Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: New Introduce Yourself thread (other one is too old and wont accept new posts)
By elusionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1444, member since Sun Sep 30, 2001
On Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:47 PM
Hey everyone,
I joined this board almost three full years ago and lots has changed since then, so here's my new intro:
I was classically trained and studied ballet at a pre-professional level. My senior year of high school I came to terms with the fact that I just didn't have the ballet body... so I went out on a limb, auditioned for a contemporary company, and got my first apprenticeship. I danced with that company (PA Dance Vision Repertory Ensemble) for a little over a year, then joined up with Fame Dance Troupe in NYC (which I found out about through DDN!). I danced with them until they went under, did some freelancing...in April I joined up with Resurrection Dance Company, and in August I'm moving down to Houston to dance with the company and serve as Assistant Artistic Director. I've also taught for dance studios, directed a student dance company, and choreographed. I still love ballet...I do some freelance work in classical ballet, and I love to teach and choreograph it....I always take ballet classes and keep up my ballet technique. Sometimes I miss doing ballet all the time!

Well, there's my extremely long-winded recap of the last three years. Enjoy!
Love,
elusion
re: New Introduce Yourself thread (other one is too old and wont accept new posts)
By nzballetchickmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 202, member since Sun Nov 16, 2003
On Wed Jul 05, 2006 03:24 AM
i havent been active in here for a while so i deem it probably important that i update all members on why i am here...
i am 18 years old now and i live in New Zealand, i am currently working towards my advanced two bbo exam which i will be sitting in october by myself. Advanced Two BBO is extremly difficult and takes alot of dedication to 'get' in fact alot of rad teachers class as eqivalent to RAD Solo Seal, the next step up from here is teaching or a full time dance career
i look forward to posting here more often to share ideas on coping with this huge exam.... sorry i havent been so active just been to busy to use the computer!
lotsa love
Kris
By DanceAngel120Premium member Comments: 5700, member since Wed Mar 13, 2002
On Sat Aug 19, 2006 07:20 PM
Hey guys, I'm Jody, and I'm a 16 year old junior in high school. I've been in the pre-professional division of an extremely well-known local ballet studio for a few years now, and this fall I'll be starting RAD Advanced 1. I've been dancing since I was 2 1/2 years old, and it has always been my passion.

Unfortunatley, as much as dance is my passion and my life, and despite the fact that I've put a minimum of 12 hours a week into it since I was about 12, I will never become a professional dancer. My body is not meant for it, and seems to protest everything I do, and I simply will never have the talent and technique needed to become a professional. The only thing I have going for me in terms of becoming a professional was really the fact that I have incredible stage presence, that's about it. It was very difficult for me to come to terms with this, but I can say that by this point I have. So instead, I just work my little but off in class every day in class to become the best dancer that I can possibly become, and for me that'll just have to be enough. In general, I'm known for 2 things- being smart and taking very challenging classes, and being a dancer. Within dance I am known for being extremely motivated and my hard work. Despite the fact that I do not have the potential to become a professional dancer, I believe I'm still quite knowledgable about ballet and am always striving to learn more about it, so I think I still have a lot to offer on this board.
By dreamofdancing Comments: 540, member since Fri Feb 22, 2008
On Thu Feb 28, 2008 06:28 PM
hi everybody! I have been dancing for 13 years, and am part of the Brandywine Ballet Theatre. I dance everyday of the week, and love to perform. I have trained in ballet (vaganova), modern, and contemporary jazz. my greatest dream is to be a professional dancer with a ballet company, and I will do anything to make that dream come true :) .

~ dreamofdancing
By bendytwigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 153, member since Mon Nov 05, 2007
On Thu Apr 17, 2008 08:03 AM
Hey Guys, i'm bendytwig (also known as jo). I'm a pre-pro ballet dancer training in vagonova method. I dance... let me see... 25 hours per week if you include a character class. I've been dancing for 6 years and moved to where i live now for my ballet school. I have wonderful parents who support my dream of becoming a ballerina. Like most of us here on DDN, ballet is my passion and I'm going to work as hard as i can to make my goal happen.
By allegro13 Comments: 997, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Mon Jul 07, 2008 06:15 AM
Hi Everyone!

I was just accepted to this forum, so I thought I'd drop in and introduce myself.
My name is Alexandra and I'm fourteen years old. I have trained in the Vagonova sllyabus for about eight years now, and have been a company member with my local ballet theater. Recently, I was also accepted as a Studio Company member in my state company. I also adore contemporary ballet and look forward to creating my own choreography.
When I am an adult, I plan on pursuing a career in ballet, and possibly theater, and writing my own books.

Great to be here! :)
By ballet_babe_1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 672, member since Wed Jun 18, 2008
On Tue Sep 23, 2008 04:49 PM
Hi!

I just got accepted to this board, so I thought I should tell you guys a little bit about me. :) I'm 14 years old, this is my 10th year dancing, and my ballet "history" is kind of a long story...

When I was five years old, my older brother was taking gymnastics at a local gymnastics place. I'd already tried gymnastics, and let me tell you, it just was not for me. (Me + going upside down and flipping and such = not good LOL). The gymnastics place decided to start offering ballet classes. My mom asked me if I'd be interested in trying it, and I decided to give ballet a shot. (I'm so glad I did!)I took ballet classes once a week that year at the gymnastics place. That summer, I was the only one who signed up, so I got a whole summer of private lessons! (Even at age 6, this was still a great help!) Then the next year they didn't get enough girls to sign up, so they stopped offering ballet.

Then, we decided to try a studio near us, which I ended up dancing at for the next 5 years, 2 of which I was a part of the competition team. The last year I competed with them, I got my first ballet solo :D.

However, my beloved ballet teacher decided to open her own studio, which was 45 minutes away from my house, but my parents decided I could go there anyway. The first year there, I got to start pointe :). The first 2 years there I also competed, and the first year I got ballet and lyrical solos, and the second year I got pointe and lyrical solos. Both those years I went to Youth American Grand Prix (YAGP). The summer after, I went to my first inensive- ABT detroit. The next year not many girls wanted to compete, so we took a year off of that. I decided I wanted my main focus to be ballet, so I dropped my jazz and tap classes, and just took ballet, pointe, and lyrical classes. That summer (this past summer) I again attended ABT detroit.

However, the next year (this year) my parents decided the 45 minute drive was just too far, especially with gas prices being so high. I then looked for a good studio that was closer to our house. I happened to find one that is great! However, all of my other ballet training has been vaganova, but this studio offers checcitti as well. So, this year I began checcitti training (my teacher said i could start off in grade 2 to learn the syllabus). I'm now preparing for my Grade 2 exam. I take the checcitti class, plus some non-syllabus classes, plus a stretch class, and a floor barre class at the new studio. Also, on Fridays my mom drives me out to the old studio for a vaganova class with my beloved teacher.

And that's where I'm at now!

I joined this board so I can hopefully get some great advice, and maybe even offer some. I know I'm going to face many tough decisions as my ballet training goes on, and hopefully you guys can help with that :)
By Qeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 277, member since Fri Mar 04, 2005
On Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:52 AM
Hello, nice to meet everyone here. :3 Iam Claire and I'm 17 years old. And I live in the Netherlands.

I started dancing when I was almost 14 and since I was too old to get into the academy here, I pretty much had to put my own training schedule together with open classes.

I have trained mainly in the Vaganova method and have had wonderful teachers in that method.

After some minor setbacks last year, I am training full time again and hope to get into a dance program in college soon.
After that, I am confident I will go pro.
:3
By dancer123321 Comments: 605, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Fri Sep 26, 2008 07:52 PM
Hi I just got my acceptance today! Anyway, I am 12 years old and dance in the advanced/company classes at one of my town's studios. I also take jazz in the advanced classes. I dance for about 10 hours a week at the studio, from 4-5 days a week. But I also strengthen and stretch at home most days. I definitely aspire to become a professional- I wouldn't mind being in the corps of a large company or a principal/soloist in a smaller company. I just love to dance!!! I have been dancing since i was two, and started taking it seriously when I was 7 or 8. I am looking into summer intensives for 2009, because I could really use the training and it would be a good experience. Right now my top choice is Milwaukee (hopefully pre- proffesional session!) and Boston Newton.

-Dancer 123321 :)
By natalek Comments: 124, member since Fri Feb 01, 2008
On Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:42 AM
Hi All,
I'm Natalia
I graduated from Vaganova Ballet Academy in St.Petersburg, Russia and danced with Alberta Ballet and The National Ballet of Canada. I'm 27, and have two kids, so I don't really dance anymore, but take ballet classes and want to start teaching.
That's it :)
Joined this thread to get know more people, and maybe even from my area? anyone from Ontario? Toronto? Mississauga?
By irishballerinajrmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 190, member since Mon May 26, 2008
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:36 AM
Hi I'm irishballerinajr,
I'm 13
I'm in grade 6 & learning inter. foundation RAD
I perform with INYB (irish national youth ballet) & this is my 4th year
I'm a party child, a mouse, a 'sweetie' & a russian in the nutcracker.
I also understudy an angel & a chinese.
On this date 7th Dec. 2008, I performed with INYB last night, & I got totally hyper! Does this happen to anyone else during shows?

Thanks for reading,
irishballerinajr.....

btw the irish ballerina is one of my idols, monica loughman. She is the only westerner (I think!) to be part of the prestigious Perm State Ballet
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 02:36 AM
Hello!

I'm Cadbury_Eater! I've been dancing ballet for 11 years and have been RAD trained. I dance 5 days a week for about 17 hours. I love dancing (especially ballet!) but am not sure whether I want a career in dance or not.

I'm looking forward to partaking in discussions on this board :)
By irishballerinajrmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 190, member since Mon May 26, 2008
On Sun Mar 08, 2009 04:09 AM
Oh yeah! I forgot to say, I've been doing ballet for ten years now!!
By Alinaismyidolmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 960, member since Wed Apr 23, 2008
On Thu Mar 12, 2009 07:14 AM
Hi! I have been a ballet dancer for the past 15 years-I'm 17. I student teach at my studio and am planning on majoring in dance this fall at college.
By MJeanette Comments: 1286, member since Fri Dec 26, 2008
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 03:11 PM
Hi, I've been a member of DDN for a few months now but I'm new to this board. I'm 18 and am a freshman dance major at Birmingham-Southern College in Birmingham, Alabama. Before that, I danced for three years at one ballet school, and before that, for many years at various all-around type dance schools, which I never really got much out of. So that's my background.
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:21 PM
Hey everyone :) I'm Elle, I'm 13 years old and I hope to someday be a professional dancer. This is my 11th year of dancing, and I dance 3-4 times a week (not enough!), but I'm currently waiting for my results to see if I was accepted into the School of Alberta Ballet where I would dance 6 days a week!
By xoxomoddancer Comments: 67, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 06:18 PM
Hi! I am a pre pro student in Canada. I train every single day 36 hours a week. Like everybody else on this board I am aspiring to be a professional ballet dancer :D.
By tinydancer218 Comments: 85, member since Wed Apr 28, 2010
On Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:02 AM
I'm Chris (Mrs. Chris in class), I spend the majority of my time on the teacher boards and just discovered this one. I have been dancing since I was 2 years old (I got an early start) and have danced with two professional companies but for privacy's sake wont mention specifically where. Before dancing professionally I attended full time pre-professional classes and attended a performing arts high school. A few years back due to some serious health problems (not dance related) and some significant injuries (dance related) I made the decision to stop dancing for a short time and ended my professional carreer forever. As much as I loved it, I am very happy with my decision. I am happily married to my best friend and enjoy teaching a new generation of young dancers what I have learned along the way, I find great joy in teaching all forms of dance however, ballet always has been and always will be my favorite.
I am a co-owner of a studio and have found it both fulfilling and exhausting from day 1. fortunately, I have the support of my amazing husband; always willing to spend weekends helping with things around the studio, travel with us to competitions and act as studio cheerleader.

Well, thats pretty much me in a nutshell.
By Vibrations Comments: 101, member since Mon Jun 27, 2011
On Sat Jul 23, 2011 07:08 PM
Hello All :) As a bit of introduction, I have had extensive training in ballet and jazz and have trained in tap, though not as intensive as I would have liked if I'd had the time. I have danced professionally in the NYC/NJ areas and have also worked both as a ballet and jazz instructor as well as choreographer at several studios and with various companies.

Most recently, I am founder/artistic director of a newly-forming Jazz dance company based in Manhattan, which I have every intention of taking to a professional level. Once this company gets underway, I plan on forming another...this one a ballet company because, although because of injuries I can no longer do ballet, it is and will always be in my blood.
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 855, member since Mon Jan 23, 2012
On Sat Jan 28, 2012 03:12 AM
Hm... am I still allowed to post here, or is the thread too old? (Testing, testing, 123!)
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 855, member since Mon Jan 23, 2012
On Sat Jan 28, 2012 03:29 AM
Edited by JigEnPointe (245523) on 2012-01-28 03:33:24 I had a ridiculous typo at the beginning that didn't make sense.
Ah hah! It works! :)

Anyway, hello! I'm JigEnPointe. I'm from somewhere in North America, and have been dancing since I was in the womb, but finally convinced my parents to let me dance in a class around age 6. (I saw my first ballet at age 2--it was Swan Lake, death scene and all. Remains my favorite to this day. :) )

Most of my ballet education was just enough to get by, as my studio didn't focus on ballet, but I shot to the top of the studio when we got a real French (teaching Russian technique--lol!) ballet teacher. She essentially created their pre-professional division, and prepared me for auditions and solo pieces, after improving what I needed, of course. From there I went to study pre-professionally with 2 colleges in my area that are well-known for their dance programs.

I took 3 years off--a bad choice triggered by a now-ex-boyfriend--and am now living somewhere in the Middle East, where I decided to take it back up again. I'm currently pursuing opening a ballet company and studio with someone who shares my vision. (The only classical ballet in this country is controlled by Russian prima donnas, so to speak, who have chased off anyone who isn't of Russian decent or not long-limbed with an eating disorder--and that's the unfortunate truth. :( ) Our vision includes bringing a North American point of view of ballet to the country, to make it more interesting for the average layman. It's exciting stuff!

I have experience in ballet/pointework, modern performance Irish dance, traditional Irish dance, modern, lyrical, tap, West African, hip hop, and belly dance. Hoping soon to get into Highland as well! :)
By foreverdance0member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 290, member since Wed May 07, 2008
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 07:51 PM
Thought I posted here when I first joined!

I've been dancin since I was 4, so 18 (nearly 19 years!) would've loved to go Pro but living in a small town in the UK (in Wales) I was never given any opportunities at all to take more than 2 classes a week, audition or perform. That was until I passed my Intermediate (and could drive!) that I then took 7 hours a week (which I know is nothing compared to what you lot have access to). I teach and have had my Ballet School for nearly 4 years (in our 4th year now). I passed my RAD Advanced 1 in Dec 2011. Been contemplating doing Adv 2 on and off since then, but with teaching commitments, I really sadly don't see this realistically happening.

I've had wonderful Exam results from my kids from the start (all Merits and Distinctions), so this has made up for not being able to perform. It's such a great feeling seeing them work hard and get the results they deserve, I feel so much more pride than my exam results ever gave me.

My passion for Dance will never leave me and I make a point of giving so many opportunities to my kids, especially when they are talented.

Nice to speak to you all again!
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch