Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

RG help with ballet?
By reedville_qtmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:58 PM

Well, I am a late starter with ballet. I started when I turned 15 and Im now almost 17. My question is do you all think that maybe taking a summer of RG would help with ballet? My logic seems to tell me that all that stretching would help my extention and some muscle developement as well. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Also, what is the difference training wise between RG and regular gymnastics? If it is just for stretching purposes and extention, would RG be better, or would regular gymnastics be just as good? Thanks for your help!

2 Replies to RG help with ballet?

re: RG help with ballet?
By Atoniamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 06:35 AM
i have no idea in fact but i had a girl friend that was a ballet dancer and she always told me that Rg even if it looks like Classical ballet as nothing to do with it.Why,? Because a lot that all the balances position are not opened legged.. and that most of the stretches are mores closs t ocontortionism than classical techniques.

I think to practose Rg will mostly open your mind on originality through all types of movements that actually in classical don t really change.
re: RG help with ballet?
By GymLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:52 AM
If it is for stretching and getting more flexibility sure why not.

You will probably notice that most rhythmic gymnasts don't really pay much attention though to the basic ballet principles of turning out and squaring your hips. But as long as you take this into consideration for your ballet classes it's perfect. There are ballet dancers who also take rhythmic gymnastics.

You will probably get a way better extension indeeds. Imo the leaps of rhythmic gymnasts are also more beautiful than those of ballet dancers (and that doesn't mean you have to leap 200° and more). Nowadays you do see more dancers with the amplitude of a gymnast in their balances especially amongst the Russian Dancers. Of course when you hold your leg at about 180° it's nearly impossible to keep squaring your hips even for ballet dancers.

ReplySendWatch