Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

So who's watching the Nationals?
By RodneysGlory
On Sat Jan 14, 2006 09:18 PM

So who's watching? What do you think? I'm just about to watch the women's long program and I was a little surprised in the rankings. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

What do we think about Michelle taking an Olympics spot?

21 Replies to So who's watching the Nationals?

re: So who's watching the Nationals?
By etoile_et_lune
On Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:36 PM
We don;t have it here :'( And I have to get upa t 2am for the olympics! But I will do it! Have no fear!
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:40 PM
Ahh the results are out! I didn't get to watch it though. I've been a fan of Bebe Liang since I first saw her skate. Thought she had lots of potential. This time she's third by less than 1 point. :(
Guess we'll have to wait and see about what they say with Kwan's petition. I think she'll get it.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:56 PM
I watched Nationals. Thought it was lovely. Strange how the last few all [one almost] took a spill, or two in Bebe's case. Anyway, I think they all skated nicely.

My take on the Michelle Kwan dilema -
TOO BAD ON YOU!
I've been a Kwan fan since way back in the day when she skated with Tara Lipinsky. But I think that she's way off base saying that she should have a spot on the team even though she didn't skate at nationals. Sasha has the flu, Kimmie has a bad cold, you don't see them complaining. I know she's Michelle Kwan and we all should swoon over her, but all the other girls who competed worked their butts off to get where they are right now and deserve a shot. Sasha, Kimmie and Emily are all wonderful skaters and deserve their spots on the team because they truly won their right to be there. Can you imagine if Emily busted her foot and couldn't skate, do you think anyone would contemplate putting her on the team because she said she thought she should be on it anyway? No way. If they let her on, I'll be really pissed. It's just plain unfair.
By RodneysGlory
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:11 AM
I went onto ESPN2 afterwards and I was looking to see the Olympic team (they said it would be announced there). I must have missed the announcement, but they were scrolling across the screen that the Ladies going to the Olympics were Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan and Kimmie Meissner. It looks like Emily Hughes won't get to go.

I also remember Michelle from when she skated; before Tara Lipinski. I think they let her on the team because she has a better chance of placing than Emily Hughes (in theory). Although her sister Sarah did show us that the 3rd place Nationals winner could be a gold medalist. I will look forward to seeing Michelle and I hope she's up to the challenge and does well. That will prove to all that she deserved to be there.
By seanmharcailinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:22 AM
Here's my take on the Kwan thing.

In 94 she gave up her spot for another skater. Now, we have a veteran, SOLID skater who doesn't make those little mistakes all the 16 year olds do, who is unfortuanteyl injured. They should put Michelle on the team and SEND Emily as an alternate. She should train as if she were going to compete in Turino, that way if Michelle doesn't think she can WIN the gold, she can say "oops- injured" and give the spot to Emily.

apparantly Michelle is going, though. I'm happy about that because I think it is better to have an experienced skater round out the team.
By maureensiobhan
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 09:50 AM
I was happy for Sasha Cohen. She was unquestionably the best. I say it was a little unfair that they took the third place away from Emily Hughes and let Michelle Kwan on the team. If they had to let Michelle Kwan on the team, she should maybe have been sent as an alternate. Maybe it was a publicity stunt for her to say she's been out for most of the season with injuries. That way, she wouldn't have to try to compete on the ice against Sasha. In Torino, she can use the excuse "I'm injured." if she doesn't win the gold. The only reason she's on the team is because she could possibly bring home an Olympic gold medal for the U.S. How else could she possibly all of a sudden be able to skate? Don't get me wrong. I highly respect Michelle's talent. She's one of the best skaters. I had hoped that Alyssa Czizny would be able to get on the team. She's a lovely skater to watch.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:04 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2006-01-15 10:04:48 Spelling.
You send the people that have the best chances of being competative at the Olympics. Kwan would outscore Hughes any day of the week, injured or not in my opinion. The United States isn't going to send someone that has NO chance of bringing home a gold. It's too political, there are sponsors that pay for Olympic athletes to train. You think VISA wants to be represented by Kwan or Hughes??

She is a veteran skater, she has been to the Olympics, she's not going to be alot more consistent at an event like the Olympics than Hughs, plus there is a good chance it'll be Kwan's last Olympics.

Life isn't fair. Kwan has proven herself in the past, and she should get to go.
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 AM
^ not to mention this makes for a great story - now when the Olympics come around I think even more people will be intrigued as to how the skaters will place. For all we know, Kwan could outskate Sasha but Emily Hughes has very little chance of doing so.

A little drama never hurt tv ratings thats for sure.
By puppies_flyPremium member
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 04:52 PM
i only watched the novice ladies, because my friend was competing in it. she got 2nd for her short programme and 4th overall! and she's not even in high school yet.
By Jazz_rosey19
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 05:19 PM
Edited by Jazz_rosey19 (79083) on 2006-01-15 17:20:36 ....now if I could actually spell than it would be all good.
All gotta say to By maureensiobhan comment is "THANK YOU!!!!" I agree FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY someone actually agrees with me for once about Kwan.
*Megan*
(A.K.A. Jazz_rosey19)
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 08:49 PM
Even if Emily does have a lesser chance of bringing back a medal for the US, she worked herself ragged to get that 3rd place - not to mention that her size puts her at such a disadvantage. She won her spot on that team fair and square. I feel horrible for her. The whole politics of it all just isn't right. They should let the poor girl go. Michelle's a vet, she should let the girl have her shot.
By RodneysGlory
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:05 PM
Being the one to step out of the way isn't always a good feeling either. I can see arguments both ways. Both deserve to go. There are always more skaters who deserve to go. I look forward to seeing the Olympics. I'm hoping for a good American showing!
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:11 PM
But that is why some sports allow people to petition. The committee makes the rules. Hughes may be in that situation in a few years and she'll do the same thing. Kwan has worked her butt off to get where she is too.

I am not saying it is fair, I am not saying Hughes doesn't deserve it, but if we were talking about dancers, I'd send the one I know who could get the job done. Hughes will still be around 4 years from now.
By angelicautumn
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 09:03 AM
I watched the nationals. Poor Alissa. She fell 2 times in short and 3 times in free dance. I am happy for Sasha though. She is my favorite skater.
By Jazz_rosey19
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:46 AM
Edited by Jazz_rosey19 (79083) on 2006-01-16 11:48:40
Edited by Jazz_rosey19 (79083) on 2006-01-16 11:51:22
Michelle has worked her butt since when? she has been hurt and not skating for 2 years now and the last time she skated under the new system she never even made it on the podium and there saying "oh well with her we have a shot at a medal", it's like give me a break if they want to base the whole thing on reputation well than look who Emily is related to Sarah the reghning olympic gold medalist, the one and only reason that Michelle is even on the team is because of her rep and that is not fair Emily earned that spot and what did Michelle half to do.... nothing all she needed to do was put a petition and everyone is like "oh my god Michelle Kwan! well she needs to go to the Olympics! because she is Michelle Kwan!" it's like saying if a skater is injured and can't skate it's like saying that's all they half to do if there rep is good enough well then they can go. It's not fair AT ALL! I can only hope they relize what a huge mistake they made after the games.
*Megan*
(A.K.A. Jazz_rosey19)
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:53 PM
I understand your point but ask yourself this - do you REALLY thing Emily is the better skater? Hell, I haven't seen her in any major competitions this year either, aside from nationals. Michelle is the sole reason they even have three spots available for the Olympic team...EVERY skater works hard, they're giving Michele the benefit of the doubt because she has proven herself to be a champion, whereas Emily has not. I was thoroughly disappointed with the level of skating at Nationals aside from Sasha.

In any event, what's done is done and we should support all three skaters going to the Olympics - they all deserve to be there.
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 04:52 PM
Well the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history, Michelle Kwan has won an unprecedented 42 championships, including five World Championships (1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003), seven consecutive and eight overall U.S. Championship titles, (1996, 1998-2004) and two Olympic medals (silver-1998, bronze-2002). In the nearly 100-year history of ladies figure skating, Michelle's five World titles and nine overall world medals (five gold, three silver, 1 bronze) in nine consecutive years (1996-2004) are all marks that have been bettered only by the immortal Sonja Henie of Norway (10 titles/11 medals/11 consecutive years).

She is the only woman in figure skating history to reclaim the World title three times (1998, 2000, 2003). Kwan's seven consecutive U.S. Championship titles (1998-2004) and 11 consecutive U.S. Championship medals (1994-2004) are both U.S. records, and her eight career U.S. titles are second only to the legendary Maribel Vinson, who won 9 titles in the 1920's-30's; and her mark of 11 U.S. medals (8 gold, 3 silver) ties her with Vinson for the most in U.S. skating history.

In her career she has received 50 perfect 6.0 marks in major competitions, the most of any U.S. skater in history, and any singles skater ever. She has been awarded at least one 6.0 in each of the last four U.S. Championships, whis is also a U.S. record. Her winning long and short performances at the 1998 U.S. Championships, where she received 15 perfect 6.0 marks (out of a possible 18) for artistry over the course of the event, is the most by any skater in the history of U.S. Figure Skating.

This is why she got petitioned the committee to be on the team. This is why they allowed her to go. Emily Hughes has not proven herself to be a consistent skater yet, and has no chance of being truly competative with other skaters in the world. If Kwan isn't healthy enough to skate full out by January 27th (I think), then Emily will go.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 04:59 PM
I think Alyssa Czizney (sp?) should have gone. I didn't see Nationals, but I saw where she fell. She was the only American woman doing well in international competition as of December. It's a shame that she didn't place. I thought for sure she'd make it on the team.
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 07:34 PM
Alyssas program wasn't bad but it wasn't the best by far - the falls (I think there was more than one if I remember correctly) totally ruined any chance she had - poor thing.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 07:22 AM
Read an article somewhere, which said that if it were any other sport, the Michelle Kwan (kwantroversy - argh, what a PUN) wouldn't stand a chance. But this is figure skaing, where sagas are abundant, so she has a chance petition, prove her worth.

I'm split in my opinion. On one hand i think shes a super skater, strong, won loads of events, has determination and deserves a chance. especially since what happend to her 2 olympics ago.

on the other hand - Shes been injured, hasnt competed recently, and I've seen her really really tense up under pressure, and yes - what about emily hughes.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see about her fitness level, programme difficulty and her final decision.
By Jazz_rosey19
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 04:37 PM
Edited by Jazz_rosey19 (79083) on 2006-01-17 16:40:31
See what bugs me about this whole thing is yeah I know Emily has MANY more chances to go to the Olympic games I understand that but it doesn't seem fair that after all the hard work and effort she went into even the bronze at Nationals and not even getting the chance to go because of Michelle, and who is to say that Emily would be going if Michelle had skated or the same with Michelle? you know what I mean? but it still makes me mad that it seems like Emily worked her butt off and Michelle got the chance of a lifetime and Emily is left with nothing. I am sorry but I just can't support Michelle because I don't think she should be there, I'm sorry it's the way I feel in my heart and if this does offend ANYONE I'm sorry I didn't mean to but it's how I feel and it is sad Michelle has a had a incredible career I'm not denying that but I it just doesn't seem fair.
*Megan*
(A.K.A. Jazz_rosey19)

ReplySendWatch