocative' hurts, and that her view is quite prejudiced? Anyhow, a different costume type might be in order, but I think this woman needs to know her 'view' of the world is not correct on this subject and coconut bras were not made to entice men into sinful conduct!!!!
By cleoNY
On Mon Jan 09, 2006 06:34 PM
Exactly, there have been countless times when people have insulted me, women especially, and men hitting on me just because i wear a coconut bra. And the saddest part of this whole thing is, though we of course want to fight back as women expressing themselves culturally, sometimes I just want to give in to stop it. But the show must go on, and so thank you for your comment. It is sad to see us mocked, but sadder the see a culture criticized. I guess thats the battle.
By raqssharkidancer
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 07:29 PM
breath-taking picture!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 04:52 PM
Whatever happened with this situation? Did you ever talk to the lady about her cultural misconceptions? I was ever so curious to know, but since I have been unable to come onto DDN for long stretches of time had not had the chance to ask you.
By cleoNY
On Fri Mar 17, 2006 09:54 AM
Well, I think ill be wearing a pareo for a top, similar to doomedfairys, but tied around the neck instead of the back. She didnt really listen to what I had to say, and only cared about settling the matter. I am a little dissappointed, but the top isnt too bad. Sorry, no happy ending here.

ReplySendWatch