Poll: Adults / 40 Something

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Are you what you wanted to be when you grew up? (karma: 1)
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2317, member since Wed Jul 20, 2005
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 08:13 AM

maybe explain what you wanted to be and what you are. maybe why you arent what you wanted to be when you grew up and if you are still satisfied with your job or career.

54 Replies to Are you what you wanted to be when you grew up?

re: Are you what you wanted to be when you grew up?
By dangslowmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3641, member since Mon Jul 07, 2003
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 03:08 AM
I wanted to be a Mountain Man. I liked the idea of doing whatever my crude heart wanted to do, whenever I wanted to do it. No laws for the law abiding, no asylums for the insane, just a great big nothing in which I could do everything. Then I found out they slept outside in the snow...
I'm a Machinist now, and it rocks! It has many of the benefits of being a Mountain man but with fewer guns and Indians.
I have no regrets at all. I've always believed if you just be yourself, your career will find you, instead of the other way around. I'm pretty lucky it did too...
Are you what you wanted to be when you grew up?
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Jan 27, 2006 03:36 PM
When I was young I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. But now that I'm here I'm doing exactly what I would have said I wanted to do had I known it - does that make sense? :)

I'm a wife and a mom. I'm a teacher - I homeschool my son. I'm learning to be a ballet teacher. It's all good!
By rallyhopbackPremium member Comments: 2969, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Tue Jan 31, 2006 01:17 PM
I'm neither a cowboy nor a 3rd grade teacher.
But I'd still like to be a cowboy someday.

Growing up in a urban area didn't allow for much cowboy training. Every summer I begged my parents to send me to horse camp, but no joy.
I rode my first trail horse at the age of 8, my second at age 10, my third at age 15, and didn't ride again until I was 20 when I rode nearly every weekend for one summer. Then I moved back to the city.

Somewhere there is a photo of me at the age of 5 or 6, sitting on a shaggy Shetland pony in my front yard. I even got to wear a suede vest and a hat! Between that and reading books about cowboys I was hooked.
Did you have a guy who wander through the neighborhoods in the summer taking photos of kids on a pony? I remember it was very, very exciting and always unexpected.

As for being a teacher; once I got out of high school I jointed the military and had no desire or funds to attend college. Plus I've realized that I tire of children pretty easily.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:05 PM
I wanted to be a performer [sing, dance, act one or all of these], teacher, and psychologist.

I never got to do any of these professionally, but I did graduate at 44 with a honors degree in psychology. I've done some theatre, but not recently, and I'm back in ballet after 20 years away at 45 years old. :D

PS I'm a wife, mother, entrepreuner [own two businesses] and perpetual student.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:34 PM
My mom always used to say that I never said what I wanted to be when I grew up. I guess people used to ask and I never said or I said I didn't know. I always remember watching a TV commercial in the 60's of a woman making a bed. The sky outside the window was a beautiful blue and the window was open and a breeze was coming through. I remember thinking that will be me someday. It never happened. I mean I never got married so I wasn't making the bed in my home with my husband and kids.
Can you believe that I am 51 years old and I still don't know what I want to do with my life? I am a permanent substitute preschool teacher who works for Head Start. I like my job and I love the kids but the pay stinks and I have no benifits. I'd love to be able to do my crafts full time and make money that way but I don't see that as ever happening. I'll probably die still not knowing what I want to do with my life! LOL
By JazzinToo Comments: 71, member since Wed Jul 14, 2004
On Sat Feb 04, 2006 02:28 AM
I wanted to be a Music Teacher...I actually did go on to get a Masters in Music Education, and taught for ten years. I loved it, but found that I couldn't support my family on such a meager salary. I then went into the oil refining business...tripled my salary the day I started. The work isn't fun, but pays really well! I suppose you could say that I did become what I wanted to be, as I still have my hand in the music business, and my kids are Highland/Irish Dancers, but at the same time I didn't want to be a Refinery Operator either.

JazzinToo
what to be when grown up
By Bailarina29 Comments: 41, member since Mon Sep 13, 2004
On Wed Feb 22, 2006 08:22 PM
Well, life has many different paths...I guess that Some things I have done and I am happy for...I would have liked to perform a lot more...And I guess still look forward to more performances...just now as a "mature" dancer/actress/vocalist. Some things that happened along the way were pleasant surprizes, some not but all lessons in accepting growth, change and getting older.
By dreamie Comments: 44, member since Wed Mar 15, 2006
On Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:22 AM
Edited by dreamie (153711) on 2006-04-09 11:25:58 misspelling dangslow, I wrote dansglow - sorry
I am a mom, that is what I always wanted to be! I have 2 boys ages 18 and 13, I homeschool both of them, have from the beginning. I also have a 27 year old step daughter whom I have considered my own daughter since she was 12.

I struggled at the beginning of motherhood because in the 1980's you were expected to do it all, be a career woman, wife, mother - everything. I was 26 when I had my first child and selling real estate - hated the job, loved being a mom.

Dangslow - I wanted to be a mountain woman when I grew up, I spent a lot of time watching Jeremiah Johnson LOL.

Julie
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu May 04, 2006 09:48 PM
I knew I didn't want to be ordinary and now I find that is exactly what I am. Just a regular mom that helps at school and other groups and gets on my kids nerves and rates second to my husbands' job.
I wanted to be a performer when I was younger, but that didn't happen. Don't even get to do community theater stuff because it gets in the way of my kids' schedules. I still like to go see performances - music, dance, plays, movies.
Maybe when the kids are grown (five more years) I can do more for me. Go back to school, travel, something.
Meanwhile, family first!
By lege Comments: 48, member since Fri Apr 28, 2006
On Wed Jun 28, 2006 08:38 AM
When I was 15 it was either a teacher or a hairdresser ,but my parents went bankrupt in a business venture and I was pulled out of school to help them out ,I have no regrets as it changed my life to go down another path,I met my husband and married at 17 had my first child a girl at 18 then had 2 sons ,my daughter started dancing when she was 3 as she showed a lot of potential .I had to start sewing her costumes as it started to become quite expensive and found I had a natural flair for designing and drafting patterns ,this led me to my own business as a costume deigner which I have been doing now for 25 years ,My kids have all grown up my daughter owns her own dance studio now and takes shows over seas ,I have 3 beautiful grankids ,Life couldn't be better for me and yes I'm still married to the same man ,so thanks mum and dad
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Wed Jun 28, 2006 04:32 PM
If you read the caption under my yearbook picture, it reads Psychology degree. However, I worked for a medical journal for 17 years, then I was a business consultant for 3 years, then I started two companies, and put myself through college....with an honor's degree in psychology at 44 years of age. So I had a 26 year career FIRST, then I went to college to get my degree.
By exgymcoach Comments: 64, member since Sun Apr 30, 2006
On Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:19 AM
I must class myself as Mr no ambition as i have only wanted to be one thing is a role model to my kids ... in that respect of teaching them to respect others no matter what and the most important value you can have MANNERS ..with that one thing plus a nice smile...whatever else comes next is a bounus ooops forgot health lol ... oh i forgot to win lottery might help as for work overated pastime :D:D
By TapizoidPremium member Comments: 438, member since Fri Jun 30, 2006
On Sat Jul 08, 2006 05:52 AM
I had a childhood dream that changed when I was a teenager. It's a long story but between 10 and 14 I wanted to go to seminary and become a pastor. But at 17 I completely revelled and decided to become a firefighter.

Just retired from the fire department now... and going to seminary!

I guess I could vote "yes" on two counts. But prob'ly "no" on wishing I could be a pro dancer.
By philycheesesteakPremium member Comments: 237, member since Sun Jul 23, 2006
On Sun Jul 23, 2006 07:17 PM
When i was 5 my mom enrolled me in dance. Tumbling really. And took it for a few years and danced a little but then i gave it up due to peer pressure. I wish i had stuck with it. I didnt but i do take ballet and tap each twice a week now and love it. I voted no because i bet i could have really been a good dancer but at least now i am taking dance a little now and am pretty happy about it. Peace and love, phil
By tennisgirl4dance Comments: 623, member since Wed Feb 09, 2005
On Mon Jul 24, 2006 03:55 PM
I was constantly changing what I wanted to be...teacher, psychologist, police officer (like Cagney & Lacey!), private detective (charlie's Angels), Cruise director (Love Boat), lawyer, television news anchor... but mostly I always wanted to be a lounge singer...laying on a piano singing sultry love songs in a sexy dress. OH well... I am a wife and mother of an almost 17 year old tennis player. Oh yeah, I also own my dance studio which kind of happened by accident. It was never really my dream. But I like it.
re: Are you what you wanted to be when you grew up? (karma: 1)
By NZDanzer Comments: 27, member since Fri Aug 12, 2005
On Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:30 AM
No I am not what I wanted to be. I wanted to be a professional ballet dancer. But I obviously didn't know myself all that well. Everyone kept telling me that you had to be disciplined and very dedicated to be a ballet dancer. This would annoy the hell out of me because of course, I knew that! But it wasn't until I actually got to professional full-time dance school that I realised that I wasn't as disciplined as I'd have liked to be. Years later and several careers later (cabaret dancer, flight attendant, educational psychologist, mother of two) I am now an Editor of a national dance magazine. I feel I am totally in my element and doing exactly what I should be - so it doesn't matter anymore that I didn't become what I wanted to be when I was younger!
By balletchtPremium member Comments: 68, member since Thu Oct 19, 2006
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 04:34 PM
I started wanting to be a ballet dancer. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the training, I started late, and lacked the funds to pay for lessons. My parents thought being a dancer was a crazy idea, so I didn't get much encouragement either. I also struggled to keep my weight down.
So I went to school and became a physical therapist and then I went nuts and starting taking four classes a week for a while since I finally could pay for my own lessons.
I gave up dance when I went back to grad school, until now. Suddenly I am starting to get involved in it again in my 40's. Thus far, I am really happy about it. I am glad though that things turned out the way they did, because I am really happy with my career as well. I am glad I can dance now just for me and I know who I am at this age and don't feel so pressured about starving myself.
By Bart243 Comments: 442, member since Tue Jan 20, 2004
On Wed Nov 01, 2006 02:15 PM
I haven't even come CLOSE! Growing up, I focused my attention (and dreams) on becoming an astronaut. I wanted to get there via becoming a Navy fighter pilot. In my first year of college, I was found to be too tall to be an aviator (they have height restrictions) and fell into a huge depression. Of course, I ignored that the odds of me becoming a professional athlete (asthma and all) were better than those of becoming an astronaut. I think that goal helped me to survive a childhood and adolescence where I was abused physically and mentally.

Anyway, I went to film school and had/have a career in the film and video industry. In my film archival career, ironically, I worked on the original negative to 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. So, it all came around.

Now, I'm working fulltime for a cable TV network, and going to graduate school to get my Masters in counseling.
By steve90 Comments: 20, member since Fri Oct 13, 2006
On Thu Nov 02, 2006 05:55 PM
I agree..what I wanted to be when I grew up changed so many times, I really couldn't go wrong.
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Sat Dec 02, 2006 09:10 PM
No, I'm not. But I came close!

All I ever wanted to be was a physician, but after leaving home--and financial security--at 16 (very long story) I really wasn't sure what I'd end up doing. Several years later, after having more ups and downs than some do in an entire lifetime--including a long, near-fatal illness--I decided I wanted to go to college. So, in my mid-20s, having been married for years and with a child in third grade, I took the plunge, albeit with much apprehension. I felt SO OLD (which of course is laughable when I look back on it now), and didn't give ANY thought to pursuing medicine at that point. I just thought I'd start taking general courses and figure it out as I went along.

After my first semester, I realized that I WASN'T too old to pursue medicine, nor was I as brain-dead as I had feared!, so I declared my major and began taking pre-med classes in earnest. It was definitely not easy, but I loved [almost] every second of it. My husband and I both worked--he sometimes worked two jobs--so we could keep our household going, provide for our daughter, and pay for my education as we went along. I'm really not sure HOW, but I managed to remain an "A" student, with honors, and finally I was ready to apply to medical school. That's when life intervened!

I had several reasons for deciding not to continue, but the short version is that I decided to take a little time off to just regroup after all the pressure, and ended up taking a different path. I had an amazing opportunity at the furniture store chain I'd been working at while in school, and I took it. I taught myself programming and system administration, and I oversaw the company's transition from their old mainframe computer to a multi-location, multi-user UNIX system. I did all the programming and sysadmin stuff for this company and I absolutely LOVED it. After a while I realized that I was never going to go back to get my MD.

Looking back, I do at times feel a little wistful about it. Programming/sysadmin have been VERY good to me, and for the most part I've felt satisfied by what I do. But every once in a while I find myself regretting my decision because, let's face it, I was supposed to be saving people's lives...not people's data. :O

I still stay VERY informed and I guess it shows, because I'm able to speak intelligently with my relatives and friends [who are physicians/dentists] and my personal physicians. They know I understand what they're talking about and they respect that, but I know that they know a lot more than I do, and I respect THAT. :D
By Wonderment Comments: 70, member since Tue Oct 03, 2006
On Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:02 PM
Well, I am sure that in a place like this it is not so surprising that my first career aspiration was to be a ballerina. I even dressed as one for career day in kindergarten. Fortunately, that ambition did not last much longer than kindergarten. I say fortunately because I don't think I would be suited to the life of a professional dancer, that and I'm definitely tall enough for it to have been a challenge.

In first grade I set a more realistic goal: a teacher. I wandered from that many times but I always came back to it. Guess what I do now? Yep, I am a teacher. I teach special ed, though, which I never would have dreamed of as a child, but I love it. I always thought I would teach kindgergarten... turns out I hate working with grades K-1. I like 2-4 the best! And I am dancing ballet again, so I guess I sort of fulfilled the first goal, even if it isn't professional!! :)
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:02 PM
Yes!! I wanted to be an adult!!!

LOL

I always thought teacher but did not realize it would be dance teacher.

I also wanted to be a mother and grandmother.

So I guess all four came true.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon Oct 29, 2007 02:43 PM
Well I AM all grown up and I've been through a career and I'm now retired...for the last 8 years. Never in a million years would I have dreamed that I would end up doing what actually became my career.

In high school (early) I figured I wanted to be an electrical engineer, mainly because I had a radio license from an early age (13). I then realized that my math skills were rather suspect even though I did take it through college calculus. Everything else in school came easy to me, but I was just not a natural at Math. (I should have had Math Lover who posts here, or someone like Danica McKellar (Winnie in "The Wonder Years") who just wrote a book called "Math Doesn't Suck.

Then I wanted to be a Social Studies teacher but the doofus who was our high school guidance type said that field was overcrowded. So I then wanted to be a Science teacher, but I found that my best grades were in English and French, so I was going to be a teacher of those subjects.

They a funny thing happened... In the fall of my Senior Year of college I got a phone call from a government type.

"Mr. Teske?"

"Yes"

"I hear that you are a Foreign Language major"

"Yes"

"I understand you are a male foreign language major"

"Obviously"

"Your [gay] professor tells me you are a straight male
foreign language major."

"Well Yeah, I'm engaged to a young lady and that professor knows
about my engagement because I deliberately introduced my fiancee to him so he would stop making subtle overtures to me."

"Uncle Sam needs YOU." In those days, it was not possible for a gay person to get a security clearance...they thought it made a person open to blackmail; and they rather overtly discriminated against women, and did almost every other profession other than teaching or nursing. (Those two lines of discrimination are long gone BTW. My agency has a GLBT club and several woman have become the Deputy Director (the highest civilian position we had) and over 50% of our higher executives were women at the time I retired. My grapevine tells me this is still true.

At that time, I didn't even know that the work they had in mind was intelligence related and I had never heard of the agency I went to work for. All I knew was that it was language related and it had a starting salary almost twice what teachers were then making.

And so began my 35 year career in the "spy" business. [It wasn't really like James Bond.]

Now that I am retired from this...and I really enjoyed my career...I am again figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. For the most part, I have been very busy being a concert violinist, something I had always done, but afraid to pursue it as a profession, in part because I didn't have really good instruction until I went to college and that was far too old to consider it as a career. Now, I am financially secure enough that money is of little concern to me (I have a great pension and I married well :) ) so I can do this and not be concerned of any financial consequences. I have many other hobbies as well, one being the formerly lucrative photography which I did part time, but with great financial success. I don't do it for money anymore, but I enjoy doing it.

I did finally become a teacher though...I taught photography as an adult ed instructor and my last assignment in my career, I taught a course which I devised to introduce new employees to the "real" work of my agency. I actually "unretired" to take on that assignment and worked nearly three years beyond my eligibility to retire.

Jon
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Tue Oct 30, 2007 07:58 AM
Wow, Jon! What a story!! I love it!
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch