Poll: Adults / 40 Something

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Are you what you wanted to be when you grew up?
By enlair89 Comments: 828, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:53 PM
Let's see...when I was a child I wanted to be President, an astronaut and a professional football player. I also thought about becoming an attorney when I was a teenager...

I'm now a copy editor and single parent raising 2 teenagers. I've been a journalist, pastor, youth pastor and a sports writer before getting to this point. I'm content with where I'm at, but still regret now going to law school every now and then.

But I enjoy the people I work with, love my kids and have fun in dance class twice a week, so life is still pretty good!
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Sat Nov 17, 2007 08:10 PM
Actually, I wanted to be an astronaut, or a ballerina.

That was in the days of the Mercury program, when it was unheard of for women to aspire to spaceflight.

I was as much of a space junkie as I was a ballet junkie.

When I hit age 16 and a growth spurt, my preprofessional teacher told me that I was far too tall for a professional ballet career, and thereafter I was ignored in class. I pursued ballet for awhile longer, then entered college and became a nurse. After college I joined the Navy. You can pretty much read about how my life worked out on my profile.

I'm approaching retirement age, and have re-entered ballet. And I intend to dance till my dying day, if I'm able, while I continue to dream of the stars.
By Jennys_mum Comments: 1940, member since Mon Mar 26, 2007
On Wed Dec 26, 2007 01:52 PM
plenty time , not decided what i want to be yet.

Ive tryed the hairdressing. aerobics instructor step classes. self defence instructor. dancing teacher, butcher ,fishmonger,
councelling. cleaner, nurse. Ive decided its easier beeing a mum. Ive only got 7 kids but maybe when I grow up i might foster dont know yet?

I do social care. but hopeing to get qualified , but plenty time.. im only 44yrs young.
By DeeDeesPremium member Comments: 4147, member since Fri Jan 26, 2007
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 04:31 AM
Still growing up :)
I liked idea o metereologist or beauty therapist
Im a mum to 3 and a supply teacher assistant.
Love my prop / costume designing / making and things dance related.
Wish I could make a career outr of that !
D
By stagemother Comments: 173, member since Tue Jul 13, 2004
On Sat Jan 12, 2008 05:24 AM
I am 41 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!
When I was little I wanted to be a doo-wop girl.
My husband was cute, he wanted to be the person who put the stickers on the apples.
By princesspeach22Premium member Comments: 2788, member since Thu Mar 23, 2006
On Tue Mar 11, 2008 01:06 PM
Well where shall I start! lol well I wanted to be a famous dancer either ballroom or one of pans people on top of the pops!
then I wanted to be a chef,a tennis player and win wimbeldon, a singer (even though i cannot sing) but all really wanted was to be a mum I couldnt wait to grow up and have babies and them grow and and be a grandma! Think it came from being round babies as an aunty at the age of 7 :) Well if got pregnant at the tender age of 16 abd being left holding the baby! then at 18 had 2nd after meeting my husband and then my 3rd at 23 and well that then was it so I thought, but then at 37 after always wanting 2 boys and 2 girls i had my last one Chelsea (not planned by any means though LOl) and now in 5 weeks I get to be a grandma so yes I am what i wanted to be in the end :)
LInda Xx
By nadirisgift Comments: 54, member since Wed Sep 13, 2006
On Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:21 PM
No I am definitely not what I wanted to be when I was in catholic elementary school. I wanted to be a nun. I have three beautiful daughters and am reconciling with my only husband after being divorced for nearly 3 years.(So much for the catholic calling on my life) I also wanted to be a rodeo queen. I have some experience riding and I still at the age of 40 toss around the idea(if I ever make enough money) to have horses and be a champion barrel contester. When I was 19 I decided(after several years dancing) that I wanted to be a ballerina, like my idol at the time, Gelsey Kirkland(not quite the role model for me I developed and eating disorder-recovered from now-while trying to emulate her). I am currently a dance teacher( In 1996 took over family business mother opened when I was a senior in high school). Before I had many wonderful opportunites to get my degree in dance, pursue dance professionally as that became my desire(up and moved to a city to study and hopefully audition with an "Ailey" sister company, but I kept coming home to my hometown(a small farming town but with much potential for arts appreciation). I am blessed to have prepared several of my students for their own dance degrees and the most recent, in search of dance employment, keeps herself audition ready in my classes. That does make me feel like I've acomplished something significant outside of the benefit it is for this community to have our small studio here. There have been several of our students to go on and do well at some reputable college dance programs. So my ventures into the dance world have been beneficial in my work in our community. I had a short three week employment with a performing arts charter school in a city nearby, but because I didn't have my degree I wasn't able to work and get paid for more than 12 hours a week. Working with the children of the inner city touched something inside of me. Shortly after I knew that I could make a difference there and I started my first part-time semester at community college in pursuit of some degree-just so I could have that piece of paper required for any access to a more solid income in my career path. I am currently in my second part-time semester. I had no idea I would be trying to run my studio, go to school, and take care of my family. As I ponder where I am and what I'm working toward- I could honestly tell you that right now- I have no clue-I'm kind of in a limbo of constant doing and missing any forward progress on my journey. When I change directions into retirement I have disillusions of being a master gardener with my own show on HGTV.
By tapitup Comments: 21, member since Sun Sep 25, 2005
On Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:53 PM
YES! I never had much ambition while growing up. But I always knew the kind of life I wanted to live, and I knew how to get there by watching others, and learning from their mistakes. So yes, here I am, and I'm very happy!
By Old_Ballet_Dude Comments: 555, member since Tue Mar 13, 2007
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 04:08 AM
Yes I have. When I was young, I used to be fascinated by trains. Now I operate them for a living. The only drawback to my occupation is it's rather a male dominated field and the men who work there don't hold male ballet dancers in high regard. Tights and trains? Not exactly a match made in heaven!!
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Mon Apr 21, 2008 03:59 PM
Hi,
Yes I am but I never realised when I was young what I wanted out of life lol!
I went into Nursing and midwifery and thoroughly enjoyed it for 25 years but became ill and had to retire.
As a child I used to spend hours making dolls clothes and knitting and crocheting. When my kids started dancing and I started making their costumes I then realised my dreams that I never knew were there lol!I now help my daughter with her costume making business. BLISS!
My other dream was to be a mother and wife and have , hopefully, done that successfully for over 30 years. So ,yes, I am what I wanted to be when I grew up. Just one thing to achieve and that is to be a grandparent!
Cathryn x
By leggylady Comments: 27, member since Tue Apr 08, 2008
On Fri Apr 25, 2008 06:20 AM
When I was little ( seems just like yesterday , ok last week ! :P ) All I wanted to be was a Wife and Mother , I have acheived my dreams as I have 3 wonderful children and a wonderful husband.
As I was growing up I also did child care and worked with interlectually disabled people , this was so rewarding and it makes me count my blessings to have the great life I now have.
I also learned that I can sew ( an absolute must with dancing daughter )
I think I can honestly say all my childhood dreams have been fulfilled, ( except I have yet to win the lotto )
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2903, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Mon May 12, 2008 02:17 PM
Nope, but seeing that the only thing I wanted to be was an astronaut, that is not terribly surprising.

I now teach English at a technical college to students who are going to work with fighter jets. It's as close as I'm gonna get, I guess ...
By loulou40 Comments: 20, member since Mon May 05, 2008
On Tue May 20, 2008 01:55 PM
I wanted to stay single until I was 30,....I married at 20.
I never wanted children and I have 3 daughters.
I wanted to work with animals and I am a Staff nurse!!??!
By emmas_mum1 Comments: 25, member since Thu Apr 17, 2008
On Thu May 22, 2008 10:21 AM
no! haha
wanted to be a vet, now work as a librarian
would still love to be a vet but way too old now
By Princess_Allid Comments: 78, member since Mon Jul 02, 2007
On Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:05 PM
im not what I wanted I really wanted to be a dancer but my mother wasnt that supportive this is why I am doing all I can to enable my daughter to follow her hobby as she is
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Dec 13, 2008 03:38 AM
With the distorted concepts we got from our mentors about what a (whatever) does, it is not at all surprising that most of us did not become a (whatever).

What I would like to know is how many of us discovered the truth agonizingly late?
By sallyd1 Comments: 21, member since Thu Dec 11, 2008
On Sun Dec 14, 2008 04:37 PM
Yes and no ! From a very early age I always wanted to be a teacher.When I was in Primary 1 we were asked to draw a picture and write what we wanted to do when we grew up. My mum kept the the jotter and years later I passed all my exams and was accepted at teacher training college. However for some reason I decided I wanted to do something different and applied for the police force and was accepted. My mum then showed me the jotter and what I had written when I was 5 years old. It said, " When I grow up I want to be a police woman" (except I had spelt it pieswuman !) That was 30 years ago and I'm now retired from the force. Isn't life funny !
By TwirlingMom Comments: 21, member since Sun Feb 17, 2008
On Sat Jan 17, 2009 02:10 PM
I always wanted to be a teacher, but now that I am in my 40s I am thinking I need a change???
By isiscloud Comments: 47, member since Thu Mar 26, 2009
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 09:17 PM
Yeah, I don't know. I wanted to be an architect (nope), stockbroker (nope, thank goodness), wanted to get into marketing, but out of college took a job in financial services with the hopes of moving about in the company, but it took eight years before I got a different job. Then I went to grad school fo get a masters degree in corporate and public communications. Ws in PR for a little bit was laid off, and then worked at LexisNexis and was a projecct manager. I was laid off last spring and then got a new job within the company as a web editor, which I love, but am extremely busy.

Don't have kids, but my husband and I have three wonderful cats.
By AnothermomtooPremium member Comments: 1096, member since Mon Jan 30, 2006
On Sat Mar 28, 2009 05:25 PM
I wanted to be a great woman scientist like Jane Goodall. I remember watching programs about her on the television during the 1970s. I've been a model, an editor (copy, production, managing, and freelance), a writer, an artist, a dog walker, and an adjunct faculty member at the local state college, where I teach biology. Mostly, I've been a mother and wife for many years. My oldest will graduate from high school next year, and his sister is two years behind him.
By delinquent Comments: 1129, member since Thu Jul 08, 2004
On Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:32 AM
Edited by delinquent (99074) on 2009-03-29 11:33:44
Well, one of my major goals as a child when it came to 'being a grown up' was NOT to grow up! Grown ups to me = being miserable all the time, unhappy and generally not able to have any fun.

I decided long ago that was not the life for me. As a youngster I loved hide and seek because I was excellent at hiding. When I grew up I wanted a place 'to hide in' where no one could find me, I would be safe and could do whatever I wanted. I often just wanted people to leave me the hell alone and not tell me to do stupid things like homework. I was careful to avoid things that I was sure were part of what made adults miserable: Coffee (they had to drink it every day to stay away),cigarettes, working for 'the man', living in something called a 'cubicle' which I was sure would NOT be a good hiding place, reading books without pictures and watching things on TV called operas but without singing. I mean, wouldn't you rather watch a cartoon?

So I steered clear of wanting a job that would seem to box me in. So I picked doctor, or teacher, later on I decided I wanted to be a writer as well. Actually I'm pretty sure that watching Star Trek was what led me to want to be a doctor. When i figured out that I wasn't good enough at math to be a doctor, I focused on teaching. I also wanted to be a hairstylist and decided to try being a waitress I figured it would be a good experience because Mariah Carey had trained to be one! I tried out the jobs of people I looked up to, and found that they weren't the job for me, just as they hadn't been for them, and probably for the same reasons.

It's amazing that it took me so long to figure out that I was a creative soul. I took pre-med classes that made my inner adolescent feel happy, I managed a hair salon in high school which made my inner Mariah fan happy, I tried waitressing, hated it, just as my former idols had, and I did teaching which made my inner Laura Ingalls Wilder fan happy. I also worked at an outdoor historical museum which again made my inner Little House on the Prairie fan happy as hell. In fact, that has been my favorite job to date. If I could still work there, I would!

Now I own my own dance studio and teach school. I am not living in a cubicle and no one is telling me what to do. Now if I can just find (and find the money) for a house that I can hide in, and a neighborhood that makes me feel safe (which i have already) I'll be set.

I watch as many cartoons as possible and read as many books with pictures as I can. I think I've succeeded. I've not turned into a grown up.

Edit: Crud, I just now realized that this is in the 40 something forum. I guess I'll creep back to the 30 something forum then....
By ballettolate Comments: 45, member since Tue Jun 24, 2008
On Sun Mar 29, 2009 07:21 PM
I AM STILL WORKING ON THE PART ABOUT BEING ALL grew up even in my 40's I still don't want to Grow up
By wondermum7 Comments: 34, member since Sat Apr 25, 2009
On Wed Apr 29, 2009 05:50 AM
hi

no i always wanted to go into nursing or similar got married young had my seven kids and was working in retail for twelve yrs
now redundant but really want to have a change of career but feel i am to old now
By isiscloud Comments: 47, member since Thu Mar 26, 2009
On Wed May 20, 2009 08:49 PM
I don't think you're ever too old to learn new things. It's how open you let yourself be.

Also don't want to grow up. It's easier not having kids, but still have responsibilities. thankfully, my husband pays all the bills (he's a bit better at that!).

I don't feel older, just have more gray hairs!
By Gailynn Comments: 22, member since Sat Jun 20, 2009
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:26 PM
I always wanted to be a lawyer - grew up watching LA Law. I'm a stay-at-home mom and love it! Who knows, I can still be a lawyer when the kids grow up!
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch