Forum: General / Administrative

Administrative
The How/Why/What of being BANNED. (karma: 10)
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:52 AM
Moved to Administrative by Theresa (28613) on 2006-01-30 22:37:17 moved
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-01-30 22:40:48

This might be a bit useful to the newer members, or even the older ones who aren't aware of warnings and bans on this site.

I've just gotten a warning...Now what?

Warnings are statements issued to members as a notice that they've have done something wrong, and is giving them another chance to redeem themselves as members.

Members are usually given 3 warnings before they are banned. Sometimes warnings can be written and just a big No No, or they can be issued as Temporary 24/48 hour bans. This means they will be logged out and no longer able to sign into their account until their suspension is up.

If you get a warning, and your not exactly why, PM a mod. Generally, people will get warnings for Excessive netspeak, excessive star farming, lying (flat out full blown lying...mainly leading people on), being stalkerish, harrassing other members and other general naughty stuff.

But! I didn't mean to!

Generally when you get banned, your allowed to fill out a section in which you can try to explain yourself. That is, if your banned for Lying, you can in that section explain your reasonings etc etc, and SOEMTIMES (SOMETIMES) you will be allowed to return.

Being banned for "Must Salute" Icon

Many members have been banned for not saluting and consistantly putting up photos of themselves. Do yourselves a favour, if you plan on posting photos of yourself do a salute. Its very simple, and all instructions can be found on the DDN Salutes page.

If you put up photos of yourself and do not salute, the Mods can contact you and ask for a salute. They will give you a deadline to have one by (they negotiate with time depending on if you have a digital camera/scanning facilities etc etc) and if you haven't posted one by then, you will be banned.

If I get banned...Can I ever come back?

Well,you could if you created another account. However, since the tales of DancinMonkey, we have quite a few trained eyes that catch the returning banned members. Also, Mods can find out via IP Addresses. If your found to be a returning banned member, you will once again be banned immediatley.

Got a problem with someone being banned?
The best bet is to POLITLEY PM a mod, explain why you think its unfair and give evidence. You can't just say "Cause she was nice to me!!". Sure, she may of been nice to you but the mods may have proof that wshe was harrassing another member.

If its a big deal, a post will be made about the ban on the Administration board. Regular members cannot post here, only Mods can. Regular members may reply to the thread but not create one.

So there it is...

A basic guide to banning. This doesnt mean you can all start doing stuff to get banned, cause thats just Lame and Annoying.

14 Replies to The How/Why/What of being BANNED.

re: The How/Why/What of being BANNED. (karma: 2)
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Wed Jan 18, 2006 05:34 AM
There´s something very important that should be added:

As long as you´re friendly to other members, as long as you´re yourself and as long as you try to follow the rules as best as you can you´re not going to be banned!
If you receive a Mod-report that happened to one of your posts, don´t be scared. In most cases it´s nothing bad, it´s only a removing of a double post, moving to a different board or maybe you thread was made to a sticky (which is even something positive!) etc. This does NOT count as a warning and NOTHING will happen to you.
If you did something wrong, apologise and in nearly all cases everyone will forgive you.

The Mods here are not evil. They do give you several chances, they do tell you nicely if you did something wrong and give you the chance to do it better next time.
You´ll only be banned if you don´t listen to several warnings.

Kathy
re: The How/Why/What of being BANNED. (karma: 3)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:12 PM
Under the section of "But I didn't mean to!" I'd like to add a couple of things:

1)In 8 out of 10 cases, the mods won't respond to your appeal. Don't send a new appeal every 15 seconds. We got the first one, we just didn't feel the need to respond.

2)Do not threaten us, swear at us, or tell us how unimportant we are to you in your appeal. We don't care. We don't know you. We're not going to be losing alot of sleep over the fact that someone that we don't know, and will never meet says that we're idiots and that they're going to beat us up.

3)When you are banned, you are actually able to read the reason why. Please do so. I couldn't even begin to count the number of people that we've banned for netspeak, and they're appeal has said "wut culd i hav dun? i m a gud membr of dance.net." Well you know, you could be the greatest member ever. Although, given that you can't read and comprehend the word "netspeak", I'm betting against that.

I'll stop ranting. :D

t
re: The How/Why/What of being BANNED.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Wed Jan 18, 2006 07:19 PM
Ummmm, may I suggest that this be made a sticky? I feel that this would certainly help those who don't understand why they're getting warnings, being placed on Temp bans, etc.

On a different note, I attended a resume workshop where one guy mentioned in his skill set that he was "fluent" in both olde and middle English. As in, what??

So, maybe if Netspeak ain't enough, we can paraphrase in Ye Olde English -- aka Shakespeare?

Funning over,

Shadow.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Thu Jan 19, 2006 02:35 AM
^ I actually wanted it to be posted in thr Admin section, where all the other bannings are...but not sure.
By Ferrari_Girlsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4574, member since Wed May 18, 2005
On Thu Jan 19, 2006 03:00 AM
Just wondering, if someone is banned permanently - is there ever any chance of them getting back on - if they are really sorry, I would hate that to happen to me (I've not been banned) I would miss dance.net so much, I just know someone (only through being on here) and wondered what the situation is, can she only read now and not contribute?

Love Debbie xx
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Thu Jan 19, 2006 06:35 PM
I like the idea of stickyness, and in the admin forum is a good idea, because then people might find it better. (A lot of people don't know tell ddn exists, and the admin forum is where people get sent when they ask Why did so and so disappear?!?!)

But yeah, some good info... anyways, I'm off, am tired.
re: The How/Why/What of being BANNED. (karma: 1)
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Thu Jan 19, 2006 08:31 PM
Shadowsong, Shakespeare is Modern English!

Old and Middle English are like a foreign language - the vowels don't sound the same and everything. Old English is closer to German than English.

Hehe, nitpicky, I hate when people make that mistake though.

/hijack.

And stickiness would be cool.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:36 PM
Hmmm...Debbie, I could have sworn I answered your question already, but maybe I'm just crazy. Who knows?

I've been a mod for...two years (I think...two and some change, maybe), and I've seen two people that have been brought back from a permanent ban. So the chances are extremely slim.
By MisS_sHoNa Comments: 478, member since Sun May 30, 2004
On Fri Mar 17, 2006 04:02 AM
thanks for the information! i havent been in this area before and its actually quite interesting to see how everything is run!

shona :)
By mingkate14 Comments: 8, member since Fri Jan 25, 2008
On Sun Feb 03, 2008 06:24 PM
I paid my money to be a member, they took my money and I am not a member or in the directory. It has bee two weeks. Now what do i do????
By MelleLuvsDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 391, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Sat Jul 25, 2009 05:56 PM
I've been trying to figure out how to delete my account but haven't had any success (I'm assuming that perhaps there's no way to delete an account?), so if a mod could be so kind as to ban me, I'd really appreciate it :P
Yes, I understand how bizarre that may sound.

Also, if I do choose to make another account sometime in the future, having this account banned won't affect me being able to, right?
By minitutus Comments: 19, member since Sun Dec 27, 2009
On Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 AM
Hi there
in reply to your comments, can you please tell me what is a salute. I don't want to get banned before i get full membership status! thanks for reading.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 AM
Submit a picture of yourself holding LINED notebook paper with your username @dance.net handwritten on it here: www.dance.net . . .

A mod will check to make sure we can clearly see your face and hand holding the lined paper and grant you an eye icon. It means that you can now post pictures of yourself on the website. You will not get banned for not submitting a salute - however if you want to post pictures of yourself you will need to. The mods take down pictures people post of themselves when they have not saluted. :)
By samson2 Comments: 21, member since Fri May 11, 2012
On Mon Jun 11, 2012 04:37 PM
as you are nice and dont put anything nasty down you would not get banned so be careful what you write

ReplySendWatch