Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

A question about music choices and moves
By SoccerJock
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 01:52 AM

I have a question for all members of a school dance team...

At every basketball game at my college, the dance team performs during halftime. I have noticed(and been tortured by the fact) that they constantly choose hip hop music to dance to(Chris Brown - Run It, Missy Elliott - Lose Control) but never actually DANCE hip hop. Is there any particular reason that you guys think this is happening? Don't you think that a dance team should pick music that matches their style of dancing?

Any constructive responses would be much appreciated.

Shawn

7 Replies to A question about music choices and moves

re: A question about music choices and moves
By darn_meg
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 07:48 AM
I know on our school dance team hi hop music is always the easiest thing to dance to and it gets a crowd excited while hip hop dance doen't use a lot of skills or ticks and will not get a crowd or players excited like jazz will with the c jumps and tourjettes and axels and foettes. hip hop is fun to watch but in my opinion I would much rather se a girl with real skill and dance a bility that a girl who is just a great dancer. When you watch cheerleaders the thing that most ppl like to see the most are gymnastics and stunts because it is not seen often and i think that is the same logic with dance.
By mishelliedancer
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 04:58 PM
At our school whenever we decided to do a "jazz dance" we end up looking... corny... mostly becasue we don't know how to coreograph jazz. However with hiphop we generally end up with a combination of cute jazz moves, with a little hip hop thrown in, and then we generally have a few... tricks... triples russians fouettes etc thrown in too.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 05:02 PM
Sometimes, that helps to catch the audience's attention. Our dance team is not supported by our shcool. We're good, but there's definitely a negative vibe. We were actually booed once.

So we choose music carefully, hoping that if we choose music the students like, they might like us.
Thanks
By SoccerJock
On Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies!
basketball games
By xoxodancexoxo
On Thu Feb 02, 2006 08:15 AM
well i know where ur comming from my dance team always wantes to dance hip-hop at the basketball games. So yea ur not the only one lol, but i think mainly why a lot of people like to dance hip-hop at basketball games is to get the crowd pumped up. I mean it is a basketball game. Dont you think people would want to see hip-hop at a basketball game then jazz or any other kind of dance.
Re: a ?
By SoccerJock
On Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:39 PM
Well, yeah, it makes sense to dance hip hop at the games, but our team dances jazz dance TO hip hop...so it's a little awkward to watch.
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 08, 2006 06:20 PM
That would be kind of ackward to see jazz dancing to hip hop music.

Chances are who ever is doing the choregraphy doesn't know hip hop. They probably never broke out of their jazz sytle to study the other forms of dance.

Our girls dance to everything. the same old hip hop at every game gets old fast.

Hopefully, when your season changes and new team members are selected they will get someone on there with a little more dance background in choregraphy.

Not everyone can do choregraphy. A lot want to do it - or think they can, and really don't have a clue. That kind of sounds like what you are up against.

Let the new season turn and see if the dance style changes any. If it does, it's the choregrapher.

Hope you win at your games.

Chow
TEAM_MOM

ReplySendWatch