Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Advanced & Professional Ballet
New Introduce Yourself thread (other one is too old and wont accept new posts)
By Miss_MickiPremium member Comments: 392, member since Thu Nov 10, 2005
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:35 PM
Made sticky by calypso (11968) on 2006-08-29 17:23:21

Hello dancers,
I just wanted to introduce myself and the old thread is too old, so I started a new one. Hope that is OK. Anyway...here goes:

I am Micki (Miss Micki to my students ;P )and have been dancing since the age of three. I am 22 now and I have had 11 years of training off and on, due to injuries and health issues etc. I have had pre-proffessional training in cecchetti ballet, modern and some jazz, and have performed with a youth company untill I was 17.

After that I stopped dancing, except for teaching some rec classes. I am now getting back into proffessional training again after 5 years. I am currently dancing 20 hours per week, picking up where I left off--learning Intermediate and Advanced Cecchetti and Iner RAD--as well as teaching ages 3-13.

My goal is to get myself back up to calibre and join a contemporary company as well as to teach.

46 Replies to New Introduce Yourself thread (other one is too old and wont accept new posts)

re: New Introduce Yourself thread (other one is too old and wont accept new posts)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 08:12 PM
Hey everyone, I am lauren.( miss Lauren to the little kid I help out with :D). I am not a "pro" yet but I am hoping to get some advice here before I go into the pro world. I am finally getting serious aboout ballet. I am in the studio Monday-Thursdays and I practice alot at home. I am 15 years old.

My ballet goal is mabey join the corps of a small company. I want to teach ballet as my "ballet goal".
re: New Introduce Yourself thread (other one is too old and wont accept new posts)
By VeniciaDansaPremium member Comments: 1698, member since Thu Nov 18, 2004
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 02:00 AM
I think you know me already... what can I say?
By barefootgracemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2827, member since Fri Oct 22, 2004
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 02:39 PM
Edited by barefootgrace (110403) on 2006-01-26 14:41:12 i have spelling issues today.
LOL, Veni.

There isn't much to say about me. i was a pre-professional dancer, years ago; i'm one of those whose goals didn't meet with parental approval (although i had lots of teacher support), so i ended up being a housewife instead. That doesn't exactly meet with parental approval, either, but, hey, i'm almost 30. Anyway, i studied Dance and Dance Education (along with English) in college, and soon i'll be going back to finish my degree. i'm here, because i feel like i can tell you what could possibly hold you back from going all the way. We have a lot of pre-pros, and even a few pros, but you rarely ever hear from the "quitters." So here i am. :)

As far as my dance background is concerned, i began ballet at the age of 5, and danced solidly through the age of 20. i trained in the French technique, with a former member of the corps du ballet at the opera house in Tolouse, France. In college i sampled some Checcetti, and just recently i have been honored to study a tiny bit of Vaganova technique. i had four years of Modern in college, two of which were Hawkins technique, and i will readily tell you that it colors my philosophy about all types of dance. i love modern, but i love ballet, too. And i believe that there are some Hawkins and general Modern Dance ideas from which ballet can definitely benefit, not on stage, but in the studio. i teach when i get the chance, and take classes where i can. i dance with the most advanced group that is offered, even though most of them are at least eleven years younger than me. My life (outside of my family) has been dedicated to learning more about ballet and modern so that i can pass it on. If i could find a job with a small local company that doesn't travel i would be thrilled beyond belief. i would also love to choreograph and teach.

i joined the board because the question of "family vs. career" comes up occasionally, and i wanted to make sure that people realize that it is possible to have a family and a career in dance at the same time. There are other questions that i address, occasionally, but the main reason i decided to apply for membership is to address the more adult concerns that dancers have to face. It's a rough world out there, i like to think i might help a little by giving some support and encouragement.
By duct_tape_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2559, member since Wed Jul 31, 2002
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 03:29 PM
Edited by duct_tape_dancer (34524) on 2006-01-26 15:31:22
I joined this board over two years ago I think and alot has changed since then. I'm 17 years old and a junior in high school. Ballet is my focus, my top priority. I've had some tough times convincing my school that ballet comes before schoolwork and friends. I go to a college prep boarding school and I'm a rare breed here. We've got one amazing skater and a handful of serious fencers, but otherwise everyone else here is on the "early acceptance to Harvard or I'll go cry in the corner" track. I've had to speak up for myself and defend my position alot but its been worth it. At the age of 4, I forced my parents to enroll me in ballet class. At age 8, I was identified as one of the kids who had "it" and put into the more intensive track at the studio I was at at the time. When I was 11, I switched to a new studio with a good record of consistently placing graduates into respected college programs. Through middle school, my schedule slowly increased until I was dancing 15 hours a week in 8th grade. That year I went away to my first SI and realized that I really did have alot of potential. In 9th grade, I made the switch to boarding school and began my fight for ballet classes. I managed to keep up my schedule of 15 hours of ballet a week supplemented with additional modern classes. I went away that summer again and was able to perform with the professional company associated with the program that summer and in their Nutcracker. Last year, the same thing. Right now, I'm working on coming back from an injury that I've been out with since October. At the time, I was dancing 30-40 hours a week and doing a little professional work as well. It came at a crucial point in my training and I ended up not being able to perfom at all this fall and winter (when I'm generally doing at least three different runs). Its been hard, but my teachers feel like I'll be able to bounce back quickly and I'm trusting them. If all goes well, I'm slated to perform for the first time ever as a soloist in a professional production at the end of March.
By Merfi Comments: 3099, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:02 PM
Hi, I'm Merfi, and am new to this group! :) I'm 13 and am doing RAD Grade 7 and Intermediate. So a lot of you guys have done more than me and I hope I can learn a lot :)
By DancinCat Comments: 572, member since Sat Mar 16, 2002
On Sat Feb 04, 2006 02:30 PM
I am currently the ballet director of a dance studio in AZ. I have danced professionally in Tennessee but that was years ago. Due to injury and health concerns, I'm teaching my passion-ballet! I joined this board to kind of keep my toes in the water and to offer any help on ballet where help is needed.
By Stufumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2170, member since Wed Apr 07, 2004
On Mon Feb 06, 2006 05:05 AM
I'm Stefanie and i'm turning 16 this year. I'm doing RAD Intermediate this year and i hope i can do the exam this year as i have my GCE O levels this year. And i definitely hope to do Advanced 1 next year. i plan to get a degree in dance after schooling and i'd love to be a professional dancer in my country, though i doubt so. I'm sooo old!
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Fri Feb 10, 2006 09:40 AM
I'm Andrea, and I'm 13. I've been doing ballet for 9 years, and I've done some modern and jazz. I dance fairly intensely at a well-known studio in my area, but I don't plan to become a professional. I think that I can offer some good advice on this board, however. :)
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18126, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 08:22 PM
I replied to the original, but it's been ages, so I'll update.

I'm Kara, 21 years old, working on finishing my BFA. Been dancing for 17 years, mostly ballet, enough jazz and modern to get me by. Not sure what my ultimate goal is. The ultimate fantasy goal, of course, is to join a company, but time will tell if that's realistic or not. Other possibilities would be teaching ballet (which I also love to do), or going back for my Master's in dance history and working with children in the arts awareness/appreciation field. If you can even get a Master's in dance history.
By thenextfonteynmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 293, member since Sun Jun 05, 2005
On Wed Mar 08, 2006 09:13 PM
hey all!!!
well i'm 16(almost 17) and aspiring to join a professional ballet company. my dance history is kinda complicated..lol...

when i was three mum wanted me to start at a local studio, but i was too shy, but by the next year i had gotten enough courage to join in the class. i danced once a week from then until i was 9, and then i stopped because my family and i were going to move during the year.
however we never ended up moving until about two years later. just before that though, i remember watching a ballet documentary on Christine Walsh that was on the ABC (a past principal dancer with the Australian Ballet), and i told mum that i wanted to go back to ballet coz i missed it. Mum said there was no point because at the time, we were actually planning on making that move that was mum had planned two years ago. i said fair enough, and by the end of that year we had moved.
The next year, i once again wanted to go back, and mum told me find a school and then to talk to dad about it. i found a really good school, and went for one of those sample lessons, but Dad said no way, and i was really disappointed but left it at that.
Two years later there was a notice put up in the community newspaper which was advertising a free performance by one of the pre-pro schools in the city. Of course i went to book tickets, and once again was captivated by the beauty of ballet. At the intermission i told mum that i really wanted to get back into it, and mum said go ahead, giving me the same conditions as before. This time dad said yes, and at nearly 15 years of age, i was finally back at ballet after not having danced for 5 years.
I will be doing my RAD advanced 1 exam this year, but i'm currently taking the advanced 2 class...figure that one out lol
i started full-time ballet half-way through last year and loving it :)

*~t_n_f~*
By odranoel Comments: 515, member since Wed Jun 15, 2005
On Thu Mar 23, 2006 01:51 PM
OK, my name is Annie. I'm 17 years old and an advanced ballet and modern student. I hope to be a professional dancer either with a company or on Broadway. I also enjoy singing opera/musical theatre and writing novels and poetry.

Odranoel
By PRiMAballerina6member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 173, member since Mon Jan 16, 2006
On Thu Mar 30, 2006 05:57 PM
Edited by PRiMAballerina6 (149629) on 2006-03-30 17:58:59
Hey! I'm Eileen, 14 & 9th grade. I go to a private academy, one of the highest ranked in the country,that is really expensive and there is a ton of schoolwork. I am in all honors classes and a grade ahead in math (honors sophomore class and im a freshman) It is sort of like the other girls said, basically everyone is on the early acceptance to Havard. Ballet is basically my life and has been for 11 years. I train at Cincinnati Ballet (the academy) every day except Sunday. It is a big stretch and I am up very late every night finishing my schoolwork, since I am known for my "smartness" also, and practicing the piano and violin. I would LOVE to train at SAB and Boston Ballet School (PNB, SFB, ABT, Suzanne Farrel, Steifel and Stars too!) My goal is to be in the Cincinnati Ballet (pretty high up there in "company rankings" with behind like ABT, NYCB, SFB, PNB, Boston), which I have pretty much already secured myself a space in. I would love to dance with ABT at some point too. I am definitely going to college, probably while in a company (i don't want to waste my brain since i've had an IQ high enough to be in mensa since I was 7). Probably pre-med school so after I retire from dancing I can become a neurologist. (life planned out) WEll that is about it sorry it was so long! =)

By DejaDerangemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6188, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:08 PM
Eh, I'll do another one, why not. :)

I'm Marian, Masha to those who can't pronounce it. (Not to hard-- merry-inn and maaaah-shaaaah, but, you know... these things happen.) I'm 14, and a freshman in high school.

I started ballet very late-- last year, in fact. I was 12 and in 8th grade, and had no idea what I was doing. However, I loved it, and moved up fairly fast. I was doing pointe in January, and by June I wasn't half bad. I have terrible feet, though, which held me back a lot, and continues to do so.

However, in June, I moved from Connecticut to Chicago-- quite a big change. I wasn't ready to do a big, intense program-- I wasn't quite that good and was intimidated-- so I was taking adult open classes. Because of this, my technique dipped quite a lot. Then, I (unwisely) chose to do plays instead of doing enough dance classes, which made my technique dip further. I dance through my school, but the classes are short and basic.

Recently, I have started adding more classes, and I plan to do even more next year. It's very hard-- I hate having to choose between all the things I love doing, but I think dance wins out over all of them if I had to choose. There are definately days when I want to quit-- especially when I think of how I was a lot better, and then threw away what I had. Also, with my injuries (I have a bad knee and ankle -- on different legs, which is annoying-- as well as an old hip flexor injury, and right now my left achilles is being bad.) it is very difficult for me to get out of bed on some days, even walking becomes hard!

All in all-- I used to belong on this board, but I don't really anymore. However, I stick around, because I love you guys and the discussion is good. I like being able to pick up information from older-and-wiser types.

M
By DreamingTreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3193, member since Sat May 24, 2003
On Sun Apr 09, 2006 06:35 PM
Hey, I'm Cathy, I'm 16, and have been dancing since 8, but had to stop due to injury, and got back at 12, and never stopped since then.
I will take Intermediate - RAD this year, and I dance in my studio's amateur company.
I also take Pas de Deux classes.
By tapnjazzbabymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1265, member since Fri Mar 25, 2005
On Thu Apr 20, 2006 09:59 PM
hey guys

i'm keely... yes like pretty much everyone has said, i'm also known as Miss Keely to a few students. I am currently studying advanced 1 RAD ballet this year, also pre-professional jazz, pre-pro jazz, advanced contemporary, advanced hip hop and advanced musical theatre. (those are the gradings by my studio, in the pre-pro classes we do perform for money and do theory on preparation for going professional.)

My ultimate goal is to open up my own studio and be a teacher/principal of it. I would also love to do musical theatre professionally, which is something i am working towards now. (I do a musical theatre course at tafe, and hopefully uni soon!) I really enjoy singing and acting as well as dancing, so musical theatre is perfect for me!

This is actually my first post on this board (i just got accepted minutes ago!) so i'm really looking forward to discussing more with you guys!

love keely...xoox
By annabanana0921member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 145, member since Fri Aug 26, 2005
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 08:25 PM
hey everyone,
well let's think how to start this. i'm 15 years old and i'm a junior member of the arts ballet theater of florida company. i've been dancing for a total of twelve years and have been lucky enough to train in several parts of the country. starting in texas, and training in iowa, illionois, and maryland. i moved to south florida and trained for a year at Miami City Ballet. after leaving there i found Aventura Dance Academy which gave me the opportunity to dance with the company which i am doing now. i've danced many different ballets with many different variations under my belt. My most recent roles of the season have been Arabian Princess for Nutcrakcer, a piece from The Tiny Humpbacked Horse, a princess in Firebird, Ms. Carrott in Chipollino, and the first pas de trois and the pas de seis in Shastakovitch Suites. although i have not done any teaching, i choreographed one piece as a fundraiser for the company. it was a pas de quat to an acoustic guitar written by joe michael.
as a member of the company i was able to travel to Denmark and Poland for a international dance performance with countries such as Austria, Poland, and Denmark. next year, they plan to come here and dance with us.
i've been doing pointe work for five years now and partnering for about three. i plan to continue traning with Vladimir Issaev at Arts Ballet Theater of Florida, where hopefully i'll be able to become a regular member.
By almondjoyful Comments: 4, member since Thu Apr 20, 2006
On Mon May 01, 2006 09:20 PM
I am 14 years old and am in 9th grade studying ballet pre professionally. My father is in the army and we have had to move around a lot so my ballet training suffered as a young student. However, the school that I am currently at is fairly new with extremely prominent teachers and I have been at this school since the age of 10. This summer after attending my SI I am moving to Germany for the third time. I am VERY apprehensive about that!!! It is my ultimate goal to become a professional in a ballet company (I also have my life planned out! :) I love reading all the topics on dance.net and hope I can give and recieve good advice.
By Jazmine10member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 75, member since Tue Feb 14, 2006
On Tue May 23, 2006 07:23 AM
whoo! I just got approved.

So about me: I've been dancing since I was 6 in ballet modern and jazz, for about 7 years I studied with PBT in Pittsburgh, but eventually I got really fed up with the program, and it wasn't the safest enviroment, I ended up with eating disorders because they cared so much about how you look, and genetically, I'm curvy, so that wasn't good. At that same time a new company and school rolled in that promoted a healthy talented dancer over being skinny. I took about six months off between 8 and 9 grade to "find" myself, aka gain some weight and find my brain. I started dance at Bodiography, and it's been the most amazing experience. My teachers have renewed my passion for dance over and over again, and have highlighted the importance of a dancer having an education. I seriously considered going pro right after high school(like in 5 days) but every teacher and dancer at my studio has a college degree, and it's such a good thing in case something happens in the future.

So I'm heading to Mount Holyoke next fall to major in dance, and I hope to end up choreographing/artistic director/teacher for a company, but I won't turn the opportunity down to perform if it comes!
By Ballet_In_OT Comments: 1, member since Tue May 23, 2006
On Mon May 29, 2006 02:26 PM
This is my first post, but I'm afraid it won't be very long...

I've been dancing for 13 years, training intensively for 9. I'm currently enrolled in a pre-professional school in my area, and will be attending the Quinte Ballet School's SI in July. I hope to improve a great deal over the next year or so, and after that, who knows? Maybe I'll dance professionally, or maybe I'll teach. We'll see!
By Kallina Comments: 1255, member since Sat Oct 06, 2001
On Wed May 31, 2006 08:22 PM
quite a bit has changed in my life since i replied to the old "introduce yourself" thread, so i thought i'd post again.
i'm originally from greece, i started dancing there when i was about 4 years old. in my early teens i went to a couple of si in the states, and then moved there to attend SAB (stayed for two years). after finishing with that one, i danced with a company in nyc for a while, and then moved to london, and danced here. this pretty much what i guess i siad in the other thread as well.
but since then, i've stopped dancing professionally. i suffered a rather serious injury on my left knee (which also accounts for my long absence from DDN during last year), and although i have reconvered quite well, i can't go back to dancing full time. i still train and practice, but it's for the fun of it (and it's also a way of life you can't really give up that easily). so now i'm in full time education, completing a degree in international relations. :) that's about it!
By rocknrollnpink Comments: 313, member since Fri Sep 03, 2004
On Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:56 PM
Edited by rocknrollnpink (105345) on 2006-06-02 23:01:00 spellings
Hi. I am 17 and an apprentice in my school. I hope to join a ballet company within a year or two. I dance everyday except sunday and I perform 10-18 shows during the season(not very many yet I know). I started ballet about when I was 9 and got serious around 12(I know kinda late, but I have gotten pretty much caught up). I would love to be Odile/Odette or Giselle someday soon.
By pixiedancer97 Comments: 933, member since Sat Jan 17, 2004
On Sat Jun 03, 2006 06:28 PM
Hey, I'm Daphne. I'm 12 years old, currently training at a pre professional school. Many of our alumni now go to the American Ballet Theatre, and I think last year, maybe the year before, at the YAGP, they've gotten scholarships to the Universal Ballet Academy and the Paris Opera Ballet School. I take ballet and pointe classes 6 days a week, each about 3 hours long not including rehearsals for various performances.
And someday I hope to be a professional ballet dancer. :) Maybe at the American Ballet Theatre?
By Sylphiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1790, member since Sun Feb 09, 2003
On Sun Jun 04, 2006 05:27 PM
Edited by Sylphie (55958) on 2006-06-04 17:28:09
Hi, my name is Tara, and I attend a pre-professional ballet program at the Flint School of Performing Arts (it's in Michigan). I've been in the pre-pro company, Flint Youth Ballet, for the past five years. Next year I'll be a high school senior. Every Christmas I perform in The Nutcracker, and every spring we perform a collection of shorter pieces. I am very lucky to have gotten to perform many soloist and principal roles with FYB, and my hard work has paid off, because I have had to overcome a lot of obstacles with flexibility. As far as summer programs, I have been to the Joffrey Midwest Workshop twice on scholarship (three times this year...eeeeh, I'm excited :)), and this year I'm going to the RDA Craft of Choreography Conference on scholarship. I really hope to dance professionally, and I'm looking into elite college dance programs right now, since my parents really want me to go to school. See y'all around!
By ChoChomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4151, member since Fri May 13, 2005
On Tue Jun 06, 2006 06:43 PM
Hey :)

I am 15 and I am a freshman (almost sophmore) in high school. I am in the highest level at my current school and I am a soloist in its company. My dream is to become a professional ballet dancer, and I am really starting to work harder to attain my goal. I am trying to talk my parents into letting me go to a ballet boarding school like SAB, because I want to get the best training that I can. I may not become a principal in a famous company, but I would not mind being in the corps of a big company or a soloist/principal in a smaller, less known company. I would also like to be a dance teacher when I am older. As long as I am dancing, I will be happy.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch