Forum: Arts / Body Art

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Almost Everything There is to Know About Piercings Part Deux; Piercings, Risks, Cleaning, etc.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:21 AM
For the eyebrow question; Will anything happen? I don't know...it might dry it out and prolong healing. However, I wouldn't keep using it. Antibacterial soap and sea salt soaks are best for new piercings.

EJL, I responded to your PM with my answers on that one. I am just wondering what kind of piercing solution it is and stuff. Soreness just depends on the person.
re: Almost Everything There is to Know About Piercings Part Deux; Piercings, Risks, Cleaning, etc.
By turtlepancakesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 397, member since Sun Dec 03, 2006
On Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:59 PM
Edited by turtlepancakes (171153) on 2007-07-31 22:59:56
this is a great post ( :) ) but i cant say i didnt get totally grossed out by some of the pictures
By Dancerooni Comments: 700, member since Thu Jul 17, 2003
On Wed Dec 26, 2007 01:49 PM
So I called up a piercing parlor I know downtown (Progressive Piercing), one of the most reputable piercers around the Chicagoland area, because I wanted to get my navel done. I originally called to ask for pricing, but I also asked if they sold any piercing aftercare solution, such as saline solution, or sea salt for soaks.

The piercer or assistant I talked to actually said that the only aftercare solutions they sell are an antimicrobial soap, and they say it's not really worth it, except for the first week.

The most interesting thing they told me was that they DON'T recommend sea salt soaks to their clients. Being completely shocked, I asked why not. They said that apparently there've been studies and trials run where they tested the effectiveness of sea salt soaks, and the outcome was that it really did no harm, but did no good, to the piercings. They say leaving it alone and doing sea salt soaks are about the same thing, as long as you keep the piercing clean. They like to go with the "LITHA" method (leave it the hell alone).

Just a little thought to share! Since I've always heard of sea salt soaks to be one of the best methods of cleaning. Guess I was wrong! (In any other case, I would question the piercer's logic, but this man is one of the most well known piercers in Chicago, and is one of the only members in Chicago/IL who's a member of the APP.)
On Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:18 PM
So I went and got my navel pierced today. After I was pierced, I asked him about why he didn't recommend sea salt soaks. His answer goes as follows:

"Well, how would you feel if you put sea salt in your eye? Yeah, it hurts. It irritates it. Your eye is technically an open wound. If the sea salt hurts your eye, what do you think it does to your wound/piercing? The only thing it really does is just dry out the area. It's not proven to be effective, so we just say leave it the hell alone. I'm not saying other artists are wrong when they recommend it, because they're not - that's just what they've learned, and what they do. With my experience in the field, I've just learned over time that it really does nothing with my clients. If anything, NOT doing it helps out the healing process. But - that's just in my experience. "

So, in my opinion - I'll take experience over tradition any day of the week.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:56 PM
^However, that's just one man's opinion.

I've been to many different piercing places.
I've been pierced by a guy working at the number one studio in a big city. This guy is literally a piercing genius who is a perfectionist.
I've also been pierced at an amazing studio in another big city.

All of the piercers I have ever talked to support sea salt soaks.

The APP (Association of Professional Piercers - safepiercing.org) supports sea salt soaks.

Eyes are not open wounds. Eyes are organs.

And if he is using the comparison thinking eyes are open wounds and thus salt water stings eyes...wouldn't that mean that salt water stings new piercings? It's never hurt me. In fact, I've gone without sea salt soaks and then started doing them and right away, my piercing became happier.

There are things piercers don't agree on. Clamps or no clamps. Soap or no soap. What way to actually pierce people. Etc etc. However, I have found that the majority of piercers and people that have a lot of experience in the body modification world support sea salt soaks.

I've done the leave it the hell alone method. I have. And I've noticed that when I actually clean it and take care of it...it heals a hell of a lot better. I know it works for some people, but not everyone.

If you want to go with one piercer's opinion, that's great. But I'd form your own opinion off of more than that.
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 09:05 PM
Edited by Dancerooni (69343) on 2007-12-27 21:11:26
True, but ...

This is a man who also, lives and breathes piercings (much like the piercers you've gone to, I can imagine). He is the only worker in the piercing shop, and works a 1-9 shift 6 days a week. He does everything from standard lobes, to microdermals. He knows what he's doing, and he's had more than enough of experience. Otherwise, he wouldn't be one of the most well known piercers in the Chicagoland area.

I was shocked too when I heard about the sea salt soaks, and that's why I had to have a discussion with him about it. Because, like you POT - I've been to several other piercers before who have recommended sea salt soaks. Literally every aftercare instruction guide on the internet says to do them. Hell, even the APP site included it (which Scott is a part of, if I didn't mention it before).

Yes, the eye is an organ, but it is also an open part of your body, much like a piercing is, just on a much smaller scale... at least when it's healing. (And actually, I've had sea salt soaks sting my piercing before, just to chime in with that. But, everybody's bodies are different, right?) Going on, when I asked Scott, the new piercer I went to, why he doesn't recommend sea salt soaks, he said he too for MANY many years recommended sea salt soaks, like everyone else, but then he went and talked to a medical doctor (I can't remember why, or where), and the medical doctor started to question him on why he recommended sea salt soaks as a mean of healing. Having changed his opinion, he began to leave out the recommendation of doing sea salt soaks, and Scott claimed that over a span of about 5 years or so, telling some clients to do sea salt soaks and some not to, that neither side had a more effective edge. That's why he doesn't believe in sea salt soaks too much, because through HIS individual experience, he's learned that there is no difference with the outcome. I really wish I was more personal with Scott so I can have him do a write up on why he doesn't believe sea salt soaks are necessary (because I am nowhere near "piercing guru" status like he is), but that's what I can remember him saying from memory. It was a huge anecdote, so I shortened it some.

The one thing he stressed was that he doesn't believe sea salt soaks are WRONG, he just thinks they're unnecessary.

I've never had much luck with sea salt soaks, to be honest. As a little personal anecdote, I sea salt soaked my helix spiral for the first month or so, using the right mixture of sea salt vs. water, non-iodized sea salt and all that jazz ... and yeah, it made the piercing feel good at first, but it dried it out HORRIBLE and caused kind of bad scaling. I had to counteract the sea salt with a baby-wash to kind of moisturize the area again. Once I stopped, my ear actually started feeling better, after it kind of self-moisturized itself naturally again by secreting fluids (which I notice increased as I used sea salt soaks).

Everyone's bodies are different, and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that sea salt soaks are a savior to some people when it comes to getting pierced, but I'm just going off of logic right now. I know it's kind of untraditional to go AGAINST the idea of sea salt soaks, but to each their own, right? I just thought this was some interesting new information that I wanted to throw out there. :)
By laurasuzanne2006 Comments: 364, member since Sun May 15, 2005
On Thu Jan 03, 2008 06:21 PM
I feel like this is a really dumb question..but anyway. If piercing guns aren't even ok to do on earlobes...can u take a small child or infant to a piercing place to have their lobes pierced?
By nicolemilito Comments: 1, member since Fri Jan 11, 2008
On Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:46 AM
Ok, so I got my rook pierced about a month and a half ago, and now there is a bubble on the bottom part, and just a little one on the top. How do I get rid of them? PLEASE help me becaue they are really unattractive and I love this piercing, I want to keep it.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:15 PM
^ Nicolemilito, what you have is probably a granuloma, which I believe is scar tissue being pushed out of the hole when you knocked the piercing or whatever. I've had them on my tragus and my nose piercing (my rook has avoided this issue so far!), and they can be caused by something as simple as catching it on your pillow.

My advice is to salt soak with salt water as hot as you can stand it. Keep an eye on it, it should go down in a couple of weeks, so be persistent. If that doesn't help, go ask your piercer.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:49 AM
On the salt soak issue...

When I was pierced by Brian at PE, he subscribed to the "leave it alone" method. Don't get it wet, don't touch it, don't wash it, etc. I got 4 piercings done there and followed his aftercare instructions. Less than a year later, all 4 were gone due to infection or other healing issues.

Listen to your body. If you know you need the extra help like a little soap and a soak, do it. If I had, I'd still have my nose, tragus, and helix piercing. If the "leave it alone" method works for you, then more power to you. I washed and soaked my belly button religiously and it's in great shape over 5 years later. I know how my body works, but I can't tell anyone what's best for them. I can just make a recommendation.

Also, with cartiledge piercings, warm compresses help a ton. Put a warm washcloth in a plastic bag and hold it to the piercing. Ten minutes is usually sufficient. It helps increase circulation, which increases healing. When my friend got her tragus pierced, she'd do it before bed and it really helped her healing process.
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3271, member since Sun Jan 02, 2005
On Tue Feb 12, 2008 01:28 AM
Thanks for the incredibly informative thread!

So, I've got a question ... I've been wondering about a small nose stud. Two things:

I kinda get how the gun works, but I'm not sure I know what the "needle" is. What makes the needle go into the skin? Does the piercer just stab? Or slowly push through--ow ow ow ow! If you could describe or post photos of the needle process, that might help my decision.

Secondly, a friend told me (yeah, I know, friends are always the most reliable source ... ) that you have to have a ring before you can have a stud. I don't want a ring. I just want a teeny-tiny, sparkly diamond. Smallest hole possible. Is this true, that you can't skip straight to the stud?

Thank you so much for the help!
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:42 PM
I hope you mean you get how the gun works as in....you get that it's harmful to your body and won't opt for that option.

Yes, a piercer just pushes the needle through the skin. If you go to someone who is poorly trained then the might slowly push it through. That's why you need to go to a highly qualified professional piercer. It's over within a second.

There are lots of piercing videos on youtube.

And you can have a stud in a fresh nose piercing. In fact, with rings, bacteria has a chance to build up a bit more than with studs. Most people I know get a stud in their nose. I've never worn a ring in mine.
By rachbear73member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4523, member since Tue Mar 07, 2006
On Mon Mar 03, 2008 07:09 AM
excellent sticky

Rach xx
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3271, member since Sun Jan 02, 2005
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 02:01 AM
I did it!

PoT, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your help. Seriously, without this thread, I'd have been lost.
By rachbear73member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4523, member since Tue Mar 07, 2006
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:06 AM
great sticky

had my tragus piercd recently but its gone strange - think mainly cause Ive been poorly

All my others are ok

Rachxxx
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch