Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

What kind of diet do you skaters have? ANything special?
By etoile_et_lune
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 03:05 AM

This is not a 'I want to lose 20kgs' post, but rather a question of what an average skater eats? I'm just wondering. I usually eat a breakfast of toast and cereal (i'm getting over my crash diet phase), then salad for lunch and tofu and veggies for dinner, but I was wondering if maybe I should up the energy foods because lately I've been feeling really tired on the ice. What do you guys eat?

15 Replies to What kind of diet do you skaters have? ANything special?

re: What kind of diet do you skaters have? ANything special?
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 08:02 AM
You're not eating nearly enough. What you're eating sounds good, but you definitely need more food - as a skater we burn so many calories on the ice that we need to have a heavier diet than most. It seems like you're a vegetarian, so may I suggest incorporating more soy/rice based products and more fruit? Try adding 2-3 more snacks throughout the day - this should help with feeling tired.

As for me, I am trying to lose weight right now - about 35 pounds total - so here's what I eat on a typical day, using today as an example...

Breakfast - Pumpkin Buckwheat Muffin, 1 cup strawberry soy yogurt, half a grapefruit, Gingerbread spice tea with 1 tsp raw sugar
Lunch - Amy's Organic Ravioli bowl, spinach tossed with garlic and an apple
Snack - Cantaloupe (a little over a cup)
Dinner - Baked Chicken Parmesan using all organic, low fat ingredients, 2 oz spinach pasta over a bed of baby spinach (can you tell I like spinach? hehe...last night I had green beans)
Snack - Homemade 100% juice popsicle, Kava tea with no sugar

This is still pretty low in calories so I'm dropping weight, but it still seems like more than what you're eating. So if you're not looking to lose weight I think you should eat a lot more in order to sustain your energy levels. Hope this helps.
By etoile_et_lune
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 05:41 PM
wow, thanks for that post that was REALLY informative. I went through a stressful time befoer and messed with my eating patterns and so that's why maybe I wasn't eating enough. This morning I had a bowl of cereal and a bagel and for lunch maybe I'll have some salad, and I'll add in some afternoon tea. I'll see if I'm feeling more engergetic this afternoon. Do you know how many calories you burn skating? Like per hour. Does anyone else find that particularly when they'er tired or haven't eaten enough that they can't do their spirals very well?
Thanks for the advice,
Victoria
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 06:03 PM
I know that I don't do ANYTHING as well when I don't have carbs (usually cheerios) for breakfast. I NEED that energy food!

Other than that, I eat whatever I want. Just no soda (especially no caffeine- I have caffeinated drinks like once every 3-4 months).
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 07:07 PM
I would imagine - pertaining to calories per hour - it depends on how hard you're skating. I did read somewhere once that ice skating can burn like 600 calories per hour at moderate intensity...I'll have to check on that for you though.
By etoile_et_lune
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 08:59 PM
OMG! Are you serious about that!? That's amazing!!!!!!
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:18 PM
I looked it up, only because I was super curious - go to this link - www.nutristrategy.com . . .

It depends on how much you weigh too - I'm up there in pounds so I burn a lot more calories lol.

It looks like 400 is a better approximation for a smaller person, but still thats pretty good :)
By etoile_et_lune
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:22 PM
Edited by little_voice5689 (125703) on 2006-01-11 21:24:18 found it!
found it! Don't worry, can you remove this post? No question! Thanks for the info sunshine!
By twinkletoes84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 02:55 PM
hey thats an amazing amount of calories. i've never really had a special diet or anything.... but i'm a chocoholic and i used to use skating as an excuse to eat chocolate lol. i used to think that i was going skating so it wouldnt matter if i had a chocolate bar before because i'd burn it off when skating lol! is that really bad???? i'm just such a chocoholic!!!
By twinkletoes84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 02:56 PM
Edited by twinkletoes84 (84586) on 2006-01-12 14:59:35
ok i accidently posted the same comment twice...... dont really know how i did it and dont know how to remove it .... sorry.... so i edited it to explain ooooooopppppppssssss
By Jshbo724
On Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:07 AM
For me, I eat even more than you guys, cause I'm hypoglycemic. (low blood sugar). If I don't keep my levels high enough, I lose energy at a very rapid rate, and at some point, have a chance of passing out if I don't get food fast. I eat about every hour. If I don't I get major headaches. I drink a lot of tea, and I LOVE tomatoes, so I eat a lot of those, and lots of fruits. I'm not a vegetarian, so I do eat some meat, cause I need a good source of protein, I know I can get it from vegetarian foods, it's just easier, LOL.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:42 PM
Oooh wow, those are really fixed diets. I eat almost anything and everything.
Been thinking of sticking to healthier foods and i tried NO Fast Food for about 1 month. That didn't work because we're surrounded by fast food! Horrible.
Any advice?
By seanmharcailinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:25 AM
I think you need a little more variety in your breakfast. some fruit and protein- soy bacon or sausage is a good alternative if you are no meat or eggs.
I usually
By IceSk8
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 07:33 AM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-01-25 17:47:45 Height/weight posts are not allowed on DDN
skate around 10 hours weekly...couple months ago i was strugling to loose 5 lb which i finally did it..considering i am already slim,it bacme quite a task..but i used a a lot of soy as my protine...very low in carbs...a a lot of fruits and veggies as my snacks..it worked for me...normally my day diet would be:

Breakfast: 2 scrumbled eggs with a morning star soy patty
snack: dannon yogurt smoothie
lunch: garden salad ( no meat)+ a fruit
snakck low fat yogurt + fruit
dinner: bowl of cereal and a fruit smoothie or salad with can of tuna or or soy chicken nuggets from morning star...
tht made me drop lots of inches..I am 5.6 and i weight now xxxlb
( of course i have to keep some muscles too..hehehe)
take care
By etoile_et_lune
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 08:09 AM
^if you're allready skinny, why did you want to lose 5lbs????
By lipinskifan4evamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:47 PM
I eat what I want. People say does you mother feed you, because I am so thin, I hate it

Lipinskifan4eva

ReplySendWatch